Dungeons & Dragons - 40th Anniversary

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well I guess congratualtions are in order for Dungeons & Dragons. According to the games website it's their 40th Anniversary.

This year, Dungeons & Dragons celebrates its 40th anniversary. In that time, imagine how much treasure has been plundered, tales spun, and towns spared the wrath of vengeful dragons over the course of four decades (not to mention, how many jokes told around the table, sodas consumed, dice rolled, and gaming sessions held). In fact, what better way to commemorate 40 years of adventure than to face off with one of the most iconic and deadly dragons—Tiamat—in D&D’s next action-packed storyline taking place later this year?

As we head into the biggest and most exciting year in Dungeons & Dragons history, we can’t help but reflect on the important role D&D has played for so very many of us.

To help celebrate this banner year, we're inviting our community to submit anniversary salutations wishing D&D a happy 40th. Have an epic story about facing off against an iconic D&D monster? Record a short video telling us about it. Still have your first character sheet? Scan it and send it in. Do you have a lucky d20 that saved the party from the red dragon? Well, we won't ask you to give up the die itself but send a pic of it in action.

Post your salutation to the official D&D Facebook page or link to it on our D&D Twitter channel using #DnD40. Don't worry about film-fest worthy videos or museum quality art. Just get your smart phone and scanner and help share the D&D love!
More information.

There's a D&D Facebook page? That just ain't right.

I was playing in 1974, and playing Chainmail before that. I will not, however, under any circumstances, ever go to Facebook, lol. These kids and their new fangled ideas, indeed!

Congrats to D&D!

While I love my computer RPG's they still cannot compare to the open ended imaginary worlds that the table game can, even though they make many things much easier to handle.

I was playing in 1974, and playing Chainmail before that. I will not, however, under any circumstances, ever go to Facebook, lol. These kids and their new fangled ideas, indeed!

I think you have me beat by a year or two, and I was playing the hex map wargames instead of Chainmail until I realized I had more miniatures painted than I'd ever be able to use in D&D, but I was playing it before there was an "advanced" version, too :)

Still have fond memories of all the 2-2.5 edition I did up to uni.
(DnD is were a lot of us started more or less I guess, for me it was right here)

I'll raise a glass (figuratively speaking, too early in the morning here :) ) of fine ale (preferably trappistes 10 ;) ) to all my old PnP mates wherever they are :beer:

(Actually they are just a few miles away and some of them are actually playing on and off instead of turning into "hermits" like myself :( )

I never really got into pen & paper D&D. In fact, I didn't even learn the rules until 98' when Baldur's Gate was released.

I was always a huge fan of the settings though. (First with Greyhawk and then Forgotten Realms). I had a bunch of D&D books when I was a kid, and I would spend hours just flipping through the monster manuals and reading the descriptions.

Last edited:
I was always a huge fan of the setting though (First with Greyhawk and then Forgotten Realms). I had a bunch of D&D books when I was a kid, and I would spends hours just flipping through the monster manuals and reading the descriptions.

Pretty much like me and Ars Magica. I used to buy as many books as I could get my hands on (Not very many as I was a poor uni student and they were never that easy to get hold of even then). Never could pry my friends away from DnD and the White Wolf stuff (Mostly Vampire and Werewolf although I did a couple of sessions of Vampire Dark ages and a bit of Shadowrun with another troupe myself) to get a campaign going… :-/

P.S We did about everything from DnD though. Started with Greyhawk, moved up to from the ashes (or down if you are talking quality or at least fun imo ;)), then Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance (lots of it). We used to adore Ravenloft and did a little of Dark sun and even that part strategy thingy… Arrg what was its name… :S

Ooops how could I forget. Lots and lots of Planescape… Still can't put my finger on the other thing…

Oh yes Birthright! Damn memory is definitely going. :-/

P.P.S No Spelljamer that I can remember though (although someone must have bought a book because I remember leafing through one for ideas in one of my many DM stints)

Last edited:
Pretty sure Facebook is largely populated by people 30+ who went there trying to track down high school friends, or joined when it was 'cool' to do it in college, what, like 2006 or so when everyone 'had to' just to keep in contact with people. Now it's inertia, with too many barely literate computer and smartphone users thinking Facebook is the internet.

What Facebook has to do with D&D, outside of EVERY company thinking that being on Facebook is required to stay alive, I do not know. Casual games?

Just started playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons again this past Oct. We are doing two campaigns and I am DM in one of them. Doing each in Greyhawk. So glad I started playing again and we are having a hell of a good time.

Playing computer RPG's the past 35 years has given me many great ideas to use as a DM. I must be getting more mellow in my old age because I am going easier on my players as a DM. Back in the day I would kill people off because I was dick :)
Now I am more about having fun and set the battles up more like a strategy game. If someone dies, I usually let the party bring them back or let them start a new character right there.

Happy 40th D&D and there has never been a game created that has had more influence on so many people. Just think where computer RPG's would be without D&D, if there would even be computer RPG's.

Gary Gygax is the MAN and I wish he was here for the 40th anniversary. I will drink a beer tonight for Gary and Dave Arneson. My life would be truly dull without their invention.

Congrats to Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (God rest their souls)! And also to Ed Greenwood for his wonderful Forgotten Realms creation. Loved reading the campaign books, boxes, and maps. May the Underdark, the Undermountain, and Myth Drannor live forever. Cheers to all! :party:

There are hints that Ed Greenwood might be voicing an new DDO adventure / module.

P&P rpgs are certainly something that I regret not funding a way to experience as a kid. I just didn't know anyone that was interested in playing

Finding, rather

P&P rpgs are certainly something that I regret not funding a way to experience as a kid. I just didn't know anyone that was interested in playing

Indeed, I didn't play it much either. That said, D&D has still had a massive impact on my life and my favorite hobby, as it's one of the biggest (if not the biggest) influence for RPGs in general.

Back
Top Bottom