Diablo 4 - How Diablo 4 is different from Diablo 3

i don't think blizzard can do a good arpg anymore, it will be bland, uninspired, the customization will be superficial because if too deep average console joe won't play it and i've read somewhere therell be microtransactions.
Overwatch and the like, this is blizz now.

So what? Dont you think they (Actiblizzard) can sell main game for 60$ and then sell best looking outfits in shop for additional money? Like BDO did and people went and bought costumes for 30$ no problem and bought more. Gamers are fine with that now, too late to protest…

That's a sweeping generalization, I'm certainly not fine with the direction MTX are heading.

It's NEVER too late to protest, rolling over showing your belly like you have is why we're in this fucking mess…

It does not matter anymore as most of gamers caved in and are fine with that crap - if it would be opposite then corporations stopped to do it, but they dont, so business is blooming.

I stopped caring years ago when I saw the trend emerging and countless gamer's opening their wallets buying that stuff. Now it's the same with game as a service and all the countless live service models. Bottom line is nothing will stop this trend.

Well one way is to get those gamer's to stop buying but that's not happening.:p

Last edited:
It's true, gamers are fine with great games.

I certainly loved Diablo 3. That said, it's not my idea of a "true" Diablo - but it was still great.

Then again, I don't think the people who do all the work on their own franchise are obligated to provide me with exactly what I want from their franchise.

Especially not when you consider how different the fans are.

A lot of people seem to want Diablo 2 all over again, for instance - which is definitely not for me.

I've never been big on repetition or slapping modern skins on archaic gameplay.

So, it's rather a tough job to satisfy everyone.

I can understand them wanting to target the bigger audience - over the rosy glasses type. Even though they did release WoW Classic - which I would never have expected.

Not a lot of developers would have bothered to cater to their most rigid audience on that level, you have to admit.

So, can't get too upset when Blizzard does something other than what I want.

Diablo 4 looks promising, though - and the couple of lead developers I've heard talking about it seem to be on the right track.

But it's just too soon to tell, at this point.

I was ready to write Blizzard off - so it comes as a surprise to me that they're going in this direction.

Heck, even the just announced WoW expansion seems to be doing what I've been advocating for ages - so it just might be the first expansion I'm playing since TBC.

Last year's Blizzcon was a bit of a disaster, and I was also ready to write Blizzard off. This year's Blizzcon was something else entirely, and made me cautiously optimistic about some of their upcoming games.

I would really love to see some more RTS games from them though. Hopefully WC3 Reforged can spark something. It sounds a bit strange to put all that effort into a new engine, assets etc just for a remake of an old game.

Last year's Blizzcon was a bit of a disaster, and I was also ready to write Blizzard off. This year's Blizzcon was something else entirely, and made me cautiously optimistic about some of their upcoming games.

I would really love to see some more RTS games from them though. Hopefully WC3 Reforged can spark something. It sounds a bit strange to put all that effort into a new engine, assets etc just for a remake of an old game.

Indeed. This was probably the most interesting Blizzcon I've seen in terms of upcoming content.

Seems they might have realised they have to shake things up a bit.

So what upcoming games were announced at Blizcon other than D4?

So what upcoming games were announced at Blizcon other than D4?

Overwatch 2.

Not my thing.

But they also announced the Shadowlands WoW expansion - which sounds very good to me.

They're (finally) going the ESO route of making all content relevant (scaling all expansions to your level - and they're reducing max level to 60 with something new each level - so you can actually enjoy levelling up again) - and the new content is going to be what looks like a combination of Lovecraft and Ravenloft.

Exactly the kind of thing I like :)

It's not quite the same as ESO.

ESO you hit the level cap and find you're doing less damage to the same monster from level 1. Then you gear up just to get back to the damage you were doing when you started. I found it extremely unsatisfying but it's not very fresh in my mind.

What Shadowlands is doing we can already see examples of in the later WoW expansions.

When you start the 100-110 Legion content you pick which zone you want to start in and all zones will scale from 100 to 110 with you. The same thing is in BfA where alliance and horde both have 3 zones that scale from 110 to 120 and you pick a "Foothold" mission which starts you off on the zones main questline. Plus, they often do Timewalking events where they scale old dungeons up.

Theres really no new systems being brought in, It's not going to scale like ESO does, it's just this time the level cap is 60. It's still exactly the same system. It's very easy to scale 120 down to 60.

What they're doing is setting all the old expansions to scale from 1 to 50 so you can level up in any zone you like except Shadowlands and then the Shadowlands content is the usual 10 levels from 50 to 60. This means leveling up will be faster, have more new stuff to play with every level and can be done without repeating a single dungeon. With heirlooms I reckon you could get a new character to 50 in a day. Especially if the allied races still start at 20.

It's not quite the same as ESO.

No, but it's the same route.

ESO you hit the level cap and find you're doing less damage to the same monster from level 1. Then you gear up just to get back to the damage you were doing when you started. I found it extremely unsatisfying but it's not very fresh in my mind.

That depends on your gear at level 1 and level 50. ESO scales your gear along with your damage.

So, if you used white gear at level 1 - and, say, blue gear at level 50 - you will deal more damage at level 50. That's using the same skill, though.

Obviously, at level 50 - you will have a lot more skills, and your combined damage output will therefore be much greater than at level 1, where you have just about a single skill to spam.

But it's true that you have to keep your gear level up to feel competitive, and you don't really start to feel your power grow until you start earning champion points.

That said, you do earn skill points and expand your power in that way.

Not an ideal approach, but it works well enough for the most part.

Theres really no new systems being brought in, It's not going to scale like ESO does, it's just this time the level cap is 60. It's still exactly the same system. It's very easy to scale 120 down to 60.

I didn't say it would scale like ESO does, I said it's going the ESO route by making all previous expansions relevant again.

It's not necessarily "easy" to scale 120 down to 60.

Not that that's what they're doing, though. They're scaling 120 down to 50 - and they're reworking skills and rewards, to ensure each level feels like a real progression.

It's not necessarily hard, either - but who cares. I care about whether it's fun - and I think it will be.

ESO cemented the benefit of having the entire world relevant at all times - and I can easily live with the downsides of scaling.

What they're doing is setting all the old expansions to scale from 1 to 50 so you can level up in any zone you like except Shadowlands and then the Shadowlands content is the usual 10 levels from 50 to 60. This means leveling up will be faster, have more new stuff to play with every level and can be done without repeating a single dungeon. With heirlooms I reckon you could get a new character to 50 in a day. Especially if the allied races still start at 20.

From what they've said, they're scaling all expansion content from 10-50 (not 1-50) - and that's exactly what I mean by:

scaling all expansions to your level

Whether they outright scale everything - or you actually have to pick an expansion, like they said in the presentation, I don't know.

But I would definitely prefer scaling everything - so I could have fun in every zone - and level up exactly where and how I wanted to.

Right, 10 to 50. You do a starting zone and then all expansions are 10 to 50 and Shadowlands is 50 to 60.

I don't think he means pick one to get locked into until 50. Just you can go anywhere you like at any time.

So, maybe allied races will start at 10 now. Demon Hunters might start at 38? Deathknights might start at.... Maybe hero classes just start at 10 too? Since leveling up will be faster maybe they don't need to start at higher levels. I think part of the reason they start higher is because there's never enough tanks.

Every time I try to make a DPS I end up going tank again just because it's so much easier to find a group. :)

I seem to recall them saying hero classes now start at 1 or possibly 10. That’s great, too, because I never played them, as I hate starting with a high level character, with no knowledge of how to play them.

I need to unlock Void elf at some point, as I like the aesthetic. I just despise the grind involved.

Yeah, Void Elf looks awesome with that "combat casting feat".

I wish the allied races were faster to unlock. I don't like it when I'm forced to do something I don't really want to just to unlock something I do want to do. It's obviously designed to keep you playing for a long time. Same with unlocking flying. It's just not something you can grind out over the weekend. It's at least 2 months of doing the daily emissary quests. At least there's 15% extra rep at the moment.

Yeah, luckily, I've unlocked all of it just because I happen to still be active. Coming back and then unlocking it is quite a hassle. Wonder if they'll do something about that a few years down the line, as they can't expect new players to grind away in BfA content.

Yeah, luckily, I've unlocked all of it just because I happen to still be active. Coming back and then unlocking it is quite a hassle. Wonder if they'll do something about that a few years down the line, as they can't expect new players to grind away in BfA content.

I hope they do, because it's not exactly a trivial task.

Considering it's a race - that you're meant to start with, it's a little silly to expect players to grind for weeks before they can actually start playing how they want to.

Then again, I'm not a big alt guy. I tend to focus on a single character.

But, I'll probably push through it.

That said, I have no intention of playing WoW until the expansion. That's often my problem when they're announced - because I'd rather not exhaust my interest before I can get to play the proper/tweaked version.

In this case, it's especially bad - as the entire point of the expansion seems to be going through the leveling experience, first 1-50 and then straight to Shadowlands.

I honestly don't know what the point of playing now would be.

Oh wait, that would be grinding my ass out for the Void Elf!

Only to find they unlock it for free upon launch of the expansion ;)

Back
Top Bottom