RoA: Blade of Destiny - Interview @ GMP

No, it hasn't. He is talking about a re-release of the classic game, I guess. Otherwise more infos would be nice.

Okay, I take this back. It seems the boxed version was indeed shipped a day or two early, and it doesn't run as expected. It hasnt hit the news sites yet, but Crystal's DSA forum says so. And they're usually right for everything The Dark Eye.

Thanks, Sacred_Path. :)

The release is on July 30th, and there are already first infos about a release day patch.

Wow, the first Impressions sound terrible... well, who would have expected it...

I'm really curious to see how they handled all the loose ends of the original game, since Blade of Destiny had lots of stuff that was either unfinished or broken (at least the eng version of the game).

Bugs aside, it does look promising and very faithful to the original.

Guys, can we wait until the official release before condemning the game? There's a 400 MB patch coming.

Guys, can we wait until the official release before condemning the game? There's a 400 MB patch coming.

I agree - the devs have to make a -5 day pre-release patch, because some stupid distributors delivered the game too early.

German Forum

Last edited:
It really annoys me, that when I buy a game today I get more or less the promise of a game someday and nothing complete anymore... takes the fun out of gaming...

The reason a day one patch is often considered necessary by developer and / or publisher is because replication has to be done 2 - 4 weeks in advance. The team still has to be paid during that time. So it happens that this time is factored in.

that's another point for digital distribution. You can have a 0-day patch and nobody will complain.

Let's see what the patch actually does :)

It's not exactly against their own interests to promise a "miracle" launch patch, now is it.

Isn't it usually the Publisher who puts the pressure onto the team to deliver a game exactly on day X ?

The questions I ask myself now are these :

- Why couldn't they wait ?
- Did the Publisher take into consideration that the amount of sold units would be higher if the press about it wasn't so bad ?

My personal - and highly subjective - impression is, that Publishers usually don't care. They are usually fully accepting bad sales even with buggy games.

Plus, and that's usually the worst thing : The gamers usually blame the developers for delivering a buggy game - the publisher usually can lean back, having "hands washed in innocence".

Usually, the shitstorm goes towards the developers, not towards the publishers who demand "day X".

Now I wonder, who has the fault in this matter (wrong decistions) ?

Simple:

They delivered an incomplete Goldmaster fully knowing that they need a Day 1 Patch.

Nothing would have happened, if there were not some distributors that delivered the game a few days earlier than originally planned.

I'll start worrying when I have the game on my HD (preordered), but certainly not before.

I think it was even only one onlineshop. It's old, well known and starts with 'O'.

I'll start worrying when I have the game on my HD (preordered), but certainly not before.

Agreed.

As far as bugs are concerned, it certainly can't be any worse than the first release of Daggerfall (tutorial not working, falling into the void while trying to climb the wall in Privateer's Hold throne room, a daedra lord greeting you in front of the exit, Brysienna not showing up at the inn, frequent random CTDs and so on and on…). :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom