Watch Dogs Legion looks pretty damn interesting

Instead of building up a character (or 4), you gain power by gathering more and more people. I presume they would have higher and higher skills but it could be that getting a large variety of people lets you tackle larger varieties of problems. Either way, it sounds like a new and interesting way to "level up."

Instead of building up a character (or 4), you gain power by gathering more and more people. I presume they would have higher and higher skills but it could be that getting a large variety of people lets you tackle larger varieties of problems. Either way, it sounds like a new and interesting way to "level up."

I'd say it's reasonably novel - but not appealing to me.

I'm big into identifying with my characters - and I find that hard enough when the protagonist is pre-defined.

Switching them around and having them be almost random is a big turn-off - at least on paper.

I'll check it out regardless, though.

I'm too big a fan of sci-fi and open world stuff to completely ignore a big new title :)

It's not novel. MGS5 has the same thing, you can recruit anyone you see except bosses. Although you can play through missions as any of recruits and shuffle them to your heart's desires, you'll use MC at least for the first passthrough through missions.
Yes I do remember you played MGS5 for 10 minutes then uninstalled because you thought the game is like it's first mission, slow crawl through a nuthouse.

There is a point in MGS5 where you lose a shitton of recruits (TBH not really, depending on your choices you'll lose a few irrelevant ones or a bunch of awsomes). Seems that WD3 doesn't have any mandatory culling mission.

Another difference is that WD3 has voiceover on every recruit unlike MGS5 and if I'm right, Hideo Kojima or any developer "celebrity" won't appear as one of recruits in WD3 while in MGS5 they do appear.

I said reasonably novel because it's not a common approach :)

Recruiting people and playing them is hardly a new concept. I seem to remember doing that in hundreds of games, including X-Com and JA2 - that rank among my favorites.

But those games are team oriented - and then I focus on the party as one cohesive unit that I'm building.

In a game where I'm one character at a time - I tend to hate not being in control of development and such.

But we'll see how it turns out. It's not a deal breaker, necessarily.

S'more details

You can level your people up! See, it's an RPG!! <grinning, ducking, running>

Looks like Ubisoft is going to stop publishing on Steam. You'll have to get this on Epic or Uplay (or maybe Stadia).

I don't remember the last time I bought Ubi game on Steam. Uplay points = discount on uplay store, so there.

The article speaks about whatever title called The Division. Neverheard of it on any store. Nor ever will. ;)

It doesn’t really matter as you need to launch uplay to play ubisoft games anyway. So no reason to buy on steam and have to launch both clients to play.

If you launch it via Steam then you get to use all the Steam stuff: achievements that people will actually see (well, a couple of people), screenshots, a good discussion board, guides you can shift-Tab to, and so on. The game starts the Ubisoft launcher so that's no burden.

@joxer;, oh! I hadn't noticed that! 20% off for 100 u-points or whatever they are. I got over that much just playing Odyssey. That does balance the scales quite a bit, even if it doesn't apply to new releases.

Last edited:
If you launch it via Steam then you get to use all the Steam stuff: achievements that people will actually see (well, a couple of people), screenshots, a good discussion board, guides you can shift-Tab to, and so on. The game starts the Ubisoft launcher so that's no burden.

I suppose if you use that stuff it adds value. I don’t though. Out of curiosity if you bought it on uplay and added it to the steam launcher as a non steam game would you be able to use those features?

@joxer;, oh! I hadn't noticed that! 20% off for 100 u-points or whatever they are. I got over that much just playing Odyssey. That does balance the scales quite a bit, even if it doesn't apply to new releases.
It applies to all releases including new ones. ;)
Out of curiosity if you bought it on uplay and added it to the steam launcher as a non steam game would you be able to use those features?
No. Steam won't put a mouse by your nick when you're discussing that game on steam forum and you get achievements only on uplay. Technical features for example F12 to get a screenshot in a game will work.

A few days back there was some Ubi's whining statements about people not buying their recent so called live service rubbish riddled with all kinds of microtransactions, from scams to pay2win. Their CEO even spilled bs that their games have no p2w (I've added it in bs thread).

Means the market, the audience, have biten Ubi's arse. And now they're onto damage control. Will they use the delay to move away from live service horror they're responsible for or will use it to tone down only the aggressive microtransactions remains to be seen.

PC Gamer Preview.

At the end of the article, it says the game will release just before Halloween.

And.... silence? Did anyone get the game? I've been playing the free weekend but I've barely gotten started. The whole sneak-into-places-via-hacking thing I did so much in Watch Dogs 2 seems to still be here.

Ive tried the free trial as well in geforce now and i got bored quickly; its just WD2 in a different city but with nothing interesting. The driving was just atrocious, plus im not a fan of the english city, accent, npcs and so on...and driving on the left, eh. Also, the team and that you can recruit people adds to the boring part, playing many main chars is not for me.

This isn't a game or series I would be interested in. I can tell that very quickly from watching that trailer. "Millions of characters you can be in the city!" Really? Must be really hollow and empty if there are really that many. Sounds like they are just randomly thrown together by a computer controlled character generator or something. The whole concept of morphing into new characters constantly is unappealing anyway. Meh.

And…. silence? Did anyone get the game? I've been playing the free weekend but I've barely gotten started. The whole sneak-into-places-via-hacking thing I did so much in Watch Dogs 2 seems to still be here.

Doesn't really appeal, TBH. As usual, though, I think Ubisoft's environment artists might be the best around. Wish they could be tasked with making a proper RPG.

I originally planned to get WD:L. I liked the first two Watch Dogs games, and I like Ubisoft map cleaners in general. But I ultimately passed on it. I don't like the central mechanic. I prefer a story to randomized, repeititive mayhem. That plus all the technical problems the game had at launch dissolved any interest I had.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

It's the infiltrations that keep me playing. Here's an area/building with a lot of security, here's a bunch of tools you can use, here's a set of characters with a few additional tools, now see if you can get the mission done. There's always multiple ways in, giving it a little 'immersive sim' feel.

The missions to get people on your side are pretty random all right, but they seem to be pulling from a grab-bag of decent missions and it gives the people some personality to start with. They immediately drop the personality, of course, as the voice acting needs would quickly go insane if they had to record scores of characters' reactions to every single mission, but I still remember that the hacker girl that can turn drones against their owners also has a crazy theory about mind controlling fungus.

I haven't found much use for money yet, other than clothing. I'm enjoying having people just wear their normal street cloths, though. Got some fist fighting that needs to be done? I've recruited a middle aged woman in a skirt, overcoat, and pumps that can dish out and take extra damage to take care of that!

BTW, are London streets really that crazy? Having grown up in a very grid-like city, the roads of London seem like somebody just dropped some spaghetti on the ground and put roads wherever the landed! The navigation path feature is a must for this game, at least for me. Driving on the left side isn't that bad, but all those one-way streets!? Aarrgh!! I think I'll turn on autopilot and look for potential recruits while it drives.

Back
Top Bottom