Eschalon: Book III - Full Speed Ahead

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Basilisk Games has a short update on their site, promising they are "moving forward at full speed" following some delays:
Sorry for the lack of recent updates to the front page. We have just begun a special “Summer Crunch Session” to get Book III back on schedule after a small delay in production due to moving the studio. All is well and production is moving forward at full speed. We’ll use this post as a reminder to follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook to keep up with minor news that is not important enough to post here. Also, the Community Forums are a very active hub of fans and sometimes we drop update tidbits in there, so be sure to stop in from time to time.
More information.

This joins my list along with the new Divinity.

Book II(book I too but book II was lot improved especialy playing caster) is my favorite indie RPG I am realy looking forward to this

Yes,yes! Eschalon 3 is the one game that I'm looking for. Can't wait to play it.

Cool, I will have to talk to thomas again to see where he is at:) I'm still excited by his other project in the works.

Actually I’m not very enthusiastic about the third game. Open world structure of the series are good and ok, also the light mechanism. But combat has serious problems. I’m not against turn-based combat, on the contrary I love deep tactical turn based RPGs (like ToEE or Wizardy 8, and waiting Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin eagerly). But since there’s no action point in Eschalon (everything can move one square at a given time) and you control only one character really cripple the tactical aspect. Only thing you do is not to be cornered by foes and bashing them to death hoping that your swing hits. Devs add some things to the second game to make up for this like adding special moves, but problem is still there. They could have turned TB to real time and nothing would change in the way of tactics.

Also, the NPCs are generally non-responsive to your actions, and same dialogues goes on and on every time you talk with them. World seems unaware of your actions. One expects more Spiderweb level interactivity here since it’s an indie title.

For me, an indie RPG must have some superiority to its AAA counterparts. Like world interactivity, deep tactical combat, intricate puzzles or such (which we can’t find in big brothers). Problem is Eschalon can’t give these (at least to me). So, I say to myself what’s the point of playing this indie game rather than spending my time at Skyrim. Because they both have open but non-dynamic world, non-responsive NPCs and generic “fetch me this” quests. Only that Skyrim has nicer graphics and more fun combat.

I hope Eschalon 3 will be superior than its predecessors and remove these drawbacks.

I tried Book 1 and I just couldn't get into it. Seemed nice, but not good enough in my opinion. Good luck to the developers. Hopefully, they can get more players to play their games and maybe their next series will be for me :)

Actually I’m not very enthusiastic about the third game. Open world structure of the series are good and ok, also the light mechanism. But combat has serious problems. I’m not against turn-based combat, on the contrary I love deep tactical turn based RPGs (like ToEE or Wizardy 8, and waiting Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin eagerly). But since there’s no action point in Eschalon (everything can move one square at a given time) and you control only one character really cripple the tactical aspect. Only thing you do is not to be cornered by foes and bashing them to death hoping that your swing hits. Devs add some things to the second game to make up for this like adding special moves, but problem is still there. They could have turned TB to real time and nothing would change in the way of tactics.

Also, the NPCs are generally non-responsive to your actions, and same dialogues goes on and on every time you talk with them. World seems unaware of your actions. One expects more Spiderweb level interactivity here since it’s an indie title.

For me, an indie RPG must have some superiority to its AAA counterparts. Like world interactivity, deep tactical combat, intricate puzzles or such (which we can’t find in big brothers). Problem is Eschalon can’t give these (at least to me). So, I say to myself what’s the point of playing this indie game rather than spending my time at Skyrim. Because they both have open but non-dynamic world, non-responsive NPCs and generic “fetch me this” quests. Only that Skyrim has nicer graphics and more fun combat.

I hope Eschalon 3 will be superior than its predecessors and remove these drawbacks.

What you say it's true but reason I like Eschalon so much is character development
where utility skills matter as much as combat skills and game is in generaly unforgiving on first playthrough I had to stop and delete char after 15 houres of play because I ended up with no food little water in middle of nowhere and no money repair my gear and no save far enough to undo mistakes.On next char I had to plan ahead I develop some utility skills too.You don't get that in many RPGs these days.

I hope Thomas's next venture includes a party and true turn-based combat. Still happy for him that he's taking this series all the way though.

this reminds me - since I'm unemployed, bored with Skyrim and reached level 9 in Grimrock - I might fire Eschalon 2 up for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom