The Witcher 2 - Character Development & Items Diary

Don't know why no one mentioned problem with bad games, movies, etc. Current distribution system makes you pay for things which could be a total disappointment or pure pleasure with equal probability. I hate this. I hate to be cheated. So I always use pirated versions for preview and if I like the thing than I pay for it. I have four copies of Oblivion all legaly bought (first edition and GOTY - English and Russian versions), I paid for two copies of Falllout, DAO-Origins, Drakensang, Gothic and many other games. In my view it's a fair deal.

It depends - if a game doesn't have a demo, or a comprehensive demo that gives a solid look at how the game will function, then I can see the "try before you buy" as a somewhat valid reason to torrent something. However, the fallacy with this argument (and I'm not saying this applies to you) is this: How many people who use this method wind up playing the pirated version for a significant amount of time to "try it out before purchasing" and then come up with reasons why they "didn't like it enough" to buy it? Some people will justify at great length why a game that they have spent a significant amount of time with - or even beaten to completion - is not worth purchasing, so that is the big problem I have with this method.

How no one sees this is beyond me.
It's just legal or not legal and that you don't realize or admit it is beyond me.

If it's not strict everything is possible. For example you could break into the house of a rich people, pick some stuff and that's it. The rich people have ton of money and one broken door and few stuff means nothing for his amount of money.

Once you admit it then the next step is easy. You could break into the house of someone who has more money than you and take some of his money to balance injustice of life.

Haha, The Witcher 2 threads are rather volatile these days…
The one in general rpg forum about aspect ratios ended up in "what´s an RPG!?" + "crafting - yay or nay?" debate, and this one about character development and items is apparently now about merits of downloading tv shows.

ik3Ez2.jpg

Anyway, dunno if it has been posted already, but it seems this article (google translated) mentions all skills (at least those within the main tree) with descriptions.
At a glance seems like a fairly robust (for an action RPG), though also somewhat low-key (which might be a good thing for thematic reasons) system.
Taking mutagens, crafting, extra (at least that´s how I understood it) abilities tied to quests as mentioned in the vid and advertised more diverse itemization into account, I think I´m satisfied with what the game seems to offer in regards to character development/customization.
Edit: Man, I need to cut down on those parentheses :).

The whole I down load it to see if I like it is crap...
No store in the world is going to let you take use etc any product to see if you like it first...from time to time they will have samples or buy one get on free....With anything in life sometimes aren't as great as you thought they were...Next time you see a hooker as her for a free sample....if she gives you one...most likely she has given you something else you didn't want

To come back to the subject, the 3 focus highlighted by the video seems quite ambitious, but it isn't.

So there's fights and class management, story, and exploration and find secret stuff. Woo that's ambitious.

Well wait a minute, but what happened to:
  • Choices and consequences.
  • Puzzles and exploration, progression or quest solving tricks.
  • World living realism.
  • World interaction level.

Ho yeah I knew it, one more dumbed down RPG. :)

Well wait a minute, but what happened to:
  • Choices and consequences.
Don´t know about other details, but from what I´ve gathered, one example could be the overall progression through chapters -
chapter 1 ends with two mutually exclusive quests, there are two alternative chapters 2 dependent on previous choices and two alternative chapters 3 dependent on choices made in chapter 2.
This basically means (at least if I understood it correctly), there are 5 (or 7, but that seems unlikely) main locations, but in one playthrough you can visit only 3 of them.
There are 8 different epilogues, which one you´ll play through being dependent on previous progression.
Each of these epilogues may end up in 2 ways, which results in the "16 different endings" thing.
I may have interpreted something incorrectly, here´s the google translated spoilery source (scroll down to "quests" section).

• World living realism.

Check out first and fourth videos here.

The vid in the original topic was only about char development and items anyway, I´m sure the other points were already elaborated on in more detail as well.
How well it will all pan out is of course a different matter.

Last edited:
From what i have seen and read on the game it will not be a "dumb down game" but like a movie i really want to see....I tend to shy away from seeing to many trailers or ...I really want to see it all for the frist time myself...But there was one video i saw not to long ago in one part of it they talk about you could be walking in the forest and come up on a nest of some sort of creature and they would have the upper hand in the fight...so I think they have tried to put alot in all of the things we want in a game...

Whatever….

Read post #28 if you care. I don't really have the energy to argue about my screwed up morals with anyone anymore.

@Sakichop I tried Hulu. I can't view it because of my location. Story of my life.

That sucks. I hate pirates also but downloading some tv shows that the rest of the world can watch online or on tv for free doesn't seem much like stealing to me.

as for as the witcher 2. Can't wait.

I'll be glad when the game is actually released so that people can start talking about it instead of getting into piracy arguments at the mere mention of the word DRM.

I wish I could give Skaven my ability to watch TV and trade it for his ability to understand a different language :) I could care less about TV, I watch one show a year with the wife and that's it. For the last couple years, it's been a show called Castle. I'm much rather raid a castle with Geralt, but I feel it's important to have that time with the wife, doing something she really enjoys. For her, TV is her main form of entertainment, although I've gotten her hooked on the Sims too :)

If it isn't available for Skaven through any legal means, then the makers don't lose any money, since there isn't a possibility of them gaining it. Studios/channels should start thinking more globally and offer better options to get content legally online, but until that I guess they don't want the money. Downloading might lead to extra revenue through dvd box sales, since I don't think most people buy a dvd box without seeing at least some of the tv show.

How many people who use this method wind up playing the pirated version for a significant amount of time to "try it out before purchasing" and then come up with reasons why they "didn't like it enough" to buy it?
No one knows, no one tried to calculate these figures. So we could resonably presume that the real answer to your question could be far distant from what you expect it to be. I would agree if you say that these approach demand basic degree of maturity on behalf of customer. But it goes the same with almost any other product so game industry in not disadvantaged any bit here.

No one knows, no one tried to calculate these figures. So we could resonably presume that the real answer to your question could be far distant from what you expect it to be. I would agree if you say that these approach demand basic degree of maturity on behalf of customer. But it goes the same with almost any other product so game industry in not disadvantaged any bit here.

I think your view is a bit naive. Games that have playable demos available are still getting downloaded as much as games without them. If the majority really just wanted to "try" these games then that wouldn't be the case.

This debate made me analyze my pirating habits; conclusion:

AAA titles I BOUGHT over the last 5 years:
The Witcher
Oblivion
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect
Two Worlds
Two Worlds 2
Gothic 3 + Forsaken gods

AAA titles I FINISHED over the last 5 years:
The Witcher (3 times)
Dragon Age: Origins (2 times)
Mass Effect (Once)
Two Worlds 2 (Once)

AAA titles I PLAYED over the last 5 years:
Most of them.

What I'm getting at is that I pirate a lot (got no problem admitting it), but I ALWAYS purchase the titles I enjoy. As a rule I prefer to lend my "blind" support to indie titles. No one should preach, is still my chief point though.

This debate made me analyze my pirating habits; conclusion:

AAA titles I BOUGHT over the last 5 years:
The Witcher
Oblivion
Dragon Age: Origins
Mass Effect
Two Worlds
Two Worlds 2
Gothic 3 + Forsaken gods

AAA titles I FINISHED over the last 5 years:
The Witcher (3 times)
Dragon Age: Origins (2 times)
Mass Effect (Once)
Two Worlds 2 (Once)

AAA titles I PLAYED over the last 5 years:
Most of them.

What I'm getting at is that I pirate a lot (got no problem admitting it), but I ALWAYS purchase the titles I enjoy. As a rule I prefer to lend my "blind" support to indie titles. No one should preach, is still my chief point though.

I don't think this argument holds water.

For one I will take you at your word that you actually purchased these games after stealing them, however I don't believe that the majority of people who steal games then buy them especially with the younger crowd (who I would assume would be more apt to steal them.)

Here is a list of games that I have played for more thatn 20hrs and many of them over 40 and did not finish them. (I tend to start games over a lot)

gothics 2 & 3
oblivion with expansions
fallout 3
fallout new vegas
just cause 2
king's bounty
Half life 2
Dragon age 2

These are just from my steam games I have almost 100 games sitting on my bookshelves. Most of which I haven't finished. So I have hundreds of hours of gaming just in the few I listed here. Just because you didn't finish them doesn't
mean you didn't get hours of enjoyment out of them or hours of gameplay even if you didn't enjoy them.

Enjoyment or gameplay you should have paid for.

I suspect if you made the games you would see it very differently.

Yeah… go to those sites and look.

And what am I supposed to see there? It´s not like I´ll have some comparative study on those number at hand, you know ;).

I think it´s common sense to assume that playable demos before release will cut some pirating traffic around the release - some people may indulge in pirating solely for the purpose of "demo-ing" after all and some of those wouldn´t participate if the official demo would be available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom