Rebecca Heineman - Dragon Wars 2 Kickstarter?

Welcome at RPGWatch burgerbetty - I love the old Bard's Tale games and Dragon Wars. Challenging combat, great exploration, atmosphere and dungeon crawling -
I hope we see a game with these oldschool values again.

Good Luck with the Kickstarter!

Thank you! We are all busy working on the game!

Wasn't the pitch for the last 90s Bard's Tale game more of a real- time action RPG? Hopefully this is a true blobber.

Honestly I trust them more to make a game that is a real one with no compromises and with very little "streamlining" and other "convenient" features. Dragon Wars was definitely extremely well designed and very underrated.

After seeing Wasteland 2, I don't mind somebody else besides Fargo attempting a Dragon Wars reboot. Go Becky go.

W2 is a good game, but BT 2004 certainly didn't feel like a revival of the original. I'm not sure what BF will do with BT but am curios to see what BH can do with DW :D

Without knowing any details, this smells a bit "me-tooish".

Dragon Wars played more or less like Bard's Tale - and the timing of this announcement is slightly suspicious :)

Competition raises the effort and quality - I love to see a new good Bard's Tale 4 and a new good Dragon Wars 2.

Competition raises the effort and quality - I love to see a new good Bard's Tale 4 and a new good Dragon Wars 2.

I'd love to see good games of any sort - but I don't think there's a rule that effort and quality is raised because people take advantage of circumstances.

Let's hope you're right, though.

You are correct, InXile was not interested in my services.

FYI, I've had the design for a new RPG in the works for several years and I've been working with Interplay on bringing back the IP, Dragon Wars was my game (As was Bard's Tale III) so it's BACK!
You sound a bit bitter about the situation...at least thats what I git out of this.

Better to pitch your fame then go that route, as I would be interested.

Dragon Wars played more or less like Bard's Tale - and the timing of this announcement is slightly suspicious :)

They announced they wanted to make an old-school game like this nearly a year ago though.

If I remember right I think she tried to get Dragon Wars 2 made several years ago before Kickstarter but it fell through.

Good luck Rebecca. I will back this for sure. I spent countless hours on BT3 and DW on c64.

You sound a bit bitter about the situation…at least thats what I git out of this.

Why do you think she sounds bitter? I think she just acknowledged that they didn't involve her which is just a fact and then she responded to criticism that maybe she doesn't know how to develop a game by indicating she does and lots of skill.

I never played Dragon Wars nor BT3 now that I think about it. I played BT1 and BT2 on the C64 as soon as they were released but then had a gap for several years before picking up gaming again. I think I might have a hard time replaying those now but a new one from an old school designer that isn't working for Fargo sounds ok to me.

Dragon Wars holds up extremely well even today, I first played it three years ago. It was notable by the various paths you had to achieve your goals, right from the get go.

This sounds very interesting it is also good to see developers hanging out here.

The questions is, what engine would be used, is there a team in place and so on ?

I don't think it's particularly wise to encourage an us vs them mentality here. It's not really competition if fans support both games and chances are, if you're a true bard's tale fan, you will do just that. :) I know I will.

In any case, it truly is a humbling pleasure to have Rebecca Heineman here on the 'Watch forums and I'd like to echo HiddenX's sentiment in extending a personal welcome. :)

Also, you'll have to pardon my awkward nerdy gushiness whilst I acknowledge the fact that you are partially responsible for some of my most treasured RPG memories. (Thank you for BT3!) Best wishes with your project and I hope all of the fans get on board to help make it happen.

Dragon Wars was the superior game back then... let's see if you can repeat history ;)

What made you think this? I was the one who created the game engine, main design and led both the Bard's Tale III and Dragon Wars projects. I was the heart and soul of these games.

Hello Burger,

first I like to tell you how much I adore your work. The Cover of my C64 copy of BT3 was a worshipping object of my youth.

The above comment just tried to point out that it was you, but technically not "she", but your former "he" that created these games AFAIK.

No offence meant, just a comment on pc.

Best of luck, Rebecca. If you need someone to preview the game later in development, and possibly write some article here for the 'Watch, feel free to message me and let me know! I'd be more than happy to do it. :)

There could be some competition for funding right now, what with Underworld Ascendant and Shadowrun: Hong Kong going strong. Not sure what impact that will have.

Back
Top Bottom