Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The shifty mage person
died in my playthrough. Trolls attacked his house and killed him, but asked about the whip. I don't know what to do with it now, maybe take it back there and see what happens?

I don't think he's dead. Just… almost dead :p You should be able to go back and return his whip to him (if you wish).

I'm waiting on the second curse, too, and have probably 4 or 5 months left, not sure, it just kind of started after I went after the trolls. I did the troll quest and
let the kobold kingdom become a vassal under my barony :D
. I just had to, lol. I got an "unpredictable" achievement, hah. Chaotic Good has its perks. :)

So much going on indeed. I have to figure out what to do next. I might go pick mushrooms for the witch lady. Trying to decide on my party at the moment, too. So many choices!

My husband chose that option (I didn't have that option since I'm lawful alignment).

Be aware though, if you choose this then you can't complete

Harrim's personal quest as the game kicks you out of the fort straight away and you don't have access back into the fort. Both of us thought that was a poor design choice :(

I'm still in the "learning the system" phases.

And today I learned that you could get an animal companion via:
- ranger (all the archetypes lose it) (lvl4)
- druid class (lvl 1)
- sacred huntmaster Inquisitor (lvl 1)
- cleric and all other inquisitors via animal domain (lvl 4)
- mad dog barbarian (lvl 1)
- sorcerer sylvan (lvl 1)

I might even be forgetting some.

So, if you played a custom party you could have 6 characters each with a pet for a 12 creature party. My main is a Sacred Huntsmaster and his smilodon is a wonderful tank. On normal difficulty I can clear several maps with just these two. It doesn't work well though because of the camping mechanic.

So, if you played a custom party you could have 6 characters each with a pet for a 12 creature party.

Yep. I actually saw someone elsewhere who multiclassed all companions to Sylvan Sorcerer to get a pets and more spells, lol. I think he use the pets to tanks.

I don't think he's dead. Just… almost dead :p You should be able to go back and return his whip to him (if you wish).

My husband chose that option (I didn't have that option since I'm lawful alignment).

Be aware though, if you choose this then you can't complete

Harrim's personal quest as the game kicks you out of the fort straight away and you don't have access back into the fort. Both of us thought that was a poor design choice :(

Yeah, sucks that that happened, I wanted to finish that. As for the dead guy, I don't see him anywhere. There's just pools of blood in his basement but I didn't check over by that troll statue. Maybe he's there?

New curse started in my kingdom! So close to finishing off all contents I've covered in beta. This is where things get suuuuuuper interesting :D

Also, I finished a whole bunch of companion quests. Most of them are quite well-written. I really liked Harrim's and Valerie's. I love how Valerie's portrait changed accordingly as a result of her personal quest. So much detail in this game <3

New curse started in my kingdom! So close to finishing off all contents I've covered in beta. This is where things get suuuuuuper interesting :D

Also, I finished a whole bunch of companion quests. Most of them are quite well-written. I really liked Harrim's and Valerie's. I love how Valerie's portrait changed accordingly as a result of her personal quest. So much detail in this game <3

Awesome! Can't believe that was all in beta. This game is huge!

Can you drop a spoiler to where that mage is now? I can't find him in his house. :(

And is there a way to change the custom portrait of your character mid-game? I picked the same portrait as Jhod for some odd reason, even though I'm a silver-haired Aasimar. o_O

And is there a way to change the custom portrait of your character mid-game? I picked the same portrait as Jhod for some odd reason, even though I'm a silver-haired Aasimar. o_O

LOL!! No, I tried, doesn't seem like you can change portrait mid-game.

Hmmm I thought the mage should be alive cause otherwise... why did he ask you to retrieve the whip? (Dead person don't need it??) In my game he was standing at north east corner of his dungeon.

LOL!! No, I tried, doesn't seem like you can change portrait mid-game.

Hmmm I thought the mage should be alive cause otherwise… why did he ask you to retrieve the whip? (Dead person don't need it??) In my game he was standing at north east corner of his dungeon.

He died and just said, "they even...took...my whip....*gurgle* *dead*" So I don't know what to do with the whip. He's not there anymore, just his blood, and I don't know of any other arcanists who would want the whip. He didn't want me to retrieve it, he just said that and died. Weird. Guess I'll hang onto it for someone who may want it. I want an Arcane Advisor + that advisor slot to open up, dang it! :D

Oh so he can die.. ah well. Guess I'm not going to return the whip then, pretty sure there will be other suitable people to take up arcane advisor role :D

You might be able to do so by editing the save. Might not be easy though.

If you go to C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Saved Games, you'll see a bunch of .zks files. That's the "save files".

1. Unzip your latest one and go in the folder created (use 7zip)
2. Open the party.json file in a text editor,
3. Search for m_Portrait
4. This is where I'm not too sure what you are supposed to do. I got a custom portrait in a folder called 110, so mine looks like
"m_Portrait":null,"m_CustomPortrait":{"$id":"330","m_CustomPortraitId":"110"}
5. Re-zks the files.

No idea what the 330 is for… :/ You might be able to get the right values by creating a new character with the portrait you want and copying the data from the starting autosaves in your old character save. BIG WARNING, the game autosaves and quicksaves are shared across all characters, always save into a manual saves when you quite the game.

Okay, not gonna say where, but if you find yourself fighting a floating blue skull, it is very hard to hit. I'd suggest protection from electricity and then buffing the snot out of one person and keeping them healed as best you can. The battle probably took 20 minutes! I only play on normal too :)

I used Amiri but she had all of the buffs I could cast or she could chug. Fun fight!

Is that the fearing skull at

old sycamore, near dead bodies at the camping spot?

You will fight more of them as the game progress ;)

You might be able to do so by editing the save. Might not be easy though.

If you go to C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\LocalLow\Owlcat Games\Pathfinder Kingmaker\Saved Games, you'll see a bunch of .zks files. That's the "save files".

1. Unzip your latest one and go in the folder created (use 7zip)
2. Open the party.json file in a text editor,
3. Search for m_Portrait
4. This is where I'm not too sure what you are supposed to do. I got a custom portrait in a folder called 110, so mine looks like
"m_Portrait":null,"m_CustomPortrait":{"$id":"330","m_CustomPortraitId":"110"}
5. Re-zks the files.

No idea what the 330 is for… :/ You might be able to get the right values by creating a new character with the portrait you want and copying the data from the starting autosaves in your old character save. BIG WARNING, the game autosaves and quicksaves are shared across all characters, always save into a manual saves when you quite the game.

The number for me is 320 there. But the game just endlessly loads when I change anything. Do I have to change all those other numbers that follow? 321, 322, 323, etc. all the way down the list?

Last edited:
The number for me is 320 there. But the game just endlessly loads when I change anything. Do I have to change all those other numbers that follow? 321, 322, 323, etc. all the way down the list?

More numbers? I didn't have more numbers.

I made a quick test.

If I make a new character with Jhod's portrait this is what I get:
"m_Portrait":"3a664504f1764d040ba3340eb580253e","m_CustomPortrait":null

then I made another character with the Asimar dude portrait and I get this:
"m_Portrait":"13340a3c79e90004a9730bfeb9c7ad1d","m_CustomPortrait":null}

I took Asimar's portrait values and copy-pasted it over the Jhod's portrait in wannabe-Jhod's save party.json file. Then I reloaded the Johd's save and it was the new portrait that showed up in-game.

Note:
1. The portrait in the loading list will still be Johd's, you need to edit header.json to change that one, I suspect new saves will have the correct portrait.
2. Looks like you don't need to rezip the save, the game recognize save folders too and loads them but you need to restart the game to see the "new save" if it was running when you made the changes. Although, this means having two saves with the same name if you didn't remove the original .zks (aka backing it up somewhere else just in case).

More numbers? I didn't have more numbers.

I made a quick test.

If I make a new character with Jhod's portrait this is what I get:
"m_Portrait":"3a664504f1764d040ba3340eb580253e","m_CustomPortrait":null

then I made another character with the Asimar dude portrait and I get this:
"m_Portrait":"13340a3c79e90004a9730bfeb9c7ad1d","m_CustomPortrait":null}

I took Asimar's portrait values and copy-pasted it over the Jhod's portrait in wannabe-Jhod's save party.json file. Then I reloaded the Johd's save and it was the new portrait that showed up in-game.

Note:
1. The portrait in the loading list will still be Johd's, you need to edit header.json to change that one, I suspect new saves will have the correct portrait.
2. Looks like you don't need to rezip the save, the game recognize save folders too and loads them but you need to restart the game to see the "new save" if it was running when you made the changes. Although, this means having two saves with the same name if you didn't remove the original .zks (aka backing it up somewhere else just in case).

Okay but how do I do that if I am using a custom portrait? Because m_Portrait says: null if I start a new character with a custom portrait.

And the m_Portrait that matches your Jhod's numbers are the same as me, but if I replace those with the custom ones, the game just loads endlessly.

Last edited:
Okay but how do I do that if I am using a custom portrait? Because m_Portrait says: null if I start a new character with a custom portrait.

And the m_Portrait that matches your Jhod's numbers are the same as me, but if I replace those with the custom ones, the game just loads endlessly.

If you want a custom portrait. Change the "m_Portrait":"3a664504f1764d040ba3340eb580253e","m _CustomPortrait":null
to
"m_Portrait":null,"m_CustomPortrait":{"$id":"XXX", "m_CustomPortraitId":"YYY"

Where XXX and YYY match whatever you get in the save for the new character.

If you want a custom portrait. Change the "m_Portrait":"3a664504f1764d040ba3340eb580253e","m _CustomPortrait":null
to
"m_Portrait":null,"m_CustomPortrait":{"$id":"XXX", "m_CustomPortraitId":"YYY"

Where XXX and YYY match whatever you get in the save for the new character.

I did exactly that and my game just loads endlessly when I try to load the save file. Not sure what's up with it.

I did exactly that and my game just loads endlessly when I try to load the save file. Not sure what's up with it.

I could try once I get back from work tonight to move default portraits to custom to see if something else needs to be done.

Although, make sure you didn't erase a " or {} in the process.

I could try once I get back from work tonight to move default portraits to custom to see if something else needs to be done.

Although, make sure you didn't erase a " or {} in the process.

I made sure to do it exactly right. I did get the Aasimar picture to work right, so thanks for that. I'd still like a custom portrait, though, #221. Also, Amiri seems to have doubled in the process! For some reason there's 2 of her in my character bar when at the kingdom. Strange...

Back
Top Bottom