Shenmue 3 - Minimum Specs Revealed

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Gamerant reports that Shenmue 3 will require 100GB of hard drive space to install.

Shenmue fans have been waiting almost two decades to get their hands on Shenmue 3, but we’re getting closer to that dream becoming a reality. In fact, development has progressed far enough for the developers to announce the minimum requirements for the PC version of Shenmue 3, and apparently the game is going to require a whopping 100GB of free space to install.

[...]
System Requirements for PC Version

• Minimum:OS: Windows 7x64, Windows 8x64, Windows 10x64 (64-bit OS Required)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti or better (DirectX 11 card & VRAM 2GB Required)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband internet connection
  • Storage: 100 GB available space
  • Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
  • Additional Info: Requires Steam Client to activate.
More information.

Well steam still downloads the game and then installs it, then deletes the installing files, so probably the installed game will be around half of that.

Better yet, just give us a bloody option for low graphics and zero audio. I've turned that crap off in over ninety percent of the games I play for over twenty years, they can really start giving us superior options. One hundred gigs on my hard drive is not something I give up lightly, that is just an obscene amount to take up, and I'm sure half of it will be pure junk.

Better yet, just give us a bloody option for low graphics and zero audio. I've turned that crap off in over ninety percent of the games I play for over twenty years, they can really start giving us superior options. One hundred gigs on my hard drive is not something I give up lightly, that is just an obscene amount to take up, and I'm sure half of it will be pure junk.

Low graphics and no audio?

Maybe they should just mail you a book.;)

I only download the games I currently want to play so 100GB is no big deal for me. Does seem like a lot for such low graphics requirements though. I guess not too much of it is textures.

I'm quite happy with the graphics that were available in the eighties and nineties for computers, anything else just seems a huge bloat to me. Heck, even Everquest games didn't take up that amount of space, not even close, and Pantheon doesn't either. I just find it all a huge waste.

If I remember correctly from my young pirate days, there were versions of games without videos, music, voice, etc. on torrent sites, and they were usually 5-10x smaller than regular games. Maybe you could look into that :D

The big installations are inevitable as graphical fidelity increases - there's a limit to how much you can compress data. But, looking at the trailer for this game, I can't see why it would be that size - unless the game is absolutely enormous.

I'm quite happy with the graphics that were available in the eighties and nineties for computers, anything else just seems a huge bloat to me. Heck, even Everquest games didn't take up that amount of space, not even close, and Pantheon doesn't either. I just find it all a huge waste.

I get that, I have no problem with older graphics. I still play wizardry 1 from time to time with wireframe graphics. I can also appreciate cutting edge graphics as well though.

As for audio I usually turn the music down so it’s barely audible and could live without dialogue but I need my environmental sounds. If I’m walking through the wood I want to hear leaves rustling, birds chirping , etc.

The reality of the situation is that unless you’re going to play indies and older games exclusively download size are only going to increase. For better or worse.

That's suspiciously, stupidly huge given that, for example, the Witcher 3 takes up about 35GB. The biggest games I can think of (like Elder Scrolls online) are still a good 20-30GB less than that. I don't think this is a sign that Shenmue III will be at least 30% bigger than the biggest game you can think of. It's more likely a sign that it's horribly optimized.

From memory, Shenmue was always focused on high fidelity and impressive visuals.

I'm not surprised at the size. If that's the kind of game you want to play, you better start preparing for it - because it will only get worse.

I've played Shenmue 2 years ago on XboX. The game is basically a lot cutscenes, with most of the action being either a "fighting game" style combat, or QTEs. Otherwise you're exploring the city, interacting with NPCs, and playing minigames (Ex: you collect / win toys playing games which you can make money off of if you complete a set).

The story was pretty decent; not terribly original, but it held my interest. That's really the only reason I have any interest in S3. Not sure I want to play the ports of the first two games again. Shenmue 2 came with a movie which summarized events of the first game and if anything I'd prefer to rewatch that. IMO this is one of those games that would actually work much better as a movie / TV series, as I'm definitely not a fan of QTEs.

Wow and I thought the Wolfenstein games had terrible compression. It seems to be developers just don't care about compression of textures, and audio anymore.

Wolfenstein size vs playtime was a test just like Horse Armor DLC.
It was selling like crazy, it got praised by critics and noone objected on it's size apart a few morons in some niche community who took an oath never to buy such thing (of course I'm one of them ;)). And then it became a new normal.

Back
Top Bottom