KoA: Reckoning - Website, Trailer Launched

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The website for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is now online, with a cinematic trailer, handful of screens and concept art, FAQ and so on. The screens reveal some conventional fantasy elements, such as trolls and kobolds and an exaggerated art style. All the current media seems to use the same hero, so it isn't clear at this stage if the game uses a pre-determined main character or if this is just for their PR purposes. From the FAQ:
Q: What can you tell me about the game?
A: Set in the Kingdoms of Amalur universe, Reckoning will offer unrivaled RPG action combat, seamlessly integrating magical and melee attacks into an innovative and visceral experience. Reckoning includes hundreds of quests, characters, creatures, weapons and spells. More details about the game will be revealed over the coming weeks and months.

R.A. Salvatore is the creator of the immortal Drizzt Do’Urden and author of The New York Times best-selling Forgotten Realms series. Todd McFarlane is a Grammy and Emmy-award winning artist, writer and toy designer best known for creating the fantasy series Spawn. Ken Rolston served as the lead designer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion before joining Big Huge Games development studio, the Baltimore, MD-based wholly-owned subsidiary of 38 Studios, based in Maynard, MA.
Reckoning is an epic, open world role-playing game that gives fans their first experience with Kingdoms of Amalur, a new universe imagined by R.A. Salvatore, brought to life by Todd McFarlane, and designed by Ken Rolston and his team at Big Huge Games.
Kingdoms of Amalur is an original fantasy universe that serves as the setting for both Reckoning and 38 Studios’ upcoming massively multiplayer game, codenamed Project Copernicus. Amalur's cultures and expansive history were created by R.A. Salvatore, and the world is being brought to life through the artistic vision of Todd McFarlane. Legendary game designer Ken Rolston provides players their first journey into Kingdoms of Amalur through the hero’s journey in Reckoning. The story of Amalur will continue to expand through comic books, novels, toys and additional games.

Q: What roles in the game design and development did Ken Rolston, Todd McFarlane, and R. A. Salvatore play?
A: Each visionary brings a unique expertise to the team, and together they have made far more than just a game. They have created a living world with incredible history and depth, filled with breathtaking scenery and unforgettable adventures. Reckoning blends R.A. Salvatore’s storytelling mastery with Todd McFarlane’s eye for artistic excellence, all wrapped up in an expertly crafted RPG by Ken Rolston.
More information.

Ok, this feels weird. A year out from release, all we have is some PR and some hype, and yet despite my normally cynical nature, I actually find myself looking forward to this. Or at least intrigued…

My takeaway after checking out the website is that they're shooting for an Elder Scrolls-type game with better combat and better story. While I remain doubtful at EA's ability to execute to this goal as they strive for mass appeal, the goal itself is worthy of praise, IMO.

Good luck, guys…

That hammer - thats not even the usual brick on a stick, but rather a barrel on a stick. Hmmm, I'll wait until I hear more about the world, story, and non-combat gameplay.

That hammer - thats not even the usual brick on a stick, but rather a barrel on a stick. Hmmm, I'll wait until I hear more about the world, story, and non-combat gameplay.

If you're going to fight 40 foot tall lizards, you need a barrel on a stick, preferably packed with TNT ..

This has the potential for being an epic team producing something new and amazing. Good find!

Anyone know if this means anything for Bethesda's internal studio, the one that normally works on Elder Scrolls games? I notice that Ken Rolston and some other Elder Scrolls staff are working on this project. Did they leave? What does this portend for the next ES game?

Rolston was retiring after Oblivion…then decided to take up Big Huge Games' offer to (apparently) make a dream project. Don't know anything about other Bethsoft staff.

Personally, I hope this means any potential ES5 has game mechanics that actually work.

Edit: Oh, Mark Nelson (Shivering Isles designer) joined them, I remember. Doesn't Todd Howard drive most of Bethsoft's stuff, anyway?

Bear in mind Rolstan had joined Big Huge Games back in 2007, so this is all pretty old. I thought Fallout 3 was better than OB, anyway, so they seem to be doing OK without him.

Thanks for the info, Dhruin.

I was worried for the next ES game. I didn't know about his retirement.

And yeah, it all seems to be Todd Howard lately. Which is okay.

At any rate, I'm glad that the lead designer on Morrowind is still working.

Back
Top Bottom