The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

The differences between Sorc and Wiz can be summarised thusly: A Sorc has limited spell choice, can't change them easily, but gets more spell points and faster casting. They become nukesters. Wizards have all spells available eventually, can change them in and out easily, but have fewer SP and cast more slowly. They are very versatile. I've played both and prefer the Wiz by a small margin.

Okay, thanks to all of you.

Which of both would survive better, Sorcerer or Wizard ?

With you being unfamiliar with the D&D system, I'd think a straight-forward nukester sorc would be easier to play. You'd have less options to do any "per quest" optimizing, but you're not likely to do much of that anyway given your inexperience with the system and the quests themselves. Get the big ol' pool of mana and burn everything that moves. The DC penalties won't matter until you get to higher levels, and by then you might be experienced enough to think about a lesser reincarnation to fine tune your build anyway.

Of course, I'm probably the last person you should get advice on hocus pocus from. ;)

Thanks. I understand some bits of the system, but others barely.
And that although I played BG and IWD.
I think my biggest learning process was when I played TOEE. This game was really unforgiving. And it is an imho just great in-game help system explaining almot everything I needed to know.

My knowlwdge is similar to … let's say you having played the Realms Of arcania series and both Drkensang games.

You know that there's SO much more lore and system/character optimizing in the background, but you feel as if you were merely scratching on the surface.

Hope I got this picture right. ;)

My biggest problem would be, no matter what I do - that I hardly ever play magicians, and never did so in (A)D&D games. Only as party members, if at all.

Best way to learn the game is just roll up a new character and try it on for size. ;) Play it to level 6 or so and that should let you know if you will enjoy it or not. You can make new ones on any of the other servers if you are out of slots and not sure you want to delete any you have atm.

Don't know if that applies to hocus pocus types, cm. They mostly suck rocks up to level 6, and we'll see what level 7 looks like. Not sure a "taste test" would really give an accurate picture.

You sit there and plink-plink away. If you're lucky, you might do enough damage to actually get aggro, at which point you'd better start running, screaming like a schoolgirl because your average kobold can kill you in about 2 hits.

Based on some of our guild arcanes, it seems to pay off once you get to some higher levels. I sure hope so.

It's tough to solo a caster, especially at low levels where you have few spells and even fewer HP's. (note the correct use of 'fewer', rather than 'less') :) Using a cleric hireling is ESSENTIAL to your survival, but playing with a group is highly recommended!! As Dte says, once you get in melee range you're dead in 2 hits or less!! (used deliberately this time for effect) :)

Interestingly enough, Dte's low-level arcane still has more hp than Corwin's Ranger. :p

The accepted power-gamer's method of leveling a lowbie Mage up with the spell Master's Touch, and a big two-handed weapon. I did so without issue on Aerii's second life, though it gets rough by the time you hit 7-8 and can ditch the melee entirely.

At 7-8, depending on Wizard or Sorcerer, you start getting into level 4 spells and the awesomeness of Wall of Fire, Acid Rain, and Ice Storm. They will serve you well the rest of the game. I farm epics using WoF and Ice Storm on Aerii. And have ran using Acid Rain as well.

Those three spells are persistent AoE damage effects. Fire one off, and kite a big group of critters through it over and over. Soon they are dead, and you move to the next group.

I recommend Wizard over Sorcerer, myself. Sorcerer costs either real money (Dragon's Blood, but you can swap freely) or plat (1 every 3 days) to swap spells. Wizard, just go to a tavern. Wizards also are capable of being built to wipe whole hordes out with a single spell; Sorcerers will not likely be able to do that in the end-game without a LOT of gear, past lives, sacrificing a Honda Civic, and so forth. They can also stop an entire horde in their tracks just as easily.

Generally:

Sorcerer = Nuclear Holocaust - massive damage, but difficult to do anything else.
Wizard = The Black Death - They don't have quite the damage, but can do anything.

In other news, Mirys soloed Elite Delera's part 3 in under 15 minutes. Fireflash is now 7 (5/1/1) and can even heal to an extent now.

In other news, Mirys soloed Elite Delera's part 3 in under 15 minutes. Fireflash is now 7 (5/1/1) and can even heal to an extent now.
Well, you don't really have much experience with those quests... ;)

I've been browsing through the forums, and in the few discussions I looked into no-one recommended a Drow as a magic user. Most agree on Drow Paladins or even Rangers.

I say this because having 400 of general favour I'm of course interested in playing a Drow. ;)

But in the end - I'll go after the class which is able to provide me the most fun. ;)
I'm playing for fun, not for farming or for work. ;)

(Although farming might come in at one point - for crafting, for example.)

And Wizards - yes, how easily they can swap spells is a definitive plus for me.
If i had a voice at Turbine, then I'd request high-level quests which can be done entirely solo, or maybe even without any hireling at all. I'm missing that.

I'm suspicious that the higher the level, the less is possible to do solo - it's to me as if they were nudging / gently forcing me into going into a group at higher levels.

I don't know if that's a design decision and/or really their agenda, but ... it's just my subjective perception.

And maybe it's just "common bahaviour" ? Like ... as if it was expcted to form groups at higher levels ? "Everyone does it so !" ?

Another thing I don't uite understand is that "character/toon builds" thing. Why do people insist on "builds" all of the time ?

Okay, a build is a very, very effective way to create a character which is very, very effective (if possible) in wiping out enemies - especially at higher levels

But what I don't quite understand is as if builds were essential ... I've read comments in the forums of games which make me hink as if thir entire playing goal was doing builds ... Not using builds as a tool, but rather ... talking or doing as if the essence of DDO was "char building" ... Like in Action-RPGs ...

Some more serious comments, however, say that it is in fact the player's game, and that - that's how someone put it - the goal is rather to learn to play with that character/toon ... Not vice versa.
And that in the end the fun factor is important, too.

I fear that this "character building" thing has travelled from Action-RPGs into all other parts of role-playing right now. I evn remember people asking "what's the best build" in Drakensang ! - To me, that's just a horrid imagination - Action-RPG - like character building in an RPG that is nothing like action at all ! Where even social skills matter ! Urgh.

And I don't remember any CHA-based options in any DDO quest, either.
Or they are just not visible. DDO is a bit too much combat-focused for my taste (but it still is fun !)

Is DDO rather an Action-RPG than any other form of RPG ?
Are all MMOs rather action games ?

I fear so, because social skills would perhaps be considered "too boring" to the younger generations to whom RPG = Action-RPG or so. Or is is just that combat has always played a huge role in (A)D&D ?

I have never looked at an official build guide, but I do ask for advice when creating a new char I haven't played before. It's VERY easy to make a totally useless character if you don't know what you're doing. I have a level 20 Drow Wiz whom I quite like. Each class has strengths and weaknesses so you pick one which will most suit the type of build you want. I would not use a Drow for the Sorc class for example.

Would they really make drastic changes? That could upset a LOT of people if they nerf builds.

It already has and they've nerfed many builds into uselessness before.

I'll give my thoughts later, right now the thread is going to take awhile to go through. but it looks like we'll see some increase across the board for most classes.

Best way to learn the game is just roll up a new character and try it on for size. ;) Play it to level 6 or so and that should let you know if you will enjoy it or not. You can make new ones on any of the other servers if you are out of slots and not sure you want to delete any you have atm.

That;s why I quit my cleric. Didn't really like healing as much as I would expect.

I found this on the forums and was thinking of a rogue instead though idk if it's really noob friendly.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2782313&postcount=5

I ran RhoGu (my melee rogue - 18rog/2fighter) up to around level 14 completely solo. He started having some trouble then, but running with guildies has him up to level 17 now. It's a very viable build, although I don't take advantage of his UMD as much as I should. A nice thing about rogues is that there's pretty much nothing you won't be able to get into. You'll handle all the secret doors, all the traps, and all the locked stuff. Very appealling if you're a "complete-ist". My build isn't optimized since it doesn't do anything with sneak attack, but it suited my play style.

Yeah I made a rogue this time, trying to stick to the build above (I am kind of n00bish at D&D really...). Made a char with the same name (Bebela).

For some reason I can't find Two-Weapon Fighting to train o_O

The enhancement system is getting an overhaul, so things may be changing drastically soon.

I had the feeling as if this - I mean the announcement of "big plans", of which this might be a part - could have something to do with the development of the 5th edition ?

I found it ... interesting, that both announcements were released within a few days.

Yeah I made a rogue this time, trying to stick to the build above (I am kind of n00bish at D&D really…). Made a char with the same name (Bebela).

For some reason I can't find Two-Weapon Fighting to train o_O
Make sure you meet the DEX requirement. IIRC, the build you posted required using some stat tomes (I don't like builds that do that, but so it goes) so you might be short on DEX.

Back
Top Bottom