Grim Dawn - Alpha Gameplay Footage

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If you read my previous post then you should already know Grim Dawn released an Alpha version to certain backers. Well one lucky gamer called Hiclang has posted two short videos of gameplay footage. Enjoy.

More information.

Last edited:
looks so unappealing to me -_-. won't touch it. visual direction is so off

I like the styling, personally. It's what D3 should have been. What I'm *not* liking is how dull the combat is - but I'll chalk that up to the character only being level 6.

I like the styling, personally. It's what D3 should have been. What I'm *not* liking is how dull the combat is - but I'll chalk that up to the character only being level 6.

That is pretty much right. At lvl 6 you only have like 2 skills.

It plays almost exactly like titan quest. You also heal after every fight. I am not sure how i feel about that. i guess it saves on buying a million potions.

Here's a longer , more detailed gameplay video from another player.

It's better than the earlier two I posted. You better not be trying to one up me now are you?;) I'm kidding thanks Dr. A.

Last edited:
I would not dare to usurp you, oh mighty tuberous one… :worship:

I must say the enthusiastic narrator is very entertaining. Some choice quotes
We're attacked, we're attacked, we're attacked!
Die, you horrendous creature!
Ooooooh, what is that thing!?
Everyone will die! oh frack, there's a lot of them
I only have one point, goodness gracious!

:D

The game looks very good. I find the art style pleasing - a rather gritty and strong color palette with high contrasts. The graphics fidelity is pretty good for an alpha. Aslo it's interesting to note that the game currency is in iron.

I am concerned about the font thought. It looks like a typical Windows font like Arial. Hopefully this is a placeholder and they'll be implementing a customised, suitably gothic font :)

All in all, I am impressed!

And here are parts 2 and 3 of the gameplay video

Played the Alpha for a little over an hour tonight, gotta say I love it!

Love the atmosphere, the score and the art direction!

Interesting setting and lore…definitely my cup of tea as they say ;)

Was/is a big fan of Titan Quest and this is likely to improve upon the formula in several areas. (Grim Dawn does use the same game engine, though tweaked I believe)

Very smooth gameplay for an Alpha build imo

Had no performance issues at all thus far, looks great in 1980x1020 with everything on High settings.

Very happy and glad to be a Founder/Kickstarter early purchaser of the game!

It's a small 6 man, indie team with a ton of heart and love for gaming and ARPGs.

I'm impressed with the level of detail and functionality the Alpha has atm and look forward to the game only getting better and more polished ;)

If you enjoy ARPGs then I highly suggest checking it out as soon as you can.

Regards,

Rol

ps - gotta love the Herbert West nod! ;)

The only thing i hate thus far is the male character models face. But you dont look at the face for that long anyway.

Sounds great. I'm hoping to hear more from those lucky enough to have access to the alpha version.

I have played for a few hours as well. For a 6 man team and it being an alpha I think they have done an amazing job. Health potions are expensive and very rare to drop, purposely. You auto heal while out of combat. I have mixed feelings about that. I love the scarcity of potions, I am level seven and have not found a single health potion yet. But I think the auto heal is TOO fast. Maybe that will be tweaked. Loot is not raining out of the sky like TL2. Just enough to keep you going and to be satisfying. Goes with the story of things being scarce in the game world. Weapons look old and shabby, like they will literally fall apart if you use them too much, or at all in some cases. Nice touch. Only 3 skill masteries out of 5 are available in the alpha. Soldier , Demolitionist, & Occultist. Chose Demolitionist to play around with guns and grenades. Dont know what the combined masteries are yet. All in all though for an alpha, a lot to like so far.

And yeah the male face model looks like Al Capone and Ernest Borgnine had a child.

looks so unappealing to me -_-. won't touch it. visual direction is so off

The visuals is what i like most about it. I love the art and look of the game.

Looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots. Art direction is little bit off, too dark, not allowing you to really look & search the map just roam. Unless there is gamma correction in-menu the emphasis seems on roaming and killing.

Good music. Very nice job for a 6-man team!

I'm glad how the combat turned out, because I'm looking for Blade of Darkness style in all games and it is not here. Wish them success anyway.

There is gamma correction btw :) I tweaked mine a bit.

I pledged in the KS too, but must wait for the beta to test, Titan Quest was one of the better ARPGs I played

Looks very good, I like the colour scheme and contrasts, sound effects, the atmosphere, the physics, and the destructuable objects/assets. I also like the balanced pacing during combat (don't like 100 critters/beasts attacking all at the same time at 100 miles/hour).

Back
Top Bottom