Forbes - Please Don't Make A Mass Effect Prequel

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Forbes has a new opinion article on the topic of Mass Effect prequels.
I’m going to go ahead and declare the Mass Effect trilogy done for good now that the Citadel DLC arrived and finally gave (almost) everyone the ending they wanted for the series. But it’s a big universe, and just because Shepard’s arc is over, that doesn’t mean the universe will dissipate. Rather, it’s likely only just getting started.

Going backwards is cheating. It’s the easy way out when you don’t want to innovate and move your story forward in any meaningful way. You already have the ending written, and have probably established some of the pieces along the way. Making a prequel, you simply have to fill in the blanks, and people fail to realize that sometimes it’s a lot more interesting to leave blanks blank. Just ask Boba Fett.

I like some of these ideas. I think Mass Effect 4 starring Liara or Garrus (or both!) would be a pretty cool idea, though honestly I’d love an entirely new series where you once again got to create your own character. Maybe you could even choose your alien race this time?

Perhaps such a game will exist at some point, but until it does, I do imagine we’ll see at least a handful of Mass Effect spin-off prequel titles like the ones mentioned. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe they could be great, but I think like so many other series Mass Effect would be better moving forward than looking backward.
More information.

Last edited:
I thought that this was going to be a bashing but as it turns out, just reading the blurb here, I agree. I don't like prequels in general, because I already know how things turn out. I prefer venturing into the unknown, the future.

I thought that this was going to be a bashing but as it turns out, just reading the blurb here, I agree. I don't like prequels in general, because I already know how things turn out. I prefer venturing into the unknown, the future.

The only good prequel Ive played is Deus Ex:HR
but as stated above, I want the future.

C

... and Deus Ex is also the only game that should get away with a deus ex machina ending. Because of obvious reasons.

Anyways, EA will do what they want with Mass Effect, which is what they think will make the most moneys. Prequels are likely to give that impression, despite the dislike of some people.

… and Deus Ex is also the only game that should get away with a deus ex machina ending. Because of obvious reasons.

Anyways, EA will do what they want with Mass Effect, which is what they think will make the most moneys. Prequels are likely to give that impression, despite the dislike of some people.
Of course they will as stated in the article it's the easiest path. They have damaged goods now, and don't have a clue how to make a new series based on the future.

Don't worry though the fans will still buy millions just like they do with all the other prequels in the industry. Besides prequels are all the rage in the game industry just like Hollywood with it's constant reboots.

Yeah, I think for a prequel of this type you either want to go way back in time (as per KOTOR), or use some type of time travel element to interact with the aftermath of the events in ME3.

Another useless debate about sequels vs prequels for Mass Effect. Am I the only one who's more worried about the actual gameplay?

Take the series back to being more of an RPG and less of a shooter, and then I couldn't care less about when it takes place.

Another useless debate about sequels vs prequels for Mass Effect. Am I the only one who's more worried about the actual gameplay?

Take the series back to being more of an RPG and less of a shooter, and then I couldn't care less about when it takes place.

good point, if they're making a prequel then they should make it more RPG than ME1 (since each game after ME1 was less of an RPG than the previous one). That I would be actually interested in.

good point, if they're making a prequel then they should make it more RPG than ME1 (since each game after ME1 was less of an RPG than the previous one). That I would be actually interested in.

He does have a good point but it's not going to happen. The company, and it's vision is different than it was in the past. Just look at the last two DLC packs that's the team making the new games.

Back
Top Bottom