The legend of vox machina

Streaming? Whatever...
Cut out the bear and I'm in. Means, it's not happening any time soon regardles of being too late or not.

Holy shit, they got over $7m USD already?
5 people gave $25k?

O_O

That is a crazy amount of funds raised within a very short time. Not something I'm interested in myself but man, they must have some kind of loyal following.

That is a crazy amount of funds raised within a very short time. Not something I'm interested in myself but man, they must have some kind of loyal following.

I've been amazed by how popular they are. Apparently there has been a big spike in the popularity of D&D and some of it has been attributed to the popularity of their show.

I mean, if I had four to seven buddies that could reliably meet, I'd love to try to recapture those days of the seventies, eighties and nineties again and play board games or pen and paper ones. But....to watch others do it??? Uhm no, I just don't get the interest in that at all.

I mean, if I had four to seven buddies that could reliably meet, I'd love to try to recapture those days of the seventies, eighties and nineties again and play board games or pen and paper ones. But….to watch others do it??? Uhm no, I just don't get the interest in that at all.

For the same reason some people watch television. To experience a story. That's not to say that all people on the show are particularly interesting to watch, but the DM is a first rate storyteller that encourages some crazy scenarios. And a couple of the players are amazing - like a gnome bard shapeshifting into a triceratops and rampaging through a guard-filled house to create distraction.

$7 million?!! Each to their own, of course, but I really don't get the appeal of this. Just strikes me as a bunch of irritating exhibitionists doing improvised ham radio. This kind of zany, cartoony, over-acted stuff is far away from what I want in an RPG. It's been a while since I played PnP, but if I'd found myself in the clutches of that DM, I'd have excused myself to the bathroom, and climbed out the window!

$7 million?!! Each to their own, of course, but I really don't get the appeal of this. Just strikes me as a bunch of irritating exhibitionists doing improvised ham radio. This kind of zany, cartoony, over-acted stuff is far away from what I want in an RPG. It's been a while since I played PnP, but if I'd found myself in the clutches of that DM, I'd have excused myself to the bathroom, and climbed out the window!

There are a lot of different d&d pod/web casts with different styles. It's not completely my thing, but it's more compelling to watch then you might thing. But while not everyone thinks the DM from critical role is the style that they prefer, most acknowledge that he's a far better DM than the average person you might play with in a home group. It's really not that zany or over-acted for the most part, but they do have to keep people entertained, especially the ones who are listening rather than watching.

I actually read the comic books without knowing that this internet show existed. I watched part of an episode out of curiosity. Really, having quality voice actors playing a roleplaying game is a pretty brilliant idea for an internet show. First it gives actors the ability to sort of due a kind of impromptu theatre with a cast of characters, and the Dm (also an actor only sort of needs to give the group an outline of a story) so its an endless story. Also assuming they were poor want to be actors and actresses it gives them a nice revenue source and added exposure. Really I think whoever came up with the idea had a flash of brilliance. Actors+Streaming+an RPG is just a great idea. I could see it work well for something like Vampire:The Masquerade, Call of Cthulu, or Shadowrun, provided you have actors with some actual ability and one of them knows how to run a game.

There are a lot of different d&d pod/web casts with different styles. It's not completely my thing, but it's more compelling to watch then you might thing. But while not everyone thinks the DM from critical role is the style that they prefer, most acknowledge that he's a far better DM than the average person you might play with in a home group. It's really not that zany or over-acted for the most part, but they do have to keep people entertained, especially the ones who are listening rather than watching.

Sure, each to their own, as I say. I did watch a bit of their show, and it set my teeth on edge. I guess I just like a much more restrained, low-key style. To me, that sort of DM-ing, and that kind of exhibitionist style, is just irritating. I'd prefer an "average", boring DM in the local comicbook store, any day.

Sure, each to their own, as I say. I did watch a bit of their show, and it set my teeth on edge. I guess I just like a much more restrained, low-key style. To me, that sort of DM-ing, and that kind of exhibitionist style, is just irritating. I'd prefer an "average", boring DM in the local comicbook store, any day.

If you like the idea of watching a game but don’t like the more role playing/acting nature of critical role, you could always try adventure zone or dungeon delve. They have more of a playing in the comic book store feel with shorter and more action focused episodes and still good (but very different) dms.

If you like the idea of watching a game but don’t like the more role playing/acting nature of critical role, you could always try adventure zone or dungeon delve. They have more of a playing in the comic book store feel with shorter and more action focused episodes and still good (but very different) dms.

Thank you. I'll have a look for those.

Back
Top Bottom