Divinity: Original Sin II - Game of the Year 2017 @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Divinity: Original Sin II is PC Gamer's Game of the Year 2017:

Game of the Year 2017: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Larian's massive, liberating RPG is a gift to fans of the genre.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is PC Gamer's overall Game of the Year for 2017, as voted for by our global editorial team. The following commentary comes from the game's biggest supporters on staff. Look out for the rest of our awards and staff personal picks at our GOTY hub as we head towards the end of December.

Phil Savage: Was there ever any doubt? Divinity: Original Sin 2 was the obvious Game of the Year choice. It's a massive, sprawling RPG for one thing. But more than that, it embraces the chaotic, player-driven nature of all of PC Gamer's GOTY picks for the last few years. Original Sin 2's element-focused combat system is a revelation, giving you scope for wildly inventive, unpredictable solutions. Its fights are a test of wit, and often result in bewildering chain reactions. Whether you're electrifying someone's blood, or combining spells to kill a boss by doing an absurd amount of damage to yourself, experimentation is not only allowed, but rewarded.

[...]
Thanks henriquejr!

More information.

About time PC Gamer had a useful article :)

I just entered the swamps (after depopulating Fort Joy for the joy of it) and this game is absolutely incredible! Way better than the first one so far.
Only slight con I have is leveled loot again.

*I* am playing a game-of-the-year game IN THE YEAR IT WON! I haven't done that in eons! (Big thanks again to RPG Watch since I won the key here.)

Thanks to the Watches Divinity 2 campaign there is a painting of me in the game. This game now being game of the year means that a very small piece of me is immortalized in one of the best games of all time. Other than my wife I haven't actually pointed out my painting to anyone else but I can't wait until my son is older to show him daddy's picture in a video game. It's a great game and Larian is very deserving of this honor.

O_O
Stop the presses!

Am I dreaming?
- Not MMO
- Not ported crap from consoles
- Not mushroombased UI garbage
- No DLC, no pay2win/cheat microtransactions, no lootboxes, no bullshit

And yet:

3NdsynjueY5tHCY9MyaiM-970-80.png

There is still hope for PC Gamer!

Well deserved, although i personally enjoyed Elex more 😊

It's interesting to note, it's not PC Gamer's "RPG of the Year", it's "Game of the Year". Well deserved, it's really a great game. Now please for the love of Bortus, let me see what my other characters have equipped when I'm selecting a quest reward!

The next bullshit piece/quote I'll be reading from PC Gamer or IGN will be that this Larian trash is "The Greatest RPG of All Time".

Hmm that’s a pretty strong negative position

If you follow Beldurax's posts, he plays on the equivalent of a Commodore64. Anything that requires a graphics card is out. But he does have glowing things to say about pixel art!

What is the consensus on this series vs Pillars? Looking to start one or the other next

Depends on what you're looking for, though in a straight up comparison between D: OS1, D: OS2 and PoE, I'd say D: OS2 is the best overall game.

Well deserved, although i personally enjoyed Elex more ��

Agreed.

What is the consensus on this series vs Pillars? Looking to start one or the other next

PoE is not a bad game, but the very strange mechanics they invented for the sake of it did annoy me, even though a few BIG patches made it more enjoyable a year later. All this could have been avoided had they just made it turn-based.

The combat in D:OS II is pure bliss. I didn't have that much fun in years. Building barricades and laying traps to ambush enemies more numerous or stronger than your party and using synergies of spells and environment is just the best.
The fun you can have with teleportation alone!

You usually have several options to complete quests and the world is pretty reactive.

In my opinion this is not even a competition. D:OS II is the best RPG I have played in years.

If you follow Beldurax's posts, he plays on the equivalent of a Commodore64. Anything that requires a graphics card is out. But he does have glowing things to say about pixel art!

Get real.
He wanted them to put the crown on Destiny 2. Or Star Wars Battlefront 2. :evilgrin:

I am nearing the end :bigcry: I have logged in 523 hrs on steam so far (tactician mode) and I never played it in EE as I wanted to enjoy the whole completed game experience. Larian has not disappointed, what an amazing game. Well done you so deserve it.:clap:

523 hours in a single game? It took me less than 100 in tactician mode. Did you restart a dozen times ?

I'm at 40 h playing Tactician mode and still on the first isle. So far the game is great and I don't want it to end :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom