Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I like X-Com as much as the next guy, but Firaxis Games made their name with Civilization.
Don't forget Colonization, Alpha Centauri, & Pirates as well.:nod:

My point? Do I need one? Well, if I do, that's enough to say I was expecting XCOM3 to be announced and, instead, I got Midnight Suns. Underwhelming, to say the least. :(

Try as they might, I really don't feel attracted to Midnight Suns. I just don't like it. I just won't like it.
I get that but blame money henriquejr as Marvel and Disney pay better. I'm not sure who approached the other first but you'd be a fool to pass up an IP that sells better.

Alder Forge Free Demo

Play as the Five Members of the Fourth Squadron and battle your foes using the game Adaptive Turn Based Combat System, shape your own path in a story driven game with a handcrafted world and unique characters.
Medieval Dynasty - Today's last notice on the virtual desk & A roadmap
We hope you enjoy playing our game right now?! Very good!

Since the game started in the Early Access everything that was planned and even things that were not planned (thank you, dear community) found their way into Medieval Dynasty. So far, so good.

We bring you some news. These news will be quick and painless. Here is the roadmap for the things beyond the scope, the things you did not expect, the surprise!
Lost Eidolons - Closed beta test recruits! Welcome soldiers!
Greetings everyone!

With the date of the first playtest phase coming soon, we've finalized our recruitment of the new cadets for the Benerio Grand Company, our beta testing focus group.

We received well over 300 applications from strategists eager to our existing pool of testers from the Kickstarter campaign, which had already numbered over 1000. Testers will help us improve the game by providing vital feedback on early builds of Lost Eidolons, which will result in bettering the overall game experience for those who will get to experience it later on.
Nighthawks The Vampire RPG - Music Of The Night
Greetings, all. It's warm, and my cat is acting as a very poor role-model by spending the day sprawled out across my bed, radiating the kind of satisfaction that you only get when you have officially Won Nature. It's hard to overestimate how much I envy him at the moment, even if he would no doubt argue that it means nothing without the treats he'll be getting after I finish this month's update. If it's a short one, you can probably assume that he gave up waiting in favour of slashing pointedly at my leg with his personal knife collection. Well, either way, here goes…

I get that but blame money henriquejr as Marvel and Disney pay better. I'm not sure who approached the other first but you'd be a fool to pass up an IP that sells better.

OK Couch, I just watched the "Why Marvel's Midnight Suns Is For XCOM Fans" video, so you can't call me an unreasonable guy or say that I never gave the game a chance. Sorry, but I still don't like it.

And that comes from a guy who, back in his youth, read a lot of Marvel comics here. A guy who watched almost all MCU movies (except for Black Widow and Shang Chi, I sitll have to watch both). I have no prejudice against any Marvel/Disney product. I just can't seem to like this game :(

OK Couch, I just watched the "Why Marvel's Midnight Suns Is For XCOM Fans" video, so you can't call me an unreasonable guy or say that I never gave the game a chance. Sorry, but I still don't like it.

And that comes from a guy who, back in his youth, read a lot of Marvel comics here. A guy who watched almost all MCU movies (except for Black Widow and Shang Chi, I sitll have to watch both). I have no prejudice against any Marvel/Disney product. I just can't seem to like this game :(

Same. I was a big comic book fan growing up, and I enjoyed some of the movies, but I have zero desire to play a video game with Marvel characters.

I think I'm burned out on Marvel after so much exposure from other forms of media.

And that comes from a guy who, back in his youth, read a lot of Marvel comics here. A guy who watched almost all MCU movies (except for Black Widow and Shang Chi, I sitll have to watch both). I have no prejudice against any Marvel/Disney product. I just can't seem to like this game.
Your a better fan of Marvel then me as I can't stand watching any new marvel movies anymore. I'm interested in Black Suns just don't like the card combat mechanics.
Count me in as another that seriously prefers reading over someone yapping at me. I don't see that ever changing.
Not to sound rude I get it but these comments are pointless nowadays. Times change and so has how news about games is shared. You have to adapt with the times.

The video news format far outnumbers the written articles for games nowadays.

Last edited:
Astria Ascending - Launch trailer

It's time to ascend! The marvelous J-RPG Astria Ascending is out tomorrow! Meet the Fated Eight and explore the world of Orcanon
Lost Eidolons Demo Footage

The people of Artemesia have struggled for too long under the crushing boot of the Ludivictan empire. As the aging emperor's power seems to weaken rebels decide to cast off the shackles of oppression and fight for their freedom once more. Lost Eidolons is a game of turn based tactics in the style of Fire Emblem and, while I haven't played that particular game, I know enough to have a rough idea what to expect.

This is a game in development. There's going to be a playtest some time in the next few days and I am permitted to show off parts of the playtest. In the meantime I thought I'd try out the demo so I'd be familiar with how the game plays. I hope you all enjoy my first look at this upcoming game and that you'll stick around for the platest videos (I'll try to make them shorter).
Knights of the Chalice II Update - Version 1.18 Available
Hello everyone! Version 1.18 of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is now available for download here for both Windows and macOS. The main addition to the game is new village content including new optional quests, new monsters, new NPC dialogues, two new underground maps and a dice game.

The next most important changes are the addition of 1,350 new tokens for characters and monsters, 24 new dialogue icons and 13 new sound effects.

When conducting tests, I used a Cleric with the Aberration domain. The creature that Aberration Clerics can summon packs a punch. It can really help with tough battles in the early game.
Urban Strife - Steam Next Fest Demo
Steam Next Fest is right around the corner. From October 1st you will have one week to try out the Prologue for Urban Strife.
Genshin Impact Anniversary - BBC News
When we were stuck indoors during the pandemic, millions of people escaped lockdown to explore Teyvat, the fantasy world of Genshin Impact.

Genshin Impact is a free-to-play game about a mysterious traveller in search of their lost sibling - and the bright, intricately designed characters you meet journeying through a sprawling fantasy land.

It launched in September 2020 and is marking its one year anniversary this week.

"It was almost like a rescue remedy for people that were desperately lonely and wanted something to do with their time," video game and tech journalist Jess Weatherbed tells Radio 1 Newsbeat. "I was entrapped in it with several of my friends for many months."

Dying Light 2 Livestream Episode 4

Learn more about the open world of Dying Light 2 in this latest Dying 2 Know episode. This is the 4th episode you'll get more details on exploration, combat, character interactions, and secrets you might find in the city. Also stay tuned to the end for a big reveal for a new character and the celebrity that plays them.
Diablo II Resurrected GameSpot Review

Diablo II: Resurrected is a painfully faithful remaster of the original classic, which makes it difficult to get into over two decades later.
Code of the Savage Update #36 - Cutscenes

First and foremost, I've developed a cutscene system for the game. I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge to implement and implement well, but I'm very happy with the result.

It's very flexible, allows me to create large and small scale cutscenes with ease and It integrates seamlessly with the NPC dialogue system.

Cutscenes are going to add a lot of life to the game, and will be integral for its narrative flow.

Check the video below. The examples in the video are pretty basic. The system is capable of much grander scale cutscenes.
The Ascent - Message to the Community
We'd like to take the time to thank everyone for their support and involvement in The Ascent community. Since launch, we have been following your player feedback closely, and it has been immensely helpful for our team. Even if we haven't been able to respond to everyone, we can assure you that we keep a close eye on the community discussions and will continue to do so.
BioSynth: Rising - That's a Win
Let me share something with you.

These are a few of the releases that happened in September or are happening in early October:

• September 2nd: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (cRPG)
  • September 7th: Encased (cRPG)
  • September 17th: Tails of Iron (RPG)
  • September 23rd: Diablo 2: Resurrected (aRPG)
  • September 28th: New World (MMORPG)
  • October 5th: Wasteland 3: Cult of the Holy Detonation DLC (cRPG)
I can't remember a month so crowded with RPG releases. And 3 classic RPGs in a month? Usually that happens in 3 years.

Add that most of these are giants and that everyone is still talking about Pathfinder (great game!)… and you see that this was a tough month.

Yet, here we are.

We're doing fine, even in this incredibly competitive situation.

Do you know what does that mean? BioSynth has all the attributes to become a great game. It just needs the necessary support.

Let's go!

PS: in case you were wondering why we decided to launch in this tough month, it's because we announced it (it wasn't expected to be so crowded at the time) and we stick to what we say, even when that means going for the difficult route.

Paradox Cancels Unannounced Projects
Paradox Interactive AB (publ) has today decided to discontinue the development of several unannounced games. In connection with the cancellation, the company has written down the value of the projects which will impact the Q3 2021 profit before tax with -135 MSEK. The cancellation is a consequence of the company’s strategy to focus resources and expertise on its proven game niches and projects that better meet the company’s requirements on returns and risk.

In the past year, Paradox Interactive has continued to focus its game development and business activities on the company’s core areas. Including these cancellations Paradox Interactive has since the third quarter of 2020 cancelled the development of unannounced projects that amounts to 265 MSEK in write-offs.

“Paradox Interactive was born and raised in strategy- and management games. It is where we have our heart and our mind and we are passionate about making games that our players can enjoy over a long period of time. Therefore we have sharpened our pipeline further to ensure that the projects with the highest potential have the resources necessary for the best possible development. We now have a promising game pipeline and I look forward to sharing these games with our players over the next few years.” says CEO Fredrik Wester.

Paradox Interactive now has fifteen new games in development, some are new titles and some are sequels on existing franchises. Four of these games have been announced; the much demanded grand strategy game Victoria 3, Crusader Kings 3 for consoles, the classic Shadowrun Trilogy for console and Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. Additionally, a number of DLCs are in development, such as Royal Court for Crusader King 3.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong Emem Trailer

Although she looks like a young woman with magnetic charm, Emem is actually 100 years old. A former jazz diva, she now belongs to the Toreador clan after having been transformed by Hilda, the love of her life.
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters Gameplay Reveal Trailer
Lead humanity's greatest weapon, the Grey Knights, in this fast-paced turn-based tactical RPG: Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters. Root out and purge a galaxy-spanning plague across multiple worlds, using the tactics and talents of your own personalised squad of Daemonhunters.

118 Rapid-Fire Questions About Marvel's Midnight Suns

We're back with another Rapid-Fire interview for Marvel's Midnight Suns! Join Ben Reeves as he sits down with John Solomon, creative director at Firaxis Games, and riddles him with 118 questions about the studio's upcoming superhero RPG!
Lost Eidolons | September 2021 Dev Update

September development update preview with ODS Creative Director of Lost Eidolons, Jin Sang. This month's features shows new UI improvements, new art, and support for the new player learning experience.
Urban Strife Prologue Demo is live @ Steam Next Fest

We're proud to announce our upcoming TBS Survival RPG will be part of the Steam Next Fest 2021 with a playable Prologue Demo. You'll be able to test your mettle against both undead and human opponents of varying difficulty while trying to help Urban Shelter break free from the grip of a cruel warlord. You can download our demo starting Oct 1, 10:00 AM PDT (20:00 GMT) from our store page.
Disciples: Liberation - The free demo during Steam Next Fest is here!
The free Disciples: Liberation demo during Steam Next Fest is here – giving you the chance to explore the world of Nevendaar until Oct 7th.

Phoenix Point - Corrupted Horizons DLC & Behemoth Edition

Out now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, Phoenix Point: Behemoth Edition brings the hit turn-based strategy game to consoles, alongside 4 content-packed DLCs. Buy now!
A new deadly strain of the Pandoravirus appears that saps the will from every being it touches! This is a deadly threat to Phoenix, but can they make use of it against the Pandorans, as well? Encounter fearsome enemies and build a special type of soldier as you fight across a new storyline with unique research, missions, and cinematics.
Wasteland 3 - Patch v1.5.3 Live
Rangers, although you may have been washed in the blood of the lamb you haven’t yet prayed at the altar of the Holy Detonation… but fear not! We aim to change that and have you fully prepared for the glowing transformation that is soon to come. Today’s Patch 1.5.3 lays the behind-the-scenes groundwork that will make for a smooth update process when Cult of the Holy Detonation is released on October 5. Along with these discreet amendments, we have a few fixes and changes to the released content as well.

As ever, thanks for continuing the good fight with us in Colorado. Good luck to you and your squad in the adventure to come. Something tells us you’re gonna need it.
The long road to the secret ending of Pathfinder: Kingmaker - PCGamer
"We knew from the very beginning that we wanted to have a 'secret', hard to achieve ending to the game," says lead narrative designer Alexander Komzolov, "and that it must be tied to Nyrissa's romance. Our goal was to place hints about it throughout the game, and drop a mega-hint near the finale. We planned that gamers would play the Kingmaker 'normally', attain a regular romance and a regular ending while being constantly 'lured' by the prospect of a 'secret romance ending', to inspire thoughts like 'is it in the game, or is the game messing with me?'"

The thing is, like everything about Kingmaker, from the spider swarms of Fangberry Cave to the intricacies of the kingdom management system, its creators genuinely don't seem to realize how hard they made it to achieve. "We expected the secret ending to be rather easy to reach when you know where to look for it," Alexander Komzolov told me. Rather easy, he says. I don't want to know what a harder version would have looked like.

@Couchpotato; Since you're waiting for this game, a little PC tech trailer to pass the time ;)

Play Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy on an NVIDIA GeForce RTX PC to experience high levels of fidelity, real-time ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS’ AI-powered performance boost, diffuse illumination, HDR and wide color gamut, and up to 8K resolution.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is coming October 26 to PC and streaming via GeForce NOW.

It looks damn amazing. Not sure it's my kind of game but certainly enjoyed the video (Guardians of the Galaxy... I would say GoG but didn't want to confuse anyone with the acronyms :p )

Disciples: Liberation - Implementing Community Feedback
The road to release is an exciting one for us, and we'd like to share with you where the road is taking us.

We have appreciated the detailed and considerate feedback, constructive criticism and helpful suggestions that we received during our closed alpha and beta tests. We read and carefully evaluated all contributions shared with us. As a result, we implemented some of the suggestions from closed alpha to the beta build, there is another badge built into the release version that will arrive at release on October 21 and there will be more to come after that.
New World Rich Lawrence Interview - PC Gamer
New World launched this week and, as our review-in-progress says, it's complicated. MMO launches are notoriously difficult and almost every game has its issues, with New World being no exception.

But there are small problems and there are huge problems: New World suffered from some overlong queues and coping with server demand, but it didn't collapse and now seems to be powering-through its teething struggles. PC Gamer spoke to Rich Lawrence, the head of developer Amazon Games (AG), about New World's first days in the wild, �and what was going on behind-the-scenes.
Why Starfield won't be Fallout in Space - TechRadar
AAfter years of anticipation, speculation, and a few leaks, at E3 2021, Xbox and Bethesda finally confirmed what gamers around the world had been waiting to hear. Starfield, the next big RPG from Bethesda Game Studios, had a release date. And while its November 11, 2022 launch was almost 18 months away, the newly released teaser trailer, giving us the first look at the world of Starfield, only further stoked the excitement of fans.

However, for those who’ve grown tired of the Bethesda formula, there’s been a lingering worry since the reveal that Starfield won’t be the revolutionary new step in the history of the legendary studio that they’re promising. Much in the same way that you can very much feel the DNA of Fallout 3 in Skyrim, many are wondering if Starfield is poised to be little more than Fallout in space.

So, with details thin on the ground, we’ve decided to put your mind at ease with a collection of reasons why we think Starfield probably won’t be Fallout in space. We’ll be looking at things like the brand new lore that Bethesda gets to establish, the technological advancements, and the fact that, instead of a burned-down corner of America, Todd and the gang have all of the cosmos to play with.
Is Dishonored Basically A James Bond Game In Disguise? - PureXbox
I think my main takeaway from all of this is that I would love to see Arkane Studios handle the James Bond franchise. While I'm confident IO Interactive will do a superb job with their upcoming title, Arkane has perfectly demonstrated it can handle the action set-pieces along with the slower stealth-based moments almost perfectly. IO has done a fantastic job with Hitman, but I'm not so sure it'll nail the all-guns-blazing moments that Bond often finds himself in.
Elden Ring Difficulty, Gameplay Details Revealed at TGS 2021 - DualShockers
While Elden Ring was not featured directly at Tokyo Game Show 2021, the Famitsu x Dengeki TGS 2021 stream on October 3 featured Yasuhiro Kitao of FromSoftware, who shared some development updates and new details on the dark fantasy action JRPG, we translated everything below.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Just watched this trailer.

This is so crazy.

And that's why I like it.

If only it has been a little bit more slower …
… I guess that I'm too old for so much action now … ;)

… Seriously, why can't the cool games be more … thoughtful ? Like the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, maybe ?

Yeah Alrik, that Tiny Tina game looks pretty interesting to me. Looks like something that could be completely bonkers, and I hope that's just the way it plays!
Did you play the predecessor "Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep" (a DLC for Borderlands 2)? Very funny and with many references to RPGs, movies and TV series!

No, I've not played that. I played the first Borderlands and, with the ridiculous respawn that the game produced, I decided the franchise just wasn't for me. Sound like I might have missed something hilarious!

Back
Top Bottom