Bioshock - Demo on the Way?

It's your perspective that it's a roadblock - fair enough. My perspective is that it is a better choice than problematic CD-based systems. Maybe it's just as simple as they believed this is a superior option for both them and the consumer? There was a thread over at Qt3 a while back on security measures and quite a few posters said "just make it a one-time activation" (not everyone, obviously). Maybe a lot of people actually prefer this.

Well, we can always go back to using StarForce instead ...

*ducks behind desk, narrowly avoiding several rotten tomatoes, 5 eggs (3 raw and 2 hard boiled) and a wheelbarrow full of brown and slimy lettuce*

If the developers released a patch to remove the online activation when they no longer support the game and want to take down the activation servers, then I would have absolutely no problem with it.

But really, the only kind of pirating that any copy protection stops, online activated or otherwise, is casual copying by friends.

To alleviate the confusion caused by my earlier statement: I was not in any way claiming that "software developers (as opposed to publishers) are all about the community and care more about the customer than the bottom line". I was simply stating that I think software developers are more aware of the fact that copy protection does nothing to stop piracy, whereas software publishers are more out of touch with their industry. Therefore a software developer would be more likely to skip copy protection (or use a simple serial#) because they are quite aware that it just hurts paying customers and not the criminals they are targeting.

I have not yet had to activate an old game that I wanted to play again and found that it's activation server is no longer available. But when I do, I am going to be *pissed*!

That´s less than expected. ;)

Let´s wait for reviewers who actually get enough time to play the game extensively.

That´s less than expected. ;)

Let´s wait for reviewers who actually get enough time to play the game extensively.

Hmmm ... exactly what I was thinking. I remember railing about PCGamer giving both Half-Life 2 and FEAR extremely high scores as 'reviews' when in both cases they were playing non-gold code and playing in the developers office. I'm just too tired to bother now ... I'm sure the game is wonderful, but I think that the light of reality will discover a couple of flaws that these guys didn't catch in their ... eh .. analysis.

PCGamer is known for giving out high review scores like candy. I don't consider 95% extremely high for them. Their track record isn't all that bad though, Half-Life 2 and FEAR ended up being mostly deserving of their scores. HL2 was definitely a little too high I'll agree.

Back
Top Bottom