Bard's Tale IV - Directors Cut Releasing August 27th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Director's Cut for The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep will release August 27th.

We're happy to announce that The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut will be arriving digitally on Windows, Mac, Linux, Xbox One, Xbox Game Pass (PC and Xbox), and PlayStation 4 on August 27!

If you already own the game on PC when the Director's Cut arrives, you'll receive the update for free with the game's release on August 27, and it will show up as a new product in your games library listed as The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut.

For the digital Director's Cut we're making the choice for new purchasers much clearer with new Standard and Deluxe Edition. Because the Director's Cut is a free upgrade for current owners, anyone who owns the base game will receive the Director's Cut Standard, and those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition. For our backers who may have retrieved digital rewards through CrowdOx before, you will be receiving The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Deluxe Edition and all your digital items will now be tied to your Steam/GOG accounts.

A reminder for Mac & Linux users: your Steam and GOG keys are already available via CrowdOx if you haven't redeemed them yet. The keys are universal, meaning they work with whichever system you are running Steam/GOG on (Windows, Mac, Linux). There are no Mac- or Linux-specific keys needed.

For non-backers reading this, here's a breakdown of The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut editions.

[...]
More information.

Definite good news.

I have a very important question though, will my save work with the new version? I am at roughly half the game now, stopped to wait for the update.

I was dissapointed to discover my saves did not work with Updated Wasteland 2 when i was nearly at the end of game. Nor with updated Divinity Original Sin :(

I doubt it but i don't know for sure. However if it is like wasteland 2 and D:OS you can still play hte original with your save just have to start over if you play hte director cut.

I have a very important question though, will my save work with the new version? I am at roughly half the game now, stopped to wait for the update.

I was dissapointed to discover my saves did not work with Updated Wasteland 2 when i was nearly at the end of game. Nor with updated Divinity Original Sin :(

Looks like my first replay of this product will be quite different from the original play-through. It might not have been a perfect game, not even close honestly, but I respect the efforts the builders have shown to finish the job, and even polish it up a bit.

Nearly to end, trying to catch a breath before I do more puzzles. If I can't use my saves on directors cut I couldn't go through it again, especially with all those puzzles. :bigcry:

Same happened with Wasteland 2 directors cut. Moral of the story is to wait until director cut comes out!

As a huge blobber fan I was going to make a full playthrough but postponed to play the game when I first heard of this version. My boxed version still waiting on the shelf winking at me. But I'm going to resist. Only one and half month left.

I found this game to be quite disappointing...outside of the graphics and music.

Nice. I picked up the base game on sale so I can ride the free update.

Sorry but saves will not work with the directors cut. This has been confirmed on the official forums.

Nearly to end, trying to catch a breath before I do more puzzles. If I can't use my saves on directors cut I couldn't go through it again, especially with all those puzzles. :bigcry:

Same happened with Wasteland 2 directors cut. Moral of the story is to wait until director cut comes out!

I replayed WL2 with the DC about 2 years after I played the game on release. I doubt I'll do the same with BT4 though. I certainly enjoyed the game, especially the first 10-15 hours, but pretty much forced myself to complete the final dungeon. And almost didn't make it through the final fight because the tactics that had allowed me to crush everything else didn't work…took many reloads before I found a way to finish (the boss always goes first, and he insisted on one-shotting half my team before I got to make a move.)

Aye, by the end of Bard's Tale Four, it was becoming more of a chore to finish rather than a fun journey. I'm hoping the next time I play, since I'll likely breeze through the puzzles much quicker, the second trip will be superior to the first. If I'm wrong and it bores me early, I'll feel just fine aborting the attempt.

I'll probably replay the director cut to see how it compared to the orignal. I found most of the puzzles pretty easy ('cept for those that were sound base - which I had to use a cheat). Mind you I think the puzzles were well above average in quality - but i can see that many would have found them excessive in total count. I really do think the original had a basis for a very good game - it just might not have been the game folks were looking for - esp backers. The weakest point (other than not really being the same type as the previous bt games) was the rpg aspect. That doesn't bother me much since i like a lot of different types of games but i could see how it disappointed others.

I'll probably replay the director cut to see how it compared to the orignal. I found most of the puzzles pretty easy ('cept for those that were sound base - which I had to use a cheat). Mind you I think the puzzles were well above average in quality - but i can see that many would have found them excessive in total count. I really do think the original had a basis for a very good game - it just might not have been the game folks were looking for - esp backers. The weakest point (other than not really being the same type as the previous bt games) was the rpg aspect. That doesn't bother me much since i like a lot of different types of games but i could see how it disappointed others.

I enjoyed most of the puzzles as well, but the larger beam ones and the giant cogwheel puzzle in the end dungeon were not among them, they were more tedious than fun. I never understood the complaints about all the fairy puzzles since those were relatively quick to do, as was moody of the others.

Back
Top Bottom