Risen - Fred the Skeleton's Blog

Are you talking about actual in-game footage? Which video is this?

I don't know about a video but Fred the skeleton is e.g. mentioned in this hands-on article from the GamesCom in August. It wouldn't seem unreasonable to assume that there are possibly a couple of GamesCom videos floating around the web where Fred is shown, too.
Besides, Risen is USK 12 and it's going to have quite its good share of silliness with the nose-picking gnomes etc. - Deep Silver, PB, and the Risen communities just celebrated the "International Day of the Gnome" last week.

I hope that they don't overdo it either but given the facts so far one should definitely prepare for a game that is a lot less serious than the Gothics.

That's definitely not what I want to hear. I don't mind a little humor, but I don't want to be seeing slapstick style comedy in a game like this. Hopefully they keep that kind of stuff to a minimum.

Cool a little comedy never hurts, but I'm with JDR I hope they don't overdue it.

For Divine Divinity it was placed perfectly, but this isn't Divine or Quest for Glory or Spellcasting 101. "This is SPARTA....", oops I mean "This is RISEN!!!!" Only serious roleplaying allowed. ;)

Bbbbbut, without the tophat, where will they find the rabbit? :)

Oh...kay. I guess.

Speaking of dead people in formal attire, does anyone else think a voodoo-themed cRPG would be cool, or is it just me as usual?

baron_samedi_by_domigorgon.jpg

This Fred the humourous skeleton sillyness has set my enthusiam drooping, i think i'll put my release day purchase intentions on hold. I'll wait for further feedback on these forums before making the final decision. As a serious PB games fan i only hope this isn't for real, it reeks of juvenile consolitis syndrome, its not what i want to hear...damn!

I don't think that eastereggs ruin games.

A skeleton named Fred? What so awfully wrong with that, we had a sheep in Gothic 2 called Betsy, never saw anyone complain bout that.

It will be just a simple skeleton tagged Fred. Shit it will ruin the game completely.

I don't think that eastereggs ruin games.

A skeleton named Fred? What so awfully wrong with that, we had a sheep in Gothic 2 called Betsy, never saw anyone complain bout that.

It will be just a simple skeleton tagged Fred. Shit it will ruin the game completely.

Betsy was a side piece that existed for ~ 10 minutes. The concern is that the skeleton will be a major side-figure.

Exactly. I don't even remember this 'Betsy'….. which is a good thing. :)

It was a minor thing, nothing too odd, and not required in the least ... which makes it perfect.

You had to bring a sheep to the monastery to get accepted!!

IIRC, Betsy was the sheep you need to gain entrance to the monastery. Personally I hated that part. Making sure that silly sheep stayed up with me was a pain.

Edit: Corwin beat me to the punch. I guess I did recall correctly :)

IIRC, Betsy was the sheep you need to gain entrance to the monastery. Personally I hated that part. Making sure that silly sheep stayed up with me was a pain.

Edit: Corwin beat me to the punch. I guess I did recall correctly :)

I was very fortunate that I had already cleared that entire path so it was just a matter of walk-n-wait.

I'm not that much "hardcore" than you, I actually like the idea of Fred. :)

Otherwise Risen would be too much "serious gaming" for my personal taste ... When I think of Gothic 1, I once wrote a "different angle" thingy on the official JoWood forums about the layout of the society on Gothic 1 - no women allowed, please.

It's so much about playing a hard, strong man that this series has become - imho, of course - the dearm of every male RPG player who wants to go on a "hero's journey", and women are only allowed as a sidekick or as "pets", like in Gothic 1.

I don't have the words for what i mean, but Gothic and is whole series has *so much* become the symbol of machismo that I can't stand it anymore. To me, it often feels as if this series was designed by men who are still in an age which considers girls as a pure nuisance, annoying, nothing more, and colours and anything sweet would become the instant death of any *real* male player !

I'm exaggerating, of course, because exaggeration is the tool I usually use to make clear what I mean because I just have not the words to be as subtle in expressing what I mean than I'd like to.

My personal opinion is clear: Gothic and its whole series is rather a "rallying point" of all male gamers who are rather into machismo.

This explains - in my personal opinion - the aversion of most gamers towards elements like Fred & Betsy.

"Fred, das Skelett" rhymes in German. And if it rhymes it's good! ;)

New video from risengame.ru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=754CSNqNa5U&feature=player_embedded

High quality but massive spoilers starting at ca. 3:10!

It's not clear how representative the material is. There were rumors this site is very close to the Russian publisher.

Back
Top Bottom