The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Going by our Friday discussion:

Me - Alchemist?
Peter - Fire Sorc
CM - Some sort of Inquisitive mutt
Jo - Unknown
Corwin - Soulstone/Sorcerer
Tom - Bard Stick Build

Since CM is going for a build with trapping capabilities, I don't see the need to push two trappers in the Friday group. Alt groups maybe, but not when we never generally run without the full group together. Since Alchemist should be out by the time we hit 20 (U45), I may just do Alchemist. Since it's still early, I don't have a build planned, and since it worked so well for Fireflash, I'll probably just half-ass it again. :p

Two things to add-
1) I re-jiggered the bard build to be more appropriate for front line work. He's still focused on being a buff-bot, but he won't be quite so squishy. Still probably not a true front liner, but with this group everything will probably be dead before anyone can get to melee range anyway. That's Phuury's next life either way.
2) As an alternative should the group want it, I've got a barbarian build mapped out that I could bring to the table. Should be quite the cuisinart unless it works out that jumping in the middle of a mob and cleaving away pulls more aggro than she can survive. This is Klubbir's next life, although she's human this time around- I just couldn't swallow sticking with warforged for roleplay purposes.

These days, I think every group needs/deserves to have a Bard. Their songs are just too effective to ignore!!

Certainly, but we've got a bit of a mess given that the party healer will also be the party front liner and a slightly squishy front liner at that. Kinda depends on what JM decides to do and whether an alchemist will be able to serve as an emergency healer (which will depend on Az's build if it's even possible based on the enhancements).

edit- based on the video Alrik put up a few posts back, alchemist will have a healing tree. Sounds like a fairly boring tree, though, particularly since Az is already running a cleric this time around. Even if he dabbles, I don't think he'll get rezzies except thru UMD. We'll really need to see what JM has in mind. One thought that I did have was doing a variant on Az's asshole cleric- except necro instead of lightning. Kinda the guy from Temple of Doom. Phuury needs a cleric life so that wouldn't be a waste. Would definitely be sacrificing such front line as we've got, so that would absolutely pend on JM's choices. We'll see.

Last edited:
Remember that charisma based characters (like my sorcerer) will be able to scroll cast heal, greater restoration and so on. I will e. g. pick up wand and scroll mastery so the heals will be more effective. Scroll healing can therefore also work as backup healing.

The main thing is that we spend enough time between battles to allow backup healers to complete healing. Scroll healing is slower and you can only heal one target at a time. Clerics, bards etc. have mass cures speeding up recovery after battles.

I think we will have enough healing in our group to not having to let anyone alter their intended build to pick up more healing capabilities.

Each of us need to adapt our playing style to which toons we have in a group. If we have a healbot we can just do our regular business and expect to be auto healed once we are hit a bit. When relying upon backup healers we have to be more careful and disengage from battle when hit hard to give the backup healers time to heal you.

Running away and hide behind a corner is sometimes a smart move. You hear that, Corwin. :lol:

Yeah, run and hide so the healer can't find you and you're blocked, but strangely the worst monster in the mob has no NO trouble finding and killing you!! Been there, done that!!!! :p :)

Obviously the strategy is to kill everything before it sees us. The group should be VERY high damage output, just off the trio of casters (or two casters and one Foster Brooks) and Inquisitive.

Alchemist heals are tossed potions, much like the curative admixtures in the Artificer tree. So they'll be slower than 'live' heals, and probably not something you want to rely on in an oh shit situation. Better than scroll healing at least.

If you need help, you can call me as well - for some tme (time zones !).
I still have almost only low-level characters, though.

Alrik, you are always welcome to join us when we play as is anyone else from the Watch!! That's why the Guild is called RPGWatch.

Thank you. :)

It's just this time zones thing ... :lol:

The DDO Chronicle says that Update 45 "Age Of The Alchemist" arrives next week :

The Risia Ice Games (and their Midwinter counterpart) are on until February 11.

DDO Bonus Days bring you +10% Heroic and Epic XP, now through February 9th!
Improve Your Character! Get 20% off:
Select Stat Tomes and Skill Tomes
Tomes of Heroic and Epic Learning
Harper Agent Enhancement Tree
Now through February 13th!
The Weekly Coupon gets you a free Long Lasting Bull's Might Potion x5 with the Coupon Code DOYOULIFT, now through February 13th!

Question, on new TR group what level we starting at. All staying at one and hitting borderlands as a group?

Either that, or a quick Korthos run, perhaps minus the final Misery, the solos and then group up at level 2!!

I vote for Borderlands right out of the TR. I actually haven't done a TR yet where I had the option to skip Korthos so I'm a little giddy about giving it a Coke and a smile.

If you tell me when you want to start, I could join. I have several low-level characters there. Most of them are between 4-6, though.

Besides, if you want to do Catacombs or Delera before the new version gets live, do it this week. It's the only way to get both quest chains unchanged once again. The loot isn't affected, but the athmosphere. Especially the room for talking to the Archbishop was massively reworked on Lamannia. They even added a different voice actor (the one announcing the Risia Ice Games) at least for Catacombs, I did the first quest of that in Lamannia. They changed the interieur a bit as well. Both will get Epic variants as well, if I remember correctly.

I vote for Borderlands as well; the quests are fairly fun, quick, and most importantly, we haven't ran them to death. I may go ahead and solo the Korthos stuff though, just to get a feel for Alchemist since it'll be a new class to me (and all of us).

Alrik, our current Friday group is 19, and will likely be hitting against 20 next Friday or the Friday after. I'm going Alchemist, so regardless it'll have to be post U45 when we do the TR. I don't know what time zone you are in, but Peter, who is in Norway, is on early in the morning for our runs.

As to Alchemist, they are the penultimate INT class. As bonus feats, they can get INT to damage and to hit (from one feat), INT to Will saves, INT to Fort saves, and they get Insightful Reflexes (INT to Reflexes) for free. They also can pick up Evasion like a Rogue. Other than that, it looks like they're a throwing weapon class. Which means I've got to craft a bunch of weapons, because I have very few throwers.

Is it worth soloing some of the Korthos stuff first just to get a level? How will I survive without my Korthos gear??!! :D

lol

I've been trying out the Bombardier class on Lamannia. It was a chore at level 1 and level 2. I mean, I tried to use only their spells, but I did much more damage with a melee weapon, it seemed to me (a mace in this case).

Here is an overview from Lamannia : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/511781-U45-Preview-2-Alchemist-Base-Class

Someone wrote a more practical overview : https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthre...t-Variants-and-Spell-Strategy-Planning-Primer

The class is a bit more complex than other classes, imho.

Casters are always more difficult at low levels to start. For all my Wizards and Sorcerers, my usual strategy has been to us Master's Touch and a great axe for several levels; usually until I get Firewall. Clerics and Favored Souls usually end up sword and boarding due to a lack of good weapons for a long time, though clerical domains helped with that quite a bit. Until you get the spells to support an offensive caster, whacking things with a stick is the best route to success.

If I might offer a correction, Az-- :p

Whacking things with a stick is ALWAYS the most pleasant route to civilized monster genocide, even if higher levels are currently ruled by those silly hocus-pocus types.

In other news...
I brought Klubbir around as a human barbarian cleaving fool. After being all excited about skipping Korthos, I was convinced that I had somehow lost Borderlands access on my new rig. Marched all over that damn island looking for some way to get to the Keep. Finally used the wiki to locate the stupid guy that teleports you across to the Keep from Korthos. Not my best moment.

Back
Top Bottom