Witcher Sound stuttering & slow down problem

The Witcher

Remus

Antihero
Don't now why, during prolouge chapter the Witcher EE play fine. But half way through chapter one, the game starting encountering the sound stuttering and game paly slow down problem (during combat only). I update the video driver and disable sound in game but to no effect. Any idea?

Sounds like it's either memory-related or CPU-bottleneck-related. Try turning down texture resolution a notch. I did that when the going got stuttery in Vizima Trade Quarter, and it solved the problem (I could keep max settings everywhere else).

If that didn't work, switch off character shadows -- those are CPU-rendered, and the fact that it only happens during combat suggests that this could be the problem.

But i never have that kind of stuttering and slow down with previous version (non EE).

I can't be sure when but about few days ago i changed my X-Fi audio from game mode to entertainment mode. Now after changed it back, no stuttering and slow down during combat anymore.

Woot!, Geralt now is fast and smooth cutting through every swamp monsters he met...

I can't be sure when but about few days ago i changed my X-Fi audio from game mode to entertainment mode. Now after changed it back, no stuttering and slow down during combat anymore.

Woot!, Geralt now is fast and smooth cutting through every swamp monsters he met...

Maybe I need to fiddle with my audio options, I also have a X-Fi Soundblaster card.

This game is running terrible in the Swamp level for some reason. It runs great in all the other sections of the game that I've been to so far.

Do that, the swamp area should be less demanding on hardware than e.g. the Merchant Quarter (that was the only place where I had visible slowdowns).

Do that, the swamp area should be less demanding on hardware than e.g. the Merchant Quarter (that was the only place where I had visible slowdowns).

Funny thing, I just discovered that I had never checked "EAX" in the audio options to begin with, so all this time I had actually been playing without it. Enabling it brought a distinct improvement in sound quality, as well as a boost in framerate.

To bored to search so I try my luck, what you need to be able activate EAX in games?

The Sound Blaster series of sound cards by Creative Labs. I think some other name brands also support EAX to a lesser degree.

Old thread, I know and apologize. But I want to ask: so, EAX and a Sound Blaster card improves performance in games? I've only had on-board sound for the last two PC's I've had. This might be interesting when I decide to build a new one. This one is 5 years old.

Oh, and I got to this thread by searching for sound stuttering. I have stuttering and disappearing sound in The Witcher during cut-scenes. Anyone have a solution to that? :p

Sorry for digging this up.

Old thread, I know and apologize. But I want to ask: so, EAX and a Sound Blaster card improves performance in games? I've only had on-board sound for the last two PC's I've had. This might be interesting when I decide to build a new one. This one is 5 years old.

Oh, and I got to this thread by searching for sound stuttering. I have stuttering and disappearing sound in The Witcher during cut-scenes. Anyone have a solution to that? :p

Sorry for digging this up.
Onboard sound chips can cause all kinds of problems in many games, even without taking EAX into account. Sometimes it helps to use alternate sound sources/drivers in games (e. g. miles sound system IIRC) instead of the windows default option.
Sometimes stuttering in cut-scenes comes from some incorrect sync between sound and video. You may want to try playing the cut-scene outside ofthe game (don't remember if the whitcher video files are accessible outside of the game) and check if they play normally then. In that case it is not the fault of your sound card.

Back
Top Bottom