The TV Series discussion thread

There have historically been those that just done get or appreciate Lynch, and those that do. I'm really interested to see if several of his works are finally going to be connected during this series.

There have historically been those that just done get or appreciate Lynch, and those that do. I'm really interested to see if several of his works are finally going to be connected during this series.

I don't necessarily think it's about getting it so much as liking it :)

But I like some of his work. I liked Mulholland Drive, for instance.

Anyone else excited about the new Twin Peaks season, starting tonight? I'm currently re-watching the old series, to get a refresher. I'm pumped for the series. And I hope it does well. I'm hungry for some David Lynch weirdness. :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4093826/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Boy, I'm torn on this.

I am definitely a peaker from back in the day. We even made a movie based on it.The second season of Twin Peaks was even more boring than the pilot. It jumped the shark when it was revealed who killed Laura. Would have been smart to end the series right there.

I am disappointed that Sherilyn Fenn is not back, and really, really disappointed that Michael Ontkean isn't reprising Sherriff Truman. Its like having Wayne Rogers in I Dream of Jeanie.

The other problem I have is that it will be that its on Showtime and its going be really graphic as far as I can tell like Blue Velvet or Wild at Heart or how I heard Fire Walk with Me was.

And Mulholland Drive is one of the past projects that I'm wondering if it connects with the Twin Peaks universe at all. Lost Highway pretty much does almost in fact, just without actually stating it. Answers could be forthcoming!

I missed Twin Peaks back in the day. I've tried watching it recently, but it clearly feels like something that belonged to its time. Certainly, I wasn't impressed.

I also saw it plenty of years later. I was too young for when it first aired.
And I loved it. I love 90% of what Lynch creates. And I loved Twin Peaks for the weirdness, atmosphere and great characters. Very much looking forward to the revival.

watched all 4 new episodes of Twin Peaks in a row. Loved them. Really funny too, didn't expect to laugh as much as i did. Episode 4 was especially funny with a great Michael Cera.

I've only watched the first two (live) ... and still not sure what I think. There is some Season 1, some Season 2, some 'Fire Walk With Me' ... and some real classic Lynch and other good stuff and other nonsense ...

I still just don't know ...

I've watched the first three, enjoying them a lot while trying to figure out just what's happening. The way the arm transformed kinda blew my mind =p. Initially when I was watching episode one I wasn't fully hooked, then instead of thinking about Twin Peaks I put myself in more of a Lost Highway/Blue Velvet frame of mind, which did the trick.

I've only watched the first two (live) … and still not sure what I think. There is some Season 1, some Season 2, some 'Fire Walk With Me' … and some real classic Lynch and other good stuff and other nonsense …

I still just don't know …

I dont think there's anything that resembles s1 even remotely. it's all just "Lynchian" madness, and i love it :D Doesnt need to make the least sense, its not why i watch it.

Ahh, that kinda explains it. I tend to prefer things that make sense :)

Um, why? It's like expecting noise or industrial music to have pleasantly sounding harmonies and for it to be very melodic. That makes little sense to me.

If something present itself as something that will make absolute sense and then it won't, then i will feel quite disappointed often. But if something present itself as experimental and absurd, then i won't expect it to make total sense, i might even get annoyed if they stray from that path. I know that Twin Peaks started like something that perhaps would make sense, but if you watched S2 and if you followed his work you would kind of know what to expect.

Ok, so I finally started watching Twin Peaks (original) last night. I watched the pilot and the second episode. I'm not really sure what to think of it to be honest.

I get that it's supposed to be surreal, but some of the scenes just seemed really awkward to me. My GF hated it and kept laughing out loud at the over-the-top acting. The acting style didn't bother me so much, but I think the music, which is "critically acclaimed", is mostly terrible.

Could be that I would have liked it more had I watched it sooner. I'm going to persevere though and watch at least a few more episodes before deciding. I have the feeling I might be watching it alone though.

It's a series from the 90's so im not sure what you are expecting, acting and lots of things was different then.. Do you like his other work, otherwise you'll just be disappointed, especially when you get to S2. Also S1 is not the least surreal in comparison to S2 and especially S3, if you don't like that don't bother at all, waste of your time.

And yes, the 90's was the time and place to have watched this series. The music, the acting and much else can seem cheesy by today's standards, so no different than anyting else from early 90's really.

Ehm, acting was different?

Godfather is from the 70s and it kinda proves that acting could be superb and natural even so ;)

I'll give TP another shot soon, but my reaction was similar to that of JDR.

And yes, the 90's was the time and place to have watched this series. The music, the acting and much else can seem cheesy by today's standards, so no different than anyting else from early 90's really.

I don't think that has anything to do with it at all. It's more about the directing than it is about the time period. For example, Star Trek: TNG is from the same time frame, and I can still watch that and enjoy it as much as I did back then.

Ehm, acting was different?

Sure. Acting styles, like most other things, have shifted though the years. Sometimes in big ways, sometimes in more subtle ways. I could most likely point out in a clip if it's a TV-series from the 80's or early 90's or if it's much more modern acting, quite easily so even, and yes, by looking at the acting alone.

Back in the 80's and 90's there was also a difference between acting in TV series in comparison to a movie. For movies there's often little difference from modern movies, TV series though, it can be a quite a dramatic difference. Compare something like Seinfeld to Curb your Enthusiasm (same genre, same person involved, sometimes the same actors).. The difference in acting is immense.

I don't think that has anything to do with it at all. It's more about the directing than it is about the time period. For example, Star Trek: TNG is from the same time frame, and I can still watch that and enjoy it as much as I did back then.

I can enjoy lots of TV series that i watched in the 90's as well. But if i was totally new to it, then most likely not. I would not have the nostalgia part and i would not be accustomed to it, so it would just be cheesy.

Last edited:
I also agree that there's plenty of cheese in Twin Peaks, especially the relationship stuff. Some of it is quite endearing and fun, but most is kinda bad. But, the rest of the acting is great imo. Some of the characters are just wonderful and very likable.

My favorites are Dale Cooper himself, Leland Palmer (Ray Wise is amazing as Leland, all through), Benjamin Horne (the hotel owner) and the occasional guest visits of Albert (the FBI detective that keeps insulting the locals :p) to name a few of them.

But even with all of this, the main charm of Twin Peaks, in my opinion, is the atmosphere, eeriness and just weirdness of everything. Just amazing.

And, I did not see the series when it originally aired. But I'm aware of the period in which it released, and can get over some of the cheese, to be able to love most of it.

Back
Top Bottom