RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin 2 Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the second part of our two part article series on Divinity: Original Sin 2, we bring you the results of an interview we did with the game writers Sarah and Kieron with a bit of Char in it as well.

I've mentioned that playing with four people and everybody going off to play their own game and only occasionally meet because it is needed, is something that is a concern to me. Kieron replied that the set-up of the prototype is such that it is designed to give you a feeling of what it is like to play as four individuals. The actual end game will have individual tasks and goals and personal drives for each character, but there will be a common goal and there will be points in the game where you will have to work together as some of the puzzles or combat will be next to impossible to solve by yourself.
It is now pushed, especially for the prototype, in the direction of getting the feeling of having a co-op where you are separately playing with each other, just to see the PvP elements. The prototype is also constructed in such a way that you cannot get all four people to succeed in leaving the island.
What they are really aiming for in the final game is that the party will move together, but there will be this feeling that you will not entirely trust the others. If someone talks to a NPC and you're doing something else, how do you know what the other character said? Can you trust the other one? The motivations of the characters will differ, but you still need to work together to reach your goal. The game simply can't be completed on your own. The story will help as it will be written in such a way that the plot will bring the characters together in a way that feels natural for them to move forward.
More information.

That concludes the two articles I have for Original Sin 2. Perhaps you find something interesting in it.

"The game simply can't be completed on your own. " wtf? ☺

Its been said before. ... will be interesting to see how they implement this. From all indications at the moment it doesnt sound like a very awesome single player experience by the examples they've given. Actual co-op mode doesnt seem that bad, but I dont have 3 friends willing to match erratic schedules for 80 hours to finish this.

My interest has dwindled to almost zero for Larian Studios....and so did my pledge :D

"The game simply can't be completed on your own. " wtf?
Oh crap. That is not correct. It should read that you are not able to finish it by yourself controlling only one character.
You can finish by yourself in single player mode obviously.
Fixed the article.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Larian has grown a lot, they have 90 devs now. Wow!

So they are planning for romance (with NPCs) and maybe even link it to the background choice. That could be interesting, especially if there is drama involved with that through the story. I wonder if they are planning on "competing for someone heart" between the party members, lol.

The more I read about the game, the more it seems to be how Dragon Age Origin should have evolved:
- the background system seems like a more immersive version of DAO's origins
- the companions are supposed to be characters with their own goals.
- more race choices
- more spell combos
- improved crafting
- turn based combat with more/new tactical options
- more skills/abilities

I think I might be getting a wee bit too hyped for this game.

Did you read the interview?

"The game simply can't be completed on your own. " wtf? ☺

Its been said before. … will be interesting to see how they implement this. From all indications at the moment it doesnt sound like a very awesome single player experience by the examples they've given. Actual co-op mode doesnt seem that bad, but I dont have 3 friends willing to match erratic schedules for 80 hours to finish this.

Actually it's funny. I didn't back the first game, because way back when I thought their pitch was way too much about the co-op mode. That was a mistake. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll make another great single player game.

If you want to know more about the writing of the Watch storyline in Original Sin 1, you can find a bit of extra info from Sarah in the Codex feature.

designers continue to miss the point of games.
its more about directing than gameplay. more about fitting the pieces than adding more and more pieces.
Larians vision is flawed. they can only create sandboxes. not good games.

If you want to know more about the writing of the Watch storyline in Original Sin 1, you can find a bit of extra info from Sarah in the Codex feature.
Yes, it is almost at the end of the article (just mentioning it, as the article has some length)

RPGCodex said:
... and an elderly couple whom I assumed to be representatives of the local newspaper. <snip> I took a seat opposite the two nice elderly people, who were now introduced to me as “the guys from RPGWatch.”

Lovely. :D

Seems based on player comments most found the writing in the original game to be lacking - "too silly" as mentioned in this article. I can't help but wonder if that wasn't perhaps one of the reasons the game felt fresh and different. I found some of the writing to be humorous and endearing. I hope this next installment doesn't go too far in the other direction.

Back
Top Bottom