Anthem - How it went wrong @ Kotaku

it takes vision and leadership to create something great, and to create something good you have to be good at least at one of them. they failed both
people need to praise competence more, its the whole leftist rightist cultural war.
our value system has gone to shit with all these progressive waves
thank god for trump

*This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of the What On Earth Are You Talking About party.

So basically, even their original plans for this project were rubbish? I can't say that an online survival game is much better than an online looter shooter from my point of view.

All their Frostbite problems and EA issues and what not are hardly at fault for a project full of bad ideas.

I find it odd that they're still going on about Frostbite. I can imagine that it was awkward when it was first foisted on them, not really designed for their needs. But they've had a long time to adapt it and tool it up for their workflow.

There is only one reason why Anthem went wrong - it's Destiny clone.
Doesn't matter who made it, doesn't matter who bought it, doesn't matter what engine it uses nor microtransactions rubbish.

EA approved cloning of some bullshit product, Bioware's remaining drones cloned it as all the talent left the company. How can that not go wrong?

Drama, Baby!

I haven't read the full article and don't what exactly went wrong with Anthem (not interested in this kind of game) but I just hope that something good comes out of it. Like Bioware concentrating on SP RPGs again. However I'm not very optimistic. CDPR, Larian, Obsidian et al. need to fill the gap.

You should read it whole because it details the corporate culture inside EA.
Unless you're CEO, your life as EA's employee is worthless. People do need to pay bills, but the price on health is too high within EA - all the money earned will eventually go to shrinks and antidepresant pills, so what's the point of working there in the first place?

You should read it whole because it details the corporate culture inside EA.
Na, I have better things to do. (Perhaps it would be different if it was about a European company where at least in theory I could do a tiny bit to change culture.)

That's a great article - one of the better long-form pieces I've read about game development.

Problems with Frostbite are nothing new, of course. Any BF player would be nodding at this point, with a knowing smirk, maybe even an "I told you so". I'm sure there could be an entirely separate article written about EA's decision to force usage of Frostbite across most of its development studios. (Unsurprisingly, Apex Legends is built on an evolved version of Valve's Source engine, just a refinement from what Respawn used for Titanfall 2 - an engine they already tuned for all of their development needs and pitch-perfect performance. Maybe Apex Legend's engine isn't suitable for a game like Anthem, but it's still noteworthy that Respawn's games are the only big, recent EA titles that didn't have significant technical problems at launch.)

Anthem doesn't really intrest me, but oh boy, that was quite a read! Good honest Investigative gaming journalism. Kotaku sure has it's moments. And silly me thinking that things were getting better after DA inquisition, but it surely doesn't look good for Bioware.

That's a great article - one of the better long-form pieces I've read about game development.

Problems with Frostbite are nothing new, of course. Any BF player would be nodding at this point, with a knowing smirk, maybe even an "I told you so". I'm sure there could be an entirely separate article written about EA's decision to force usage of Frostbite across most of its development studios. (Unsurprisingly, Apex Legends is built on an evolved version of Valve's Source engine, just a refinement from what Respawn used for Titanfall 2 - an engine they already tuned for all of their development needs and pitch-perfect performance. Maybe Apex Legend's engine isn't suitable for a game like Anthem, but it's still noteworthy that Respawn's games are the only big, recent EA titles that didn't have significant technical problems at launch.)

I have to think that the time spent on trying to adapt their process to Frostbite is costing them vastly more that any licensing fees for a good development engine. It seems like there's an ego problem.

The Frostbite situation sounds like a management clusterfuck, more than anything. EA has studios battling for the attention of their Frostbite support team, and even took Bioware's best engineers to help port FIFA to the new engine.

Hahaha! Bioware attracting the now usual "How it went wrong" articles. :D

Back
Top Bottom