Cyberpunk 2077 - Mike Pondsmith on the Cyberpunk world

Well, there is always an option of not buying such a game. Governments are only in planning stages of making it compulsory....

I'm always leary of a game that sells itself with a scantily-clad female on the cover. That usually means there's not much underneath. But I hope I'm wrong.

Surely the pedigree of CD Projekt should instill some confidence? Sure, they've made only 2 games. But 2 damn good ones!

Okay, can someone recommend a game currently out where the protagonist is not some sort of 'Chosen'? Just a Guy trying to get by. I'd like a non-party, single-player, open world, NON turn-based game where I don't have to endlessly twiddle with and juggle inventory and stats.
Could be anything, high fantasy, sci-fi, whatever. Not big on magical super powers either.

I guess Fallout: New Vegas qualifies. Sure, you end up doing a lot of heroic or anti-heroic stuff during the game, but you start out as a regular person. There is some inventory juggling and stats, though.

Okay, can someone recommend a game currently out where the protagonist is not some sort of 'Chosen'? Just a Guy trying to get by. I'd like a non-party, single-player, open world, NON turn-based game where I don't have to endlessly twiddle with and juggle inventory and stats.
Could be anything, high fantasy, sci-fi, whatever. Not big on magical super powers either.

Miasmata fits all of those criteria.

I guess Fallout: New Vegas qualifies. Sure, you end up doing a lot of heroic or anti-heroic stuff during the game, but you start out as a regular person. There is some inventory juggling and stats, though.

Starting as a regular person, a rookie is the norm.

It has various causes. For example, starting as a farm boy, isolated from the rest of the world, helps to close the gap between a player and her avatar: both are just as ignorant about the game world and will discover it at the same time. Playing a character that is fully matured in a game world brings the necessity of knowing bits about the game world, in order to appropriate properly the character. It is not possible to design a fully matured avatar that knows as much as a player who is discovering a game universe.

Today, though, the main cause is that players look for power and want to feel that ascension in power from wealkling to the most dangerous beast in the game universe.
By the way, that is why The Witcher had to conduct a pseudo loss of memory.
In his universe, Gerrald is a fully matured character and should no longer progress. He should be declining.
In a RPG, no issue in roleplaying a fully matured character as the accumulation of power is unnecessary in role playing.
But in a game that wants to induce the feeling of getting all powerful, it is mandatory.

Back
Top Bottom