The Book of Legends - Released by Aldorlea Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We don't normally cover jRPGs but indie dev Aldorlead Game (Laxius Force) wrote in directly to say they have released a new game titled The Book of Legends and the blurb promises "Choices that affect the game significantly" and "Multiple endings", so here's the announcement:
The Book of Legends" is the latest epic developed by Aldorlea Games (the makers behind Millennium, Dreamscape, Laxius Force, 3 Stars of Destiny, Asguaard etc.).

Featuring an immersive story written by Indinera (as well as characters and dialogs developed by him), this game is a huge stand-alone role playing game whose size, depth and figures (number of characters, quests, items, secrets etc.) evocates and sometimes surpasses the likes of "3 Stars of Destiny".

See for yourself:

• More than 30 characters to play!
  • More than 125 spells to cast!
  • More than 60 weapons and 110 pieces of equipment!
  • More than 100 different enemies!
  • More than 300 areas to explore!
The game also delivers in terms of features, all carefully designed for a richer gaming experience:

• 50 hours of playtime
  • 2 different modes (Casual/RPG)
  • Mouse control allowed
  • Easy-to-use Quest book and Party Switcher
  • Auto-save
  • Party Splitting
  • Choices that affect the game significantly
  • Multiple endings
  • Exciting story full of twists and witty or hilarious dialogs
  • Countless hours of playing, a myriad of side quests and secrets
  • Great interaction between characters and even non-playing characters
  • Spectacular spells and summoning
  • A Colyseum with 2 different tournaments
  • Gorgeous characters, graphics and music
  • Play as a Princess, or a Thief, or even a Celebrity and defeat extraordinary monsters such as dragons, manticores, demons and ogres! In "The Book of Legends", the word "role playing" takes all its meaning.

Also, as a small bonus for your support, people who purchase "The Book of Legends" will have the opportunity to grab a copy of "Laxius Force" as well at $5 only! Yes, 5 dollars for a second game that may last you well over 50 hours!... don't wait too long though as this offer will most likely just be temporary.
More information.

I'm sorry, but I just can't for the life of me get into games with cute doe-eyed characters with squeaky voices who populate a cartoon universe. I'm sure anime and jRPGs have a huge audience, but I for one just don't get it. I respect all that it takes to bring this to fruition but . . .

Not trying to be funny but is this a game for girls. Looking at the linked page doesn't look like something a guy would play.

Thanks for the heads up. sometimes during a gaming lul I like to do these types of games. But I would have to try the demo first.

The menu based combat reminds me of some of the old console RPGs - Fantasy Star and such. It is certainly cute. I think it'd do much better at the 5 or 10 dollar steam sale price point then 22 bucks. It's the kind of think someone might grab on a whim, but at 20+ it's not impulse ready for must of us. Better to sell a million at a buck each than ten at ten bucks.

I agree that this game looks like the target audience is pre-adolescent girls. I don't know how many of them have a spare $23 lying around, but perhaps the author was hoping we had children that we might buy this for....

However maybe the eyebrows guy from Dredmor would be interested in these huge-eye girls. We could have huge-eyed, huge-eyebrowed offspring in no time :D

I have tried so hard numerous times to get into jrpg's. I just can't do it. I agree with Zephyr. I really wish I could because some of them look interesting. Can't stand the art style.

While this isn't my cup of tea, speculation about selling it for $1 or lack of pre-adolescent girls with $23 is a bit silly because this is an established indie dev with multiple titles under their belt. They're obviously successful enough to survive and I'd think they have a pretty good idea how many they will sell from the get go.

Not my thing, but I think it looks pretty good for what it is. I don't see the big deal about the price - though my magical sense of economics says it should have been 15$.

He actually makes fantastic games. Of course I understand that people that can't stand JRPG's can't stand the graphics. But there is a lot of mature themes and his games are not typical JRPG's. However I am so so so so tired of the RPGMaker battle system even if it is turn-based.... so I just can't play any of those games anymore.

While this isn't my cup of tea, speculation about selling it for $1 or lack of pre-adolescent girls with $23 is a bit silly because this is an established indie dev with multiple titles under their belt. They're obviously successful enough to survive and I'd think they have a pretty good idea how many they will sell from the get go.

Ah! But who buys these games? Pre-adolescent girls? I really don't know...I wouldn't think that these games are for the middle-aged male crowd that dominates this website. My comment wasn't about his game, but about actually mentioning it here. Anyone here actually play RPGMaker games? I'd rather see the "even more ancient" NWN1 engine, honestly. Of course, those would have to be free :D

I am a big fan of Aldorlea and bought several of them over the years including this Book of Legends.
The games they make are actually more than what meet the eyes. They are not standard JRPG in the sense that the storyline and gameplay are much more developed. BTW I am not a pre-adolescent girl, I am acttually 28 and I work as a software engineer...

They make excellent stuff actually... I haven't tried this one (yet) but the Laxius Force series was a masterpiece. It had more quests than most PC RPG can say and the story is actually full of surprises (not something one can say about all those generic JRPG out there...)

Back
Top Bottom