cRPG.ru - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We haven't covered S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to date, having decided some time ago it didn't quite fit. Still, we occasionally get sent links for articles and since our friends at CRPG.ru have kicked up a solid interview, we'll put up this newsbit and see what the response is like. Let's take a clip on the RPG qualities:
CRPG.RU: About two years ago, Andrey Prokhorov, project lead and lead artist, described the game's genre correlation the following way: 30% RPG, 70% Action. Has the ration changed since then? How profound is the roleplaying aspect and how is it represented exactly? Does our protagonist have any skills, perks, and the like?
Anton Bolshakov: Regrettably, I cannot evaluate the current ratio. What I can say is that the action element still prevails over story and roleplaying ones. Protagonist has neither level progression nor skills or perks. It's a sort of statless roleplaying game. The player improves his own skill. Aside from that, it's pretty much your typical RPG, which, however, is more geared towards actual roleplaying than stat-pumping. You can play it in a multitude of ways and styles: you can slaughter everything in your way, or you can be a benevolent soul helping those in need. Stalkers travel everywhere, collect artifacts, weapons, discover anomaly zones, interact with each other. The player grows economically throughout the game. Just like in Elite, you earn money, purchase new equipment, weapons. In doing so you open up new areas of the Zone.
More information.

Safe to say that I'm looking forward to this one. Somehow I doubt that it will be anything like the traditional RPG, but still... It is mainly the setting that interests me, and what the programmers made out of that nice idea.
I'm also kinda curious if it will be able to satisfy the high hopes of the gaming community. As far as I know it scored a 90% on Gamestar or something - I know, that doesn't really mean anything, but I would like to see if this was just the hype around STALKER or if it's really that good.

I'm still looking forward to this game, but I'm worried that it could be another Boiling Point. I have a soft spot in my heart for incredibly ambitious developers for the PC, even if they are a bit too ambitious for their own good.

I'm still looking forward to this game, but I'm worried that it could be another Boiling Point. I have a soft spot in my heart for incredibly ambitious developers for the PC, even if they are a bit too ambitious for their own good.

That was my thought as well - I wouldn't mind BP in terms of gameplay and world and all of that ... I could just do without the bugginess. As I mentioned in another thread, I've preordered this ...

The player improves his own skill. Aside from that, it's pretty much your typical RPG - wow a big lol to that ... isnt every game RPG then? :)

I dunno - I read that more like a FPS ... as you play you get more attuned to the quirks of the game and thereby 'improve' your skill.

Back
Top Bottom