Monster Hunter: World - August 9th

Real impressions are a month off, I'm afraid.

I'm not one of those people who can say "I have 1000+ hours in MHxxxx on blah", though they are a good sign.

The difference between grinding and enjoying playing can be very subtle. I don't think I can tell how well done the progression is until I play.

But, yes, I can see a bit of Dark Souls style in there with the oversized weapons. MH was a game people suggested I play back before Dark Souls II came out. Dogma, too, back before it was on PC.

When you think about it, Dark Souls popularity has been absolutely fantastic for PC gaming since it got the attention of the console industry. I suspect that were it not for DS we wouldn't be seeing MHW getting a PC release.

"I didn't like Dragon's Dogma - too combat oriented for my tastes"
Well, co-op conversations didn't even make it into DOS2 so "too combat oriented" might be a good thing when co-op is the focus. But I'm not trying to convince you to like it. merely sharing reasons for my optimism for the benefit of all.

Well, I had co-op conversations in DOS2 :)

But there are other kinds of non-combat content, including interesting exploration and interesting writing.

We all enjoy different things for different reasons, and that's as it should be - or we'd only have one game to play with infinite iterations.

Well, I had co-op conversations in DOS2 :)

But there are other kinds of non-combat content, including interesting exploration and interesting writing.

We all enjoy different things for different reasons, and that's as it should be - or we'd only have one game to play with infinite iterations.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, the interesting exploration appears to be included. You only just called it pretty scenery?

You appear to be talking about yourself more than the game? Do you have comments about the interesting systems I have already mentioned? I would have thought discussion of these systems might cross over into your thread looking for inspiration? Does your card game have interesting writing and exploration?

Stop talking about yourself and your opinion on everything and come up with some real content for once. I've brought up so many interesting things to talk about.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, the interesting exploration appears to be included. You only just called it pretty scenery?

You appear to be talking about yourself more than the game? Do you have comments about the interesting systems I have already mentioned? I would have thought discussion of these systems might cross over into your thread looking for inspiration? Does your card game have interesting writing and exploration?

Stop talking about yourself and your opinion on everything and come up with some real content for once. I've brought up so many interesting things to talk about.

Cool story Sir ;)

Its not that I don't believe you; it is that I view your perception as too narrow. Having said that I really liked the concept of dogma though the pc controls could have been cleaner and it had a lot of very unique rpg'ish moments so i'll take a close look at monster hunter: world after release.

I could go into some detail about my perception of human nature again, here - but I'll spare you - since you seem to believe I don't know what I'm talking about ;)

Its not that I don't believe you; it is that I view your perception as too narrow. Having said that I really liked the concept of dogma though the pc controls could have been cleaner and it had a lot of very unique rpg'ish moments so i'll take a close look at monster hunter: world after release.

That's fair enough :)

Here's hoping Monster Hunter World is a game worth playing. Doesn't look like much to me, though.

Maybe you can be my stalker in MHW if you behave, SJ ;)

Just be sure to play with upscaling on - so I can reach you ;)

Is there upscaling in MHW? Some sort of way for veterans to play with new players or something? Those sort of systems never work well. :/

I was thinking it could be a way for me to deal with high-level trolls ;)

That said, I don't know if it has scaling mechanics. I'm not sure asians bother with such things, as they seem to enjoy working for the sake of work alone. Sort of like playing Dark Souls, you might say.

I just watched the trailer again and it looks pretty damn exciting to me! The second half, anyway. I don't see it becoming a grind before I've slain every single boss. Looks fantastic!

Bosses are the best enemy type because they have all the work done on them. Even back in shmup game days, games like Raiden, its all trash mobs that die in 1 shot then bosses with crazy attack patterns and different phases they get triggered into.

Bosses are not a grind like efficiently AOEing trash mobs, that's what you need to remember.

What you call bosses, I call guess what the designer came up with to counter your sound and feasible strategy - because that's the only way he can delay your progress.

Sort of like WoW high level raids. The challenge wasn't performing my role, it was coordinating 40 people and getting them to do relatively simple tasks in unison.

Dark Souls bosses work much the same way. You have to die X amount of times - depending on how much research you're willing to have others do for you (wiki browsing and YT videos) - and then it's a matter of simply jumping through hoops as the designer intended.

Since I always prefer figuring things out for myself, it's usually a matter of dying a few times until I get it right. Trial and error.

To me, that's not only boring - it's work - because I find it endlessly predictable and dull. I know my skill means nothing. Only my patience and my willingness to endure whatever little puzzle they came up with for me.

I prefer fights that are more systemic and less "designed" - much like I don't enjoy puzzle-games too much.

I prefer excelling in my role and being efficient in my role. I don't enjoy guessing what the designer intended - until such time as it becomes a complete pushover, because there's no way they can make a trial and error fight require ACTUAL skill once you've figured it out.

Of course, Dark Souls bosses aren't unique in any way here. But Dark Souls doesn't really have much more to offer in the way of content and challenge. So, it's essentially grind, grind (trash) - trial and error (boss) - grind, grind (trash). Over and over and over.

To me, that's not exactly a great experience and MH:W looks a little like the same thing.

But, to each his own.

That said, please let me know if there's an actual story that's interesting - that I don't have to piece together myself from an array of vague exposition. Also, if there's interesting stuff to find in the world that tells a compelling tale or two.

Well… Well… I go to bed and miss all the fun.:lol:

Glad to see a few things never change.:biggrin:

Last edited:
This is much better and clear in design than Dogma.

Problem with DD is it did not have good party control mechanics and ( most) enemies are just too passive and simple to fight.

Monster Hunter is Capcom at it's best in hack'n'slash ( yes, even better than DMC), with very good combination of player skill, tactics and preparation.

Yes, there is grind..but what are you doing 95% of the time in Bethesda game than fighting trash enemies using awful gameplay mechanics?
At least it's damn fun here.

@Bobo

I assume you're asking me? Well, I'm not surprised you spend 95% of your time fighting in TES games. It kinda makes sense, given your opinion of them.

But let's not bog down every thread with that same old tripe.

I didn't mean to upset anyone with my expectations of MH:W. I know a lot of people love this sort of game - and the focus on "challenging" combat. I think that's great.

SJ wanted to push his opinions, much like is so common for yourself, so I just made it clear what I think of *similar* games. Since I haven't played MH:W - I don't actually know if I'm right that it's similar, but so far I've heard nothing that would make me think otherwise. In fact, both you and SJ have confirmed the game is exactly what I thought it would be.

That's cool - and I genuinely hope you enjoy it ;)

I think you will too, as it's supposed to be very good in these particular ways.

Back
Top Bottom