Drakensang - Ergopad's FixPack v1.4

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I can't remember if we've mentioned this before but GameBanshee member Ergopad has updated his FixPack for the English version of Drakensang. The pack contains localisation fixes, balance tweaks and other changes. Here's the latest log:
v1.4
- Lot of localization fixes related to special ability descriptions
- Major changes to special abilities' XP costs *7)
- Offensive- and Defensive Combat abilities bonuses lowered (+1,+2 and +4).
- Master Parry texts fixed and ED cost reduced to 10 (from 15)
- Master Throw will have proper learn price, different requirements and will also cause a wound
- Power Throw will now stun and ignore armor. *8) Was just weaker version of Master Throw.
- Miscellaneous small fixes related to Special abilities
- Changed monsters' Sweep Attacks to be dodged only (no parry)
- Added PA(and DV) penalty to some monster special attacks
- Removed XP gain penalty, due the new balance changes and feedback from users

v1.31 (hotfix)
- Fixed items not showing in stores
- Removed test script
Note that starting a new game is required for some of these to take effect.
More information.

I personally wouldn't call it a "Fixpack", since some intentions of this pack seem to be (according to the linked thread) zto make the game harder.

I also heavily doubt that he changes the rules according to the rule system, but on the other hand I must admint that I'm not really deep enough into the rule system to be able to judge it.

He is going to release a version making the difficulty changes optional.

It just doesn't make the game harder, it also makes it easier in some ways, like crossbow bolts are better, some special abilities are actually cheaper, dodge is better, there is more "magical" items etc. The whole point of this fiixpack is to "fix" the game balance. The difficulty changes won't be that big and I actually removed the xp penalty from latest release. The lower bonuses from talent items, like lock picks, is really needed, because if you invested ~500 xp to your pick locks you wouldn't ever fail on talent check anymore... And it's still far more easier, than old infinity engine games. ;)

What I'd like to know is what changes you like, what you don't and what you would like to see in next releases? And please, read the full changelog before commenting.

naokiaabl.jpg

Some of the new items.

It just doesn't make the game harder, it also makes it easier in some ways, like crossbow bolts are better, some special abilities are actually cheaper, dodge is better, there is more "magical" items etc. The whole point of this fiixpack is to "fix" the game balance. The difficulty changes won't be that big and I actually removed the xp penalty from latest release. The lower bonuses from talent items, like lock picks, is really needed, because if you invested ~500 xp to your pick locks you wouldn't ever fail on talent check anymore... And it's still far more easier, than old infinity engine games. ;)

What I'd like to know is what changes you like, what you don't and what you would like to see in next releases? And please, read the full changelog before commenting.

naokiaabl.jpg

Some of the new items.
I actually liked the exp penalty. Problem with so much exp in the game is that, after about 75% of the game, pretty much everybody has the same skills since you can just buy and max them all. The only real differences for each archetype are what they were born with. But that's probably just me.

Well, each archetype has it's unique advantages and disadvantages.

Since most of the special abilities are now a bit more expensive, you will need more experience to advance and all characters will have -1 to all attributes, so that they would follow better P&P archetypes, thus increasing the experience points needs to raise attributes.

I'm thinking about changing the advantages/disadvantages too. For example, Healing Mage would have +2 bonus to all healing spell and -2 penalty to some other spells. In that way, healing mage would always be better healer than other archetypes.

Well, it's not THAT easy to have everyone have the same skills as the max of each skill/spell is dependant on Attributes such as Strength, etc. And raising those are a bit expensive so it's possible to make a warrior have 14 in pick locks. But to get it up to 18-19 that an equivalent theif character has would take a LOT of experience. Several levels worth in fact.

As someone who hasn't installed/played Drakensang yet (still on my "to play" list), does it make sense to use this Fixpack on my first game? Or should I try the vanilla experience first?

Read full changelog

Read the full changelog and decide by yourself. Since the game is very long and this fixpack won't alter quests/story, I'd recommend you to use it, but read the changelog first... There isn't any big spoilers.

Back
Top Bottom