Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

Looks fine. The setting kind of puts me in mind of Megacity One, and nothing wrong with that.

Can't say it's done anything I find particularly exciting, yet.

City does not look much diverse and the few black people who are featured are not black as black people can be.

Anyone remember the 'Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy' skits on Saturday Night Live?

Sometimes Chien reminds me of those. :)

Anyone remember the 'Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy' skits on Saturday Night Live?

Sometimes Chien reminds me of those. :)

I've been thinking for weeks now doing a Chien character for that XCOM2 RPGWatch Team I made. I even know how his biography lines will be… :D

Not sure why people complain it's bright etc (how else does something look on a sunny day?) are they clueless as to what open world RPG's are these days? That they e.g have weather and day/night systems? I'm sure the game will have rain, fog and dark nights.

Night City is supposed to be covered in pollution (aka smog), it's nowhere in the trailer.

Night City is supposed to be covered in pollution (aka smog), it's nowhere in the trailer.

Yes, i think you are correct there actually. It does need more smog. Hopefully weather etc is still being tweaked.

Says who? The game is based on Cyberpunk 2020, but it takes place 57 years later. There could be any number of reasons why there isn't smog everywhere. I assume they're going to have a little more variety than that.

City does not look much diverse and the few black people who are featured are not black as black people can be.

Sounds like Portland. *rimshot*

Seriously? I noticed no asians in the trailer at all. Means there are none in the game and those CDpr devs are racists, bring out pitchforks!
There could be any number of reasons why there isn't smog everywhere. I assume they're going to have a little more variety than that.
CDpr worlds are windy.

Says who? The game is based on Cyberpunk 2020, but it takes place 57 years later. There could be any number of reasons why there isn't smog everywhere. I assume they're going to have a little more variety than that.

Mike Pondsmith, the guy who created the setting and its weather 9 months ago on reddit on a question directly about Cyberpunk 2077 daylight. He has creative input on the game too.

Also, Cyberpunk 2020 campaign ends in 2024, not that is change much.

That was definitely in-engine footage. You can see some disappearing NPCs and LoD popping in towards the end. Looks great to me and it's kinda weird to read online about people being so stuck up on what cyberpunk is "supposed to look like".

I'm finding that an interesting read, too. The trailer wasn't exactly to my liking, but then I've never been too interested in the cyberpunk genre save for Blade Runner-esque takes and derivatives, and don't have any real interest in Cyberpunk 2077.

Though, I do think that Blade Runner helped to mold what people imagine cyberpunk to be, so much that they use it as the basis for what "should" and "should not be" cyberpunk. That's a topic I'm glad to not take part in.

I am happy to see it be a different take on the cyberpunk genre, though. Go against the grain. Break the mold. I completely support that.

Nitpicking much?

Mentioning that Night City should look like the way its creator described it is "nitpicking"?

It affect the whole tone of the trailer in a wrong way. It's all too "hopeful/nice day".

Last edited:
It's all too "hopeful/nice day".

You mean outside of poverty, technology frying people and used for surveilance, riots, constant violence erupting in streets, crazy cyborgs in broad daylight, etc…

2020 is not Bladerunner: world in perpetual night and you'd better wear a trenchcoat for it never cease to rain.
It was heavily inspired by movies like Streets of Fire, which have that street, urban opera feel to it, two lovers against the world, to hell with the odds. :p

"We are not doing Blade Runner. We are not making dark and depressive world. It will be full of rock and roll. We want it to have Tarantino feel."..it went something like this, that statement they made when they were just starting.

I think this was a bold move, showcasing Cyberpunk almost entirely in daylight and without everyone living in filth for no reason.

You mean outside of poverty, technology frying people and used for surveilance, riots, constant violence erupting in streets, crazy cyborgs in broad daylight, etc…

The tone of the trailer is set by the first scenes with the subway leaving a tunnel to be right under a bright clear blue sky. The narration over the transition is refuting the "worst place to live in america" tag with a message of hope and dreams. It literally mute the violence in the rest of the trailer.

Also, I'm complaining about the daylight being too clear blue sky, not that there is daylight. If people can't make the different between overcast/smog and clear blue sky, go out outside more, you need it.

If I wanted to be full on Cyberpunk 2020 purists, I would be complaining that it's not always raining in the trailer might I add. edit: It's not always raining technically, but the PnP suggest to always have rain to set the mood.

The tone of the trailer is set by the first scenes with the subway leaving a tunnel to be right under a bright clear blue sky. The narration over the transition is refuting the "worst place to live in america" tag with a message of hope and dreams. It literally mute the violence in the rest of the trailer.

I don't agree with that. There's been many works that feature dark themes, but bright and beautiful environments - many brutal Westerns, or African conflict stories, for example. I think the contrast can be as effective as a backdrop that represents darkness in an obvious way.

Back
Top Bottom