What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Day of the Dead

I followed up Dawn of the Dead with the sequel. It's another movie that hasn't aged well, and the acting is, imo, much worse than in Dawn. The effects were improved, but they're still pretty laughable when you see them now.

The only thing I found interesting is that a part of it was filmed in Fort Myers, Florida which borders the city I live in. I even recognized one of the streets in a scene they filmed in the downtown section. It was cool to see what it looked like in 1985.

Day of the Dead

I followed up Dawn of the Dead with the sequel. It's another movie that hasn't aged well, and the acting is, imo, much worse than in Dawn. The effects were improved, but they're still pretty laughable when you see them now.
I love those early Romero movies, warts and all.
I also like Fulci's zombie movies (seen those?), despite being ludicrous at times, e.g. the shark vs zombie scene, or the scene with a woman lying on the ground getting attacked by a zombie coming up out of the ground, where she easily had enough time just to get up and run off.

I re-watched Dawn of the Dead (remake) last night. I think Ripper planted the seed in my head when he mentioned it.

I felt the same way as when I saw it at release. It's ok. I think it's a decent popcorn flick, but I can only scratch my head when someone says they think it's Snyder's best film.

It does have Max Headroom though.. for a little while anyways.

I must watch it again sometime. But I remember enoying it. They Johnny Cash'd me right out the gate, which got my attention, and then I remember finding it much better than I'd expected from another remake.

I also like Fulci's zombie movies (seen those?), despite being ludicrous at times, e.g. the shark vs zombie scene, or the scene with a woman lying on the ground getting attacked by a zombie coming up out of the ground, where she easily had enough time just to get up and run off.

I haven't seen those, but it sounds like I need to check them out. :)

I must watch it again sometime. But I remember enoying it. They Johnny Cash'd me right out the gate, which got my attention, and then I remember finding it much better than I'd expected from another remake.

He did do a good job with the soundtrack. The scenes that were done to music are the best parts imo.

Don't forget about Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead remake, which is also great.

I wish I could be excited as all of you are.
The problem is I can't stand zombie movies in general. Most of them bored me to death.

Some will take it as an insult, but I don't like Romero's movies. I can appreciate what he did back in the day, but… I'm not 13 any more.
Some wellknown others I can't even appreciate, it's all IMO pathetic waste of time, for example Jackson's Braindead.
Thanks to all the trash I've seen through decades, and I've seen a lot, it's very hard for me to touch anything about zombies any more.

That does not mean I hate them all.
Loved the one mentioned from cornetto trilogy, adored both Dead Snow and it's sequel, there is no person I know in RL I didn't recommend Train to Busan and will never forget how I got tricked into watching The Girl with All the Gifts only to be pleasantly surprised with it in the end.

Sadly I still didn't watch Juan of the Dead, so can't be sure about it, but some friend of mine did recommend it to me, not very convincing in claims it's different though probably because I asked to leave spoilers out.

None of the zombie flicks have affected me like the original Night of the Living Dead did. At the time I first watched it, I was living on a dairy farm in very rural PA, so that may have had much to do with why it impacted me so solidly. That is still the litmus by which I compare all others in the genre and to date, none come close.

I've finally seen a movie that's been on my list for 15+ years at least. Stalker, the russian film by Tarkovsky. The only other films of his I've seen were Mirror and Solaris, which were both good.

And Stalker is even better. A SF film but with a philosophical theme. The best kind of sci-fi is like this. The locations and shots were beautiful. The performances great. The story and subject matter also great. The only downside is that I had to keep my eyes on subtitles, since it's in Russian, and not on the gorgeous scenery.

Uk but it normally says "blocked in your country" if it's a region thing.

Yeah, I'm in UK, but my VPN thinks it's in Belgium today. Plays without problems. I already have it in my collection, though.

Started watching the live-action movie Ghost in the Shell, the one with Scarlet Johansen (however you spell her name). About half way through. It's pretty decent so far, but what made me stop and post this is I'm amazed at how many things CDPR took from this an put into Cyberpunk 2077. I've seen the original manga Ghost in the Shell a long time ago, but I can't remember if these were in that one also, or if this movie came up with them. Regardless, it was surprising to see so many things in it.

EDIT: Finished Ghost in the Shell. Pretty decent. Not too shabby. I expected a lot worse. It's no Blade Runner, but it was pretty good.

Last edited:
Started watching the live-action movie Ghost in the Shell, the one with Scarlet Johansen (however you spell her name). About half way through. It's pretty decent so far, but what made me stop and post this is I'm amazed at how many things CDPR took from this an put into Cyberpunk 2077. I've seen the original manga Ghost in the Shell a long time ago, but I can't remember if these were in that one also, or if this movie came up with them. Regardless, it was surprising to see so many things in it.

EDIT: Finished Ghost in the Shell. Pretty decent. Not too shabby. I expected a lot worse. It's no Blade Runner, but it was pretty good.

I didn't really care for Ghost in the Shell, but I never get tired of looking at Scarlett Johansson.

Back
Top Bottom