Frontiers - The State of Frontiers

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Frontiers is a Kickstarter from long ago. Our last news post was from 2015 however the game is still in development and has received an overhaul, which you can read all about in this rather long Kickstarter update.

End of Year Update

Strap yourselves in - this is going to be a long update! We've got almost 6 months of development to cover, and I think you're going to be surprised by how much has changed in that time.

The State of FRONTIERS

As you all know, FRONTIERS has undergone an overhaul. It's now keeping pace with the latest Unity version (currently using 2017.3.0f3).

After upgrading to Unity 2017 many, many pieces of the original architecture became irrelevant, as they were in place to overcome Unity 4.x limitations. With those limitations gone I could remove a great deal of complexity, and with it, a great number of bugs. So what does that actually look like, in concrete terms?

Let's start with the first big change - the new Item system, which spearheaded the game's new look. The new look will probably be controversial (as would any major change made so long after release) but after reading I'm sure you'll agree that it was necessary.

[...]

State of FRONTIERS: In Conclusion

FRONTIERS is in a pretty decent place, given the risk of upgrading at this stage. This overhaul has enabled me to incorporate all the things I've learned from the other titles we've worked on. It always felt a little unfair that all the games you guys didn't back would benefit most from the early failures on this project. So I'm glad I can bring that knowledge full-circle.

Summarizing all these changes and going over all the ways I've saved work for myself has been energizing - it's easy to forget how much I've actually accomplished given how stressed out I've been these past months.

[...]
More information.

So many games got released in past couple of years and in such frequency I've completely forgot about this project.
Of course it's not dead, if it was, it'd be the only KS project of all I backed that died. :)
But this long in development...

Can't say I desperately want it released as I seriously have a problem to find time for other games. On the other hand, I wouldn't want it to stall and beat Grimoire's record.
So a release year planned after this engine overhaul would be nice thing to know.

Still holding out hope for this one. Very ambitious reach for indie.

I reinstalled it last night after reading the newsbit.

I can't say I'm impressed. It doesn't really seem much different than the last time I tried it, and according to the timestamp on the savegames I had, that was in 2015.

It does have a nice atmosphere, but the world still seemed mostly empty from what I saw.

I just looked at what's been going on with this project. Not a pretty picture. Essentially, the guy has jerked around for years, and is shutting down game development. A couple of months back he was advising people not to buy it because it was in such a poor state! This really looks like a last ditch effort to get something out the door to fulfill his obligations

Avoid.

Back
Top Bottom