The TV Series discussion thread

So did anyone watch The Day of The Doctor? How was it?

I wasn't able to watch it, but since I've watched very little of Doctor Who in recent years anyways, it wasn't a huge deal for me. I'm still curious what people thought about it though.

I recently noticed that Netflix has every season of Doctor Who since the 2005 revival. I'm thinking about watching them all from the beginning.

I thought it was excellent and I especially enjoyed the 'cameo' by Tom Baker.

Broen 2 is finished... Pretty unpredictable ending, I must say. Still processing it, but it wasn't as powerful as the first Broen.

JDR, yes, watch the whole thing, there is a good reason this show lasts for 50 years. Strange since it's basically sci-fi? Not really, networks simply underestimate the audience.

The special was awsome.

JDR, yes, watch the whole thing, there is a good reason this show lasts for 50 years. Strange since it's basically sci-fi? Not really, networks simply underestimate the audience.

The special was awsome.

Yep, definitely agree - my only disappointment was that my 'Who-vian' younger son went to a watch-party with friends rather than hanging out with us to watch :)

Doctor Who's 50th anniversary episode happened, and I loved every minute of it!

Whoever said they are trying to make the Governor a good character did not watch last nights episode. I know most here don't read the comics or his books but they are kinda following, The Rise of the Governor, by Kirkman. You guys can complain all you want but the only two shows that are can't miss in my book are The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

I know people like to think of themselves as highly cultured and intellectual by saying they only watch Dr. Who but people also think they look cool in Pork Pie Hats. :)

But who am I to judge, the first rated R movie I ever watched was Dawn of the Dead back in 1980. That advertising worked on me with the tag line, "When there is no more room in Hell the dead will walk the Earth." So yes, I have been a huge zombie fan my whole life and those damn advertisers brainwashed a kid back in the late 70's. Thank Zombie Jesus they did. :)

I can't believe I didn't hear for this gem before - The Lost Room:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830361/

What do you do when you hear "SyFy original series"? I get an allergia attack. Feel like I'm gonna puke. Not watching whatever it is. And you?

A friend of mine however persuaded me to give this a shot. Some above average stuff. And in only 6 episodes. He said.

Of course, it's a SyFy show, don't expect it won't have a plothole or two, don't expect stellar performances from the whole crew, don't expect a bulletproof screenplay, expensive CGI and flawless direction.

In hands of another network this could have been a masterpiece. But even as it is, it deserves 8/10 for sure. If you notice it anywhere, do not miss it!

I forgot to tell you what is it about? No I didn't. Mentioning anything would spoil it. Watch now.

No comment?

For crime story lovers, there is a new gem out there. Rather new, since I don't live in GB and can't watch ITV I had to wait till another network airs it.

Broadchurch is eight parts series with David Tennant and Arthur Darvill but is not anyhow connected Doctor Who:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/

It all starts when 11 years old kid is murdered in a smalltown. Not sure how to describe it properly, but with each episode you're dragged into suspecting one by one person except the detective duo investigating the murder, everyone seems guilty. And they are, but not for the murder of course. The thorough investigation will bring out all the trash kept hidden under the carpet, lives will be changed and nothing will stay the same in the community.

I live in a town like this one from the series, maybe that's the reason I loved this so much. Only one thing is enough to turn things upside down in such places, just like in this show.

Watch now.

———

By whomever's stupid decision, this brittish show is going to be remade by US. Unbelievable. I'm aware US audience can't read, but till today didn't know they can't understand their own language.

No comment?

For crime story lovers, there is a new gem out there. Rather new, since I don't live in GB and can't watch ITV I had to wait till another network airs it.

Broadchurch is eight parts series with David Tennant and Arthur Darvill but is not anyhow connected Doctor Who:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/

It all starts when 11 years old kid is murdered in a smalltown. Not sure how to describe it properly, but with each episode you're dragged into suspecting one by one person except the detective duo investigating the murder, everyone seems guilty. And they are, but not for the murder of course. The thorough investigation will bring out all the trash kept hidden under the carpet, lives will be changed and nothing will stay the same in the community.

I live in a town like this one from the series, maybe that's the reason I loved this so much. Only one thing is enough to turn things upside down in such places, just like in this show.

Watch now.

———

By whomever's stupid decision, this brittish show is going to be remade by US. Unbelievable. I'm aware US audience can't read, but till today didn't know they can't understand their own language.

My son started streaming Broadchurch off of the BBC site, but no availability here is a pain. Definitely want to check that one out.

Broadchurch was excellent and, should a US remake actually happen, I won't be watching it. Watch the original, it is marvelous. I also quite enjoyed the Doctor Who special, and the Christmas episode looks like it might be just as good!

Broadchurch was excellent and, should a US remake actually happen, I won't be watching it. Watch the original, it is marvelous. I also quite enjoyed the Doctor Who special, and the Christmas episode looks like it might be just as good!

Oh - I wasn't thinking remake, just streaming availability through BBC America. I hate remakes - just give me the real show!

A question for australian friends!

The word is that a local TV network plans to buy and air some new aussie sci-si series, but I don't know if it's worth a shot. I mean… Based on the imdb pic it looks like preteen age show? A few sites say it's good, but well, review sites said DA2 was good too…
Anyone watches Nowhere Boys:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2761354/

I've never heard of it and I live here!!

That doesn't surprise me, IIRC noone heard also about NZ sci-fi masterpiece This is not my life I've also mentioned in this thread (aired about a year ago on Fox Crime, means it's pretty much everywhere now, find it, watch now!). Ppl heard about NZ only when bloody Jackson massacred Tolkien's masterpiece.

Here's one of reviews about Nowhere Boys:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/cinetolo...tainment-an-early-look-at-abc3s-nowhere-boys/

They say this:
ABC3′s upcoming 13-part series Nowhere Boys is geared towards a young adult audience, but going by the first four episodes both grown-ups and adolescents will find it addictive viewing.
Since I do follow many series, I can't afford going for another without recomendation. That's why I've asked in the first place is it any good.

First, it says it won't air here until 2014 and then it's on ABC 3. I almost never watch ABC 1 and have NEVER watched ABC 2 or ABC 3. They are not commercial stations, but are owned and operated by an offshoot from the gov't and are paid for by the taxpayers!! Bit like BBC 3 only with a MUCH smaller funding base.

So I finally got a digital Netflix account, and…wow! I had no idea how many good shows are on there. For $8 a month, it almost seems too good to be true.

Every episode from all the Star Trek series! Every episode of Doctor Who - both the new and the classics! Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, The X Files, Torchwood, Dexter… just to name a few!

Are you ****ing kidding me?? :celebrate:

Now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna start watching first…

So I finally got a digital Netflix account, and…wow! I had no idea how many good shows are on there. For $8 a month, it almost seems too good to be true.

Every episode from all the Star Trek series! Every episode of Doctor Who - both the new and the classics! Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, The X Files, Torchwood, Dexter… just to name a few!

Are you ****ing kidding me?? :celebrate:

Now I just need to figure out what I'm gonna start watching first…

Absolutely ... that is why even with Amazon Prime and Hulu+ we kept Netflix after a feww 3-month trial early this year ... now to convince the wife to cut the cable!

Back
Top Bottom