NWN - Enhanced Edition Coming Soon

Wow. I read some of the posts in that link. Some middle-aged dudes reeeeeeally don't have enough important things to worry about. Also, I have to wonder how many of those guys complaining about lack of choice aren't really just uptight about the inclusion of a "trans" character in Siege of Dragonspear.

Speaking as a Mac gamer, I can't wait for this. The original Mac version of NWN hasn't worked in years and I'd love to have a native version running without Wine. Thanks, Beamdog.

Here's what I don't understand about the anti-enhanced edition argument:

If you're old enough to have played and loved the original versions, you clearly already own them. So why do you care? Anyone too young to remember the originals are far more likely to buy a modernized and fully supported version than they are a creaky, dated original. If the enhanced editions rekindle interest in these classic games and get more new gamers into them, particularly if more people start modding again, then it's a win-win.

Here's what I don't understand about the anti-enhanced edition argument:

If you're old enough to have played and loved the original versions, you clearly already own them. So why do you care? Anyone too young to remember the originals are far more likely to buy a modernized and fully supported version than they are a creaky, dated original. If the enhanced editions get more new gamers into these classic games, particularly if more people start modding again, then it's a win-win.

Because alot of these old games have mods that are not supported by the new versions. Also they do not have the same artistic vision behind them of the original creators and contain many fixes for modern player sentiments which destroys the feel of these games for those that played them originally. This is not true for Planescape EE but I think it is for the BG and IW EEs. It is like some of the modern Final Fantasy re-releases that uprez the sprite art and smooth them out but lose something in the translation if you know what I mean.

But you can still play the old version. And, quite frankly, so can anyone who buys the enhanced editions, as the old versions are bundled. You already own the originals, so it won't cost you a dime. And I still say the existence of the enhanced editions will make new gamers more likely to experience these games.

Also, in the case of NWN, they say that original mods will work with the EE.

So they will presumbably remove the original NWN from GOG which sells for $9 and now charge $20 for the enhanced edition 'effort'. Fuck these fuckers.

So you're one of those glass half empty people. :)

Lets see how this will turn out before drawing out pitchforks.

But you can still play the old version. And, quite frankly, so can anyone who buys the enhanced editions, as the old versions are bundled. You already own the originals, so it won't cost you a dime. And I still say the existence of the enhanced editions will make new gamers more likely to experience these games.

Also, in the case of NWN, they say that original mods will work with the EE.

Sure thats true for this enhanced edition. I have nothing against a new version existing but I wish more care was put into them. Why wouldn't you want the choice to purchase the original game separately?

So you're one of those glass half empty people. :)

Lets see how this will turn out before drawing out pitchforks.

Yeah I'm speculating abit but this removal of the original has happened for each prior enhanced edition. I am glad this is being improved but I think it is disappointing considering what they could have accomplished. Fingers crossed that Beamdogs effort will be worth the price.

Sure thats true for this enhanced edition. I have nothing against a new version existing but I wish more care was put into them. Why wouldn't you want the choice to purchase the original game separately?

Because the original version came out fifteen years ago and no longer works on my system without considerable effort. And even then, because technological standards have progressed so much since 2002, the game looks old and dated. A modernized version will allow me to enjoy it again like I did when it was new.

This is the same reason I no longer play the original Morrowind, but have transitioned completely to OpenMW, even though it's not technically finished. Every original mod may not work, but the advantages far, far outweigh that disadvantage.

And also, I'm 42. I own the originals.

The original campaign was crap, so I sure hope they include at least all the expansion packs. An EE is pretty cool for all the great mods out there.

The NWN Ultimate edition was given away for free on GoG a while ago, so everybody should have that one anyway. I also still have the DVD box (with "disappointment" written all over it).

Also they do not have the same artistic vision behind them of the original creators

To be fair, some of those original creators are the same people who made this EE version. Beamdog head Trent Oster was the director and producer of NWN the first time around.

The original campaign was crap, so I sure hope they include at least all the expansion packs. An EE is pretty cool for all the great mods out there.

For $20, yeah, it better at least include SoU and HotU.

Because the original version came out fifteen years ago and no longer works on my system without considerable effort. And even then, because technological standards have progressed so much since 2002, the game looks old and dated. A modernized version will allow me to enjoy it again like I did when it was new.

This is the same reason I no longer play the original Morrowind, but have transitioned completely to OpenMW, even though it's not technically finished. Every original mod may not work, but the advantages far, far outweigh that disadvantage.

And also, I'm 42. I own the originals.

Well great. But what do you have against other people having the choice to purchase the original separately?

To be fair, some of those original creators are the same people who made this EE version. Beamdog head Trent Oster was the director and producer of NWN the first time around.

True. But individuals cannot replace the work of a team as we have learnt from Kickstarter celebrity games.

Would be cool if they get a new server browser going as a replacement to the old GameSpy one.

@Darkheart; - they mention diamond edition, pretty sure that's all official content… Wonder if that will include the extra adventures that need the key generator these days, Wyvern Crown and those other smaller ones.

Wait for the site to go live I guess

=)

Well great. But what do you have against other people having the choice to purchase the original separately?

Look, I don't have anything against that choice on its own merits. I'm just trying to apply a little reason here. My point is, anyone invested enough in these games to care about it probably already owns it. And anyone who doesn't own it by now will probably be more likely to buy it if it has better support for modern systems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you probably shouldn't care quite so much. No offense intended.

And I'll just leave it at that.

Look, I don't have anything against that choice on its own merits. I'm just trying to apply a little reason here. My point is, anyone invested enough in these games to care about it probably already owns it. And anyone who doesn't own it by now will probably be more likely to buy it if it has better support for modern systems.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you probably shouldn't care quite so much. No offense intended.

And I'll just leave it at that.

All good. No offense taken. :)

Thanks, Beamdog.

Indeed! Thank you, Beamdog! :party:

Not to be hyperbolic (would I ever do that? :p), but this is probably the most exciting RPG-related thing this year for me outside of the release of ELEX. I just can't wait to get a nicely-crafted UI and some graphics updates for playing in 4K. It's as if the RPG Gods have answered my prayers. :D

There are so many good modules for this game. I played Swordflight recently, but only roughly 40 hours of it (it's huge), and intend to continue at the start of Chapter 2 soon. At least now I can do that in 4K and update my Let's Play to continue the series with the EE. :)

Now, I really, really hope modders pick this up again. I know some still make mods for the game, but it would be cool to see a revitalized interest in NWN and creating modules with whatever enhancements of the mod tools Beamdog is offering. I would looove to get some Planescape modules out of this! I was wanting to play through the Shaper of Dreams module for NWN 2 soon which takes place in the Planescape setting (one of the rare ones, if not *the* only module that does), but that might have to wait for now as I'll revisit some NWN modules when the EE releases.

Any word when the release date is?

Since I don't really see valuable "enhanced" features worth mentioning (for me), I don't find this a welcoming news. Graphics is fine for me, modules work, game runs fine on my PC etc etc

If this "EE" don't include 2 expansions and breaks compatibility for existing player made modules, seriously don't see any reason to be delighted about this news.

EDIT: Many modules require expansions + CEP hak to work. If they are truly working for "backward compatibility", it should include expansions.

If this "EE" don't include 2 expansion and breaks compatibility for existing player made modules, seriously don't see any reason to be delighted about this news.

At least downward, upward and sideward compatibility seems to be in, so existing and coming mods should profit from an EE.

Back
Top Bottom