RPGWatch Feature - Torchlight Review

Yes, but saying one game is 8.4 and the other is 7.8 and therefore the first is 'better' is meaningless, especially when there is no context, often different sample sizes, population distributions, types of composite scores assigned based on if a site does 1-10 or ABC or whatever... and don't forget that they also disproportionately weight their own 'parent' sites scores - which scores have been shown to be often 'bought'.

Personally I would be happy with a Buy / Try / Fry metric that gives tendencies of thought but forces you to *think* if you want more detail.

After that it would make an average, like if there is 20 Buy, 1 Try and 2 Fry it would tell you this, and say you should buy? and the game to have the most buy would be the highest rank one? hmm why not? but isn't it kind of the same as A B C ratings? ( almost every site has an explanation of their scores like 1-3 don't buy for the love of god please….. 3-5 Not reccomended…. 5-7 Ok if you like the genre 8 - 9 Strongly reccomended for all except the ones to hate this kind of game. 10 A most own for any gamer no matter what! )

But you would get a kind of unified standard between the websites if they all used Buy / Try / Fry….. it would be very hard to distict a game which every site thinks it worth buying but not that special, from a game which every website things is completely exceptional and a must own by all though……

Personally I think Metacritic sucks in terms of scores. Because it implies a mathematical granularity that makes no sense given that most reviewers are 'liberal arts' types with no grasp of numbers … and since one of my degrees is in statistics … well, it drives me nuts.

Review scores, so messed up that not even the central limit theorem can restore order? :D

Review scores, so messed up that not even the central limit theorem can restore order? :D

Central limit has assumptions, and having a bunch of math-impaired folks using different metrics creating a population isn't one of them :D

Personally I *hate* scores - I love doing the 'Buy It / Try It / Skip It' that I do for VGBlogger … or the no score at all for GearDiary …

I actually agree.

There are some games I'd score on the somewhat low side of a grade scale but I still think are great games.

Something like Arcanum is very tough to grade. Poor graphics (even at release), lousy UI, horrible combat engine, buggy. But it's still a must-play title for true RPG fans.

Nice review, and Mike is right there ARE some additional things, but:
Classes: yeah, Travis added classes the skill trees boil down to about what you had in Fate + expansions excepting some things are now "skills" while others are still "spells" as far as the spell like "skills" go. Still feels alot like Fate char dev to me in the end.

Transmutation: Now this is NEW, but the recipes are pretty limited. (I think that there are about 5 or so altogether, including the gem comboing excepting the gems that don't combo right because they seem to be classed as simple magic items, e.g. Adept Skulls IIRC and similar. (Their descs still say that you cna combo 2 gems of the same kind/type though… but their "title" is green like simple magic items…)

Pets: Yep, just about identical but I think that they lost an item slot in TL, but I'll have to double check later. Plus they added a ferret for the boxed edition and, apparently enabled the ferret mod to work for the dd versions.

Finished up the "storyline" the other day (play a dungeon level every few or so day, so about 2m overall and about 15h IIRC) as an alchemist plus a few levels of the random dungeon(Shadow Vault) just to see what it'd be like. Reminds me alot of Fate quests again, but the loot on the last half of the main dungeon plus Shadow Vault so far seems pretty well meh, lotsa green items, some purple, rarely set item or unique something like 3 or 4 uniques on the last 20 levels for my char and same for set items(none complete some dupes).

Last level was kind of unexpectedly hectic given the pushover that Alric was… kind of funny watching his speech before well you know what he does where he had crit crit crit crit 7452 8997 etc. keep floating above his head… :D (I'm thinking that last level would be fun as the rogue and fighter chars since I had 2 golems, 5 imps, and the regular pet helping to keep the hecticness down while I nuked the final boss with the phaser ba… erk Ember Lance while occassionally sweeping around for mopup.

Still in the end it just doesn't seem to have that appeal to me like Fate did and the expansions, but I suppose that it doesn't help that there are some UI and engine problems like Ember Lance not always triggering and the occasionally massive perf drops on a 2.4GHz Core 2 + 4850(of course this being an ATI card I can't rule out the driver as even the Windows drivers aren't quite as good overall as nVidia, and don't even ask me about their linux catalyst drivers… just waiting for a little more to get finished on the OSS X driver… openGL 3.2 support… only has 1.4 + some 2 right now plus basic GLSL). Also 1.15 seems to have made some of that performance drops worse and there were a few other things that didn't make it seem as nice as it was earlier...

Back
Top Bottom