Druidstone - Interview @ Enklawa

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Enklawa interviewed Ctrl Alt Ninja's Juho Salila about Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest.

EnklawaNetwork.pl: Most members of Ctrl Alt Ninja worked in Almost Human studio on Legend of Grimrock games. Both of these games felt successful and gamers seemed to want more of it, but instead of sequel you decided to work on a completely different franchise as a completely different studio. The question everybody asks now is simple: „why”?

Juho Salila: Grimrock games were a huge success to us and we are aware that a lot of people would like to see Legend of Grimrock 3. We poured our hearts and souls into Grimrock 2 and the game has pretty much all we want in a dungeon crawler. Making Grimrock 3 right after Grimrock 2 would have felt that we would be repeating ourselves, so that's why we decided that a small break from game development would be nice to have. During the break we could charge our creative batteries and gather ideas for a new game. Time passed and when Petri [Ed. Note: Häkkinen, one of the designers of the original Grimrock] and I felt the itch for making a new game, some members of the original Grimrock team were already tied with another projects. Because not everyone was involved, it was natural to start a new studio called Ctrl Alt Ninja. Currently Ctrl Alt Ninja has three members of the original Grimrock team and it may be possible that some other familiar faces will jump on board if we can sort out the schedules. At Ctrl Alt Ninja we started prototyping new game ideas and finally after seven game prototypes we ended up with Druidstone. Druidstone combines the best parts of RPGs, boardgames and tactical combat games that we love so much.

EN: Grimrock games gained you a lot of fans eager to play your next game. Have you ever thought about using this power for a crowdfunding purpose?

JS: Yes, we've thought about crowdfunding, but Finnish legislation makes crowdfunding a bit tricky and you can't start Kickstarter campaign in Finland. While crowdfunding may get you started, it's still a lot of work when done properly and all that work is taken away from actual game development.
More information.

Stinky friggin Druid for protagonist and he is named Leonhard? BLuEEH! NO BUY!

What, a fixed protagonist?
I want to give these Devs the benefit of the doubt because of Grimrock, bit I feel increasingly that I'm not going to buy this. :( Wait and see I guess.

I'll be the contrarian and say the game sounds interesting to me.

+ It has tactical combat
+ You have a party with a variety of different characters.
+ Yes, the main character is a druid, but it sounds like he can have a variety of builds, and I can't remember a game with a main character druid.
+ It seems to be a very story oriented game.

All that sounds good to me, especially coming from developers who've made quality games in the past. I will certainly consider giving this one a spin.

Sounds interesting but need to know more so will wait and see.

lol, not sure why druids would result in a negative reaction. I think druids are a cool class, have always thought so. That said, yea - "Leonhard" is a lame-ass name. But does it really matter that much? Ha ha ha, no... :biggrin:

Just not a fan of fixed protagonists, I hadn't realised they were going down that route. On the positive side, sounds like they've dialled back the procedurally generated stuff, and having it between areas might work well.

I'm not ruling Druidstone out - Grimrock was ace, after all - but I'll wait for more information.

A New most awesome title popped into my head for this game:

Tranny on a Tricycle !

How the Druid Lasagna Ladadandantriel farted with such vehemence one morning that it blew away all leaves from the trees and the forest became very naked that day. When Tranny Druid Lasagna Ladadandantriel saw the calamity He-She-X-Worm-Self Caused a big smile smeared itself onto hshis face..

Back
Top Bottom