Monster Hunter World

I've now played over 800 hours since launch. I think I'm qualified to answer this question!

Yes, you can play solo.

I believe the crossover content from Final Fantasy and Witcher 3 (Extreme Behemoth and Ancient Leshen) don't scale to solo, so these two limited events are best done with a group. The base event (normal Behemoth and Leshen) can be done solo. The Witcher 3 quest MUST be done solo. Only the Ancient Leshen can be done as a group. (They're only available after you've beaten the main storyline.)

Matchmaking is all done at a signpost or NPC in town. Your options are:

Start a quest
Join a quest
Join an SOS

If you start a quest you can fire an SOS flare in game which will allow other players to join your hunt.

Join a quest only joins quests made by people in your lobby; even if they don't fire an SOS.

Join an SOS gives you a list of hunts to join where the host fired an SOS flare.

(If you start in Offline mode only Start a quest will be available.)
(You can make a private online lobby)

Not trying to argue with you as you have 800 hours and I have a total of zero.:biggrin:

But, I've talked to several people who say while you can play solo the game simply gets too hard for solo eventually.

Also heard it's extremely repetitive. Gather resources to kill monster, find monster, kill it. rinse and repeat. I know the games called Monster hunter but is this it as far as gameplay goes?

Not trying to argue with you as you have 800 hours and I have a total of zero.:biggrin:

But, I've talked to several people who say while you can play solo the game simply gets too hard for solo eventually.

Also heard it's extremely repetitive. Gather resources to kill monster, find monster, kill it. rinse and repeat. I know the games called Monster hunter but is this it as far as gameplay goes?

I only found the game repetitive towards the end game. The game continuously introduce new monsters to hunt and they all require different tactics to tackle them. I found the game less fun solo because then you always play in same way unless you change the weapon and have to rely on palico with pretty bad AI. I much preferred playing it with hubby - if I need to heal up, he will cover for me, if we want to trap the monster, one of us will have a trap ready and the other with tranq shot.

I've actually found the opposite is true. For example, I decided to make the arch-tempered undead dragon armour set and played the whole Saturday for 8 hours of losses until I decided to stop messing around and just solo it. Then I beat it without a single death three times in a row and I was done.

The trouble is, everyone just builds for damage and doesn't even take Health Boost. For this fight you'd ideally have Miasma Resist so your health doesn't get halved by the aura of decay and you need full, max health and 30+ dragon resist to not get 1shot by his breath weapon. Clearmind charm would help reduce the effluvium damage, but I just use a lifesteal Longsword and attack constantly.

I prefer to play multiplayer and always pop an SOS but eventually enough is enough and you just have to beat things by yourself.

Sure, it could be called repetitive. All games are. But the core gameplay loop is fantastic and there's 14 weapons to keep it fresh.

Honestly, if it were simply a full-on single player game, I would have likely already acquired it by now.
Ever play the God Eater games? Same basic idea. It can be played single or multi-player.

Only 14 ? Don't most rpg have 100's and some 1000's ?

Yeah, its like Nathaniel3W said. They all play very differently. You could almost think of them as separate classes that you can freely switch between.

I only found the game repetitive towards the end game. The game continuously introduce new monsters to hunt and they all require different tactics to tackle them. I found the game less fun solo because then you always play in same way unless you change the weapon and have to rely on palico with pretty bad AI. I much preferred playing it with hubby - if I need to heal up, he will cover for me, if we want to trap the monster, one of us will have a trap ready and the other with tranq shot.

I've actually found the opposite is true. For example, I decided to make the arch-tempered undead dragon armour set and played the whole Saturday for 8 hours of losses until I decided to stop messing around and just solo it. Then I beat it without a single death three times in a row and I was done.

The trouble is, everyone just builds for damage and doesn't even take Health Boost. For this fight you'd ideally have Miasma Resist so your health doesn't get halved by the aura of decay and you need full, max health and 30+ dragon resist to not get 1shot by his breath weapon. Clearmind charm would help reduce the effluvium damage, but I just use a lifesteal Longsword and attack constantly.

I prefer to play multiplayer and always pop an SOS but eventually enough is enough and you just have to beat things by yourself.

Sure, it could be called repetitive. All games are. But the core gameplay loop is fantastic and there's 14 weapons to keep it fresh.

Thanks for the reply’s. Ill end up getting this and trying it myself eventually. Given my current backlog 50% off isn’t enough as I wouldn’t get to it for quite a while anyway.

Thanks for the reply’s. Ill end up getting this and trying it myself eventually. Given my current backlog 50% off isn’t enough as I wouldn’t get to it for quite a while anyway.

Well, that depends. If you play games based on their date bought then it might go in the backlog. But if you just play what you feel like playing then it probably wouldn't make it to the backlog, at all. ;)

I payed full price and after 800 hours I feel like I owe Capcom money! :p

So how many weapons of each type ?

I dunno. Heaps. There's the basic ore/bone trees with 8 tiers each, but then there's tangents made with monster parts, event weapons like Witchers Silver Sword, arena token "workshop" weapons and fuck knows how many different weapons you can chip out of Kulves horns. (The "raid" boss. He's a treasure dragon with a coat made of gold and weapons.)

I don't have a very good screenshot of him, but he looks something like this without his coat of gold or horns. (Killing blow screenshot)
iDuL5A4.jpg

And here's a little picture purpleblob might appreciate =)
dC3Eqf4.jpg

One more? One more!
wdwCeKl.jpg

Just cos its cool :D

Last edited:
Come to think of it, there is a good reason to buy MHW now.

13 million copies of Monster Hunter: World have been shipped worldwide (including digital sales), a new record for the series!
To celebrate, all players will receive a free item pack for a limited time only!

This item pack can be claimed only once when receiving your login bonus.
If you have trouble claiming the item pack, close the game, update the application, and try claiming your login bonus again the following day.

Item pack name
- 13 Million Celebration Item Pack

Availability
- From July 25 19:00 to August 29 23:59 UTC.

Contents:
- Attack Jewel x 1
- Silver Egg x 13
- Appreciation Ticket x 13
- Gold Wyverian Print x 3
- Heavy Armor Sphere x 3

These jewels almost never drop and you want 3 of them.

You get 1 as your first jewel, you can get another from the Witcher quest by saving the pukei-pukei and you can get a third with this pack and never need a drop.

Then you use Nergi V legs and A helm and you're at 7/7 attack bonus.

Thank me later :p

Well 5 minutes of play and already first really annoying bug - my character has no voice. When I made the main character i had the option to pick a voice but none of the produced sound - the npc talk just fine but i'm totally mute and nothing seems to work to fix it.

Well 5 minutes of play and already first really annoying bug - my character has no voice. When I made the main character i had the option to pick a voice but none of the produced sound - the npc talk just fine but i'm totally mute and nothing seems to work to fix it.

That's not a bug. Your character don't talk, they only grunt.

Lips move a lot but not much grunting. We shall see how it goes; feels kind of weak so far - but it might be good. Sort of a little like dogma game (not the story or setting but just the mechanics (minus the pawn)).

That's not a bug. Your character don't talk, they only grunt.

Lips move a lot but not much grunting. We shall see how it goes; feels kind of weak so far - but it might be good. Sort of a little like dogma game (not the story or setting but just the mechanics (minus the pawn)).

Personally, I like MHW a lot of than Dragon's Dogma.

I think the control is less clunky on PC and I quite liked fighting monsters with the bow gun but I guess that's up to individual's preference. I'm currently trying out dual dagger with a new character but liking it less than bow gun.

On the other hand, I'm hating respawns in DD and melee combat with the dagger, using bow is much better but not enjoying it as much as MHW.

The lip sync is actually synced to the Japanese version which is why it looks a little off.

Personally, I like MHW a lot of than Dragon's Dogma.

I think the control is less clunky on PC and I quite liked fighting monsters with the bow gun but I guess that's up to individual's preference. I'm currently trying out dual dagger with a new character but liking it less than bow gun.

On the other hand, I'm hating respawns in DD and melee combat with the dagger, using bow is much better but not enjoying it as much as MHW.

Yeah, way better than DD.

I'm not a huge fan of the daggers. Hang on, let me check my weapon usage!
EbmdrEk.jpg

Looks like Longsword is the clear winner. It's because you can counter any attack, I guess.

PS. were you not impressed with my attack jewel drop? Get excited!! :p

Back
Top Bottom