Frayed Knights - 2 - Update on Spells

aries100

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson has updated his blog on the development on Frayed Knights 2. He talks about how to use spells in the game. An excerpt on how the game will generate spells:
#5 – THIS IS THE BIG ONE – The game will provide lots of procedurally generated spells throughout the game. Some will be available in a shop, others can be found on scrolls throughout the game. Scrolls can be used to either scribe a spell in your spellbook, or cast directly. These will be random, so the exact spells available to you will be different with every game. Because of the fixed, custom spells from points 3 and 4, you won’t be left high-and-dry without any spells to fulfill a caster’s primary role, but you may have to make due with some interesting combinations you’ve found by chance.
More information.

Just please make the spell casting menu less clunky. It drove me crazy (in the demo, didn't buy the game since this and a couple other things just got to me) how many clicks were needed to cast a spell.

Its a minor nitpick, I know, but even in the demo it was really annoying me.

If you read the article, you'll see that was point #1 - would that be a reasonable approach for you? (If not, I'm open to better suggestions!)

Just please make the spell casting menu less clunky. It drove me crazy (in the demo, didn't buy the game since this and a couple other things just got to me) how many clicks were needed to cast a spell.

Its a minor nitpick, I know, but even in the demo it was really annoying me.

I'm not far into the game yet (started a few weeks ago, a few hours at a time), at first I thought like you but then I realized I just used a few spells consistently for each character, so I put them in their shortcut slot (though only having 3 or 4 might be a problem as I gain more spells) and the problem disappeared. C to open up the casting menu, 1-3 (or is it 4?) to cast the spell.

No worries, both you and wolfling are correct. I think the single biggest complaint about Frayed Knights 1 was the interface for spellcasting and using active feats. So it's a big challenge for me to see if I can find a way to keep the richness of the existing system - and the interesting potential decisions - and yet not overwhelm the players quite so much anymore with too many choices that are too complex to really tell the difference between them.

Back
Top Bottom