Elex IGN did NOT like Elex - 4.9/10

The game is pretty much a Gothic/Risen clone. Nothing wrong with that I guess - I mean if Vogel can relaunch the same game year after year, Piranha Bytes should be able to partake of the same stagnancy of ideas as well.

And, while I feel that D:OS 2 falters in certain key areas, there's no denying that it's greatly more original than a Gothic retread, if only for its freeform multiplayer aspect. Still, it all comes down to what you prefer in a game. Myself, I'll be waiting 6-12 months; I've already played this game in the form of Gothic and Risen and don't personally sense any urgency to rush into another reskin while it's still in need of patching.

I'm no stranger to PB games so I'll wait for the community patch but hearing this has made me a little more interested. :)

Game is perfectly playable right now. No gamebreaker bugs and the only bug I've seen in 20+ hours is twice my companion stood there until I physically attacked the enemy. If you attack with a ranged weapon first, or make contact first, they will attack.

This game doesn't need a community patch, but PB is already working on a patch right now to address the minor issues that are there.

Last edited:
The low scores for ELEX are absurd. It sounds like people gave up after the first few hours, which are indeed quite challenging. Probably over the top, given the difficulty in the rest of the game. I know this has always been something of a PB trademark, but ELEX has a broader appeal in most ways, yet still the old school start.

Personally, I think it's a great game, and my review is likely to reflect that.

The low scores for ELEX are absurd.

Yup. They make no sense at all. I think if the game was released by a more well-known company it would be a much different reception from website reviewers.

There is also a big disconnect between the review scores of gaming websites and the reviews from gamers on Steam. Reviews on Steam are 72% positive, i.e. Mostly Positive, with 1500+ reviews in already. The broader appeal is actually attracting new players and also creating new fans for PB as well. I mentioned this earlier but that part is really surprising to me. I did not see that coming.

Pay for Gamespot and IGN reviews... get good reviews.

Wowsers, the PB "Fanboyism" is strong in this thread :lol:

Wowsers, the PB "Fanboyism" is strong in this thread :lol:

Maybe, but my comments about ign and gamespot are true regardless. Both of them have been busted for paid reviews in the past.

Didn't read it, but judging by one or two sentences I saw in the review, it looks like these "reviews" are nothing more than clickbait nowadays.

Nothing for me to see here. :)

Apparently RPS didn't like Elex either:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/23/elex-first-hour/

While I don't really agree with them, it was an entertaining read, and I had a good chuckle.
That's John Walker, aka Super Twat, and clickbait is his primary superpower. I'm surprised he didn't chuck in his usual screed, banging his drum about misogynism, etc. There is valid criticism about such things, but Walker always manages to way over do it, hurting his more valid points. I can often tell which articles are his just by sampling a single paragraph.

Also, his taste sucks.

(Also, that's a pretty shitty piece of assassination based on one hour of gameplay)

Wow that's harsh. There is obviously a clear disconnect between "professional critics" and gamers. Hopefully the word of mouth is enough to even partially offset the damaging effect of these unfair first wave "reviews." As I've said it before: Piranha bytes simply can't win with critics. Gothic 2 got exactly this kind of harsh treatment from major game sites…

There is obviously a clear disconnect between "professional critics" and gamers.

Sure is.

Hopefully the word of mouth is enough to even partially offset the damaging effect of these unfair first wave "reviews."

Game went from 3k in-game on the release day to 21k a couple days later. I'd say it's doing alright. :)

Has RPS really become that amateurish that they let guys like this write for them now?

I hope not. Maybe it's a bad day. I still like them currently. Hope that doesn't have to change.

I must be the weird one who hasn't read a major review from a gaming site in years. Other than RPGWatch here, and that's more for moral support for my writing comrades. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom