Druidstone - Review @ RPG Site

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Site has reviewed Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest:

Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest Review

When some Almost Human alumni announced the formation of Ctrl Alt Ninja and their debut release Druidstone: The Secret of Menhir Forest, I originally wasn't really aware of the project. I hadn't really had any experience with the Legend of Grimrock series, so this new studio title wasn't originally on my radar. However, under a new name came a slight shift in genre, and Druidstone ended up as a tactical style RPG in the vein of Divinity: Original Sin instead of something more similar to the Grimrock games. I eventually found that Druidstone manages to put its own spin on some of the ideas of contemporary grid-based CRPGs, and makes a pretty good entry-point for the subgenre overall.
[...]
Druidstone is a perfect entry point for RPG fans that are interested in this style of tactical game without having to invest several dozens of hours in a longer experience that they may not enjoy. It doesn't offer a lot in terms of unique themes or robust storytelling, but it's balanced out by an impressive variety of encounter designs and flexibility for different playstyles. On top of these strengths, it also offers some surprisingly good musical scores and environmental art. It's a strong overall package that, while brief, was a joy to play through.

Score: 8/10
More information.

anyone played it? Wondering if it is any good, certainly looks good !

Yep, only last mission left until I finished it.
It's a nice game if you like challenging combat. The RPG aspects are rather small though.
The game consists of multiple missions you can select and which are unlocked in an almost linear way. These missions are also connected with a story which is very fantasy-ish and not really my cup of tea. But there is quite a bit of dialogues which you cannot influence.

Each mission has bonus objectives and you get additional "gems" for completing them which you can then use to enhance the skills.
You can re-do them later to still get these bonus objectives as well if you didnt do them the first time.

The thing is though that solving the missions without these bonus objectives is extremely easy, even on hard. And revisiting them later kind of breaks the game balance wise as your characters are much stronger then and you might even have an additional character.

So in order to have a good experience I'd say that you should try to do all objectives right away when you do the mission the first time.

So this game is really about combat, it has some rpg aspects, with skill selection an so on, but the focus is defeinitely the combat maps which most of the time also have time pressure.

Yep, only last mission left until I finished it.
It's a nice game if you like challenging combat. The RPG aspects are rather small though.
The game consists of multiple missions you can select and which are unlocked in an almost linear way. These missions are also connected with a story which is very fantasy-ish and not really my cup of tea. But there is quite a bit of dialogues which you cannot influence.

Each mission has bonus objectives and you get additional "gems" for completing them which you can then use to enhance the skills.
You can re-do them later to still get these bonus objectives as well if you didnt do them the first time.

The thing is though that solving the missions without these bonus objectives is extremely easy, even on hard. And revisiting them later kind of breaks the game balance wise as your characters are much stronger then and you might even have an additional character.

So in order to have a good experience I'd say that you should try to do all objectives right away when you do the mission the first time.

So this game is really about combat, it has some rpg aspects, with skill selection an so on, but the focus is defeinitely the combat maps which most of the time also have time pressure.

Sounds good to me, thank you for your opinion !!
gonna be on my to do list

"a slight shift in genre"? Game is completely different from Grimrock.

Kordanor is right that skipping the bonus objectives make missions easy. It also would make them dull so why not go for the bonus objectives? Achieving them directly and significantly affects your skills build out and money to buy equipment.

I'm really liking it so far, zero complaints.

"a slight shift in genre"? Game is completely different from Grimrock.

Kordanor is right that skipping the bonus objectives make missions easy. It also would make them dull so why not go for the bonus objectives? Achieving them directly and significantly affects your skills build out and money to buy equipment.

I'm really liking it so far, zero complaints.

Yep, I generally dislike it though when the developer basically doesn't prompt the player to do it the "fun" way so that there is a good chance, that you play the game and then conclude that it's not fun. I actually found the second map quite tricky. And the third and I think the fourth (one was with the basilisk) I didn't do with objectives as I thought like "the game is build in a way that I should come back later". Which...it really is not, even though it looks like it with the star rating, option to grind and all that. Yeah, you can do so...but then it's not fun.

Reminds me of games where you can save mid combat which ruins combat mechanics, or Divinity OS 1 where you had to play without usable items (arrows and so on) as it made the game ridiculously easy even on max difficulty.

So imho regarding that, they could have done a better job, and if it was just in communication.

We're having a slightly different experience. I've found 2/3 of the maps quite tricky on the first playthru (this is on Normal), and couldn't get every objective. I returned later when I had more gems and better skills to complete the trickier ones, like killing the basilisk. Just as important, you have a better sense of how to get each objective after you've had a run through.

Never felt like a grind to me because of the variety and freshness of opponents, and you're skipping the fact that your xp rewards on subsequent plays of the same maps is SEVERELY handicapped, 50% for the first replay, 75% for the second. IMO this discourages grinding for the sake of grinding.

But it sounds like you tried at least to get the bonus objectives. If you go right ahead and do the minimum it should be quite easy. And then if you have done 5-10 other missions like that, got the additional character then then go back to do the bonus objectives it will be a walk in the park.

Back
Top Bottom