What games are you playing now?

I've started Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I like it a lot, but there are some things that ruins the fun for me

- you kill an entire garrison for the spartans you kill a leader, change a regime
- next day you do it for the athenians and you do it all again
None of the faction observe that you play both sides and you destroy their armies, it;s kind of pointless
Also.. where are the slaves? I'm pretty sure that the spartans used a shit ton of slaves and in the rural areas athenians used them too

Ignoring these things.. I have a lot of fun killing and making money out of it ^_^

I dabbled with Destiny 2 a little and thought it was ok. I'm not a big fan of looter shooters but the gunplay is slick enough that I might play through the campaign at least once. I also recently purchased the Lost Planet trilogy and might give that a go for some mindless fun. I played a little of the first game and it seemed decent enough for a pure action title.

That's what I did, got it when they made it free, played through the campaign which is enjoyable enough, uninstalled.

I've started Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I like it a lot, but there are some things that ruins the fun for me

- you kill an entire garrison for the spartans you kill a leader, change a regime
None of the faction observe that you play both sides and you destroy their armies, it;s kind of pointless
Also.. where are the slaves? I'm pretty sure that the spartans used a shit ton of slaves and in the rural areas athenians used them too

Ignoring these things.. I have a lot of fun killing and making money out of it ^_^

It's definitely my favorite AC - so far. Which is ironic, since I'm not really a fan of the Greek setting.

Now, I was never a huge fan of the franchise, but I've had a bit of fun with it, here and there.

Odyssey lasted much longer - for me - than any of the others. I think I played it for 40+ hours or so, before getting bored.

It's put together by bits and pieces of other games - like Shadow of War/Mordor - but they have found a very decent balance.

It's also incredibly big and very pretty indeed.

Heck, even the story worked for me - for the most part.

They made it free for a limited period of time.

That said, you definitely want the Forsaken expansion if you want to experience the full game.

But the base campaign is sort of ok - and there's a lot of eye candy involved. Obviously, though, the story is not the "point" of the game - and not really why most people play it.

Of all the looter shooters, I prefer Division overall - but Destiny 2 has its moments and is quite enjoyable in coop.

Warframe would be my favorite if it had more actual content - and not the worst payment model of all time. It's truly amazing how the developers managed to trick so many players into liking their blatantly greedy approach.

Yes, it adds quite a bit of story as well as a lot of additional content. IIRC, you can get a deal that includes the two lesser DLC releases - both of which are pretty weak, but still add a few hours of story each.

It's a grinding mechanics useful only to gather tons of XP and level up fast. The engravement you get from grinding skirmishes or naval battles is a letdown.

Leave grinding design crimes to Destiny 2 fans and concentrate on other stuff. Go for faction battles only if quest related or the only way to kill a high game mercenary/cult member.
Killing leaders is however very fruitful, the engravement you get boosts % of all damage. Hint? Rush bows and explosion skill (IIRC second from the top, activated with R).

You're a mercenary. As such both factions will pay you for your services. They don't care which side you took previously.
Because of the specific story setup, you cannot really roleplay a loyal spartan or loyal athenian as your goal is nailing the one who pulls strings and pushed both sides into war.

You're mixing greeks and romans. Romans objectified slaves drastically, greeks weren't nearly as barbaric:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Greece

When was Destiny 2 ever free?

What class did you play as? I'm a bit torn on what to choose.
Betrayal at Krondor RPGwatch.

Last edited:
Welcome.

As for the classes, I'd say you don't really "feel" their distinct playstyles until you reach a more advanced stage of gameplay, where you combine the right exotics with the right powers.

In that way, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them if your intention is to focus exclusively on the story and you don't care about your performance during multiplayer activities and what not.

They can all do basic shooter stuff equally well.

However, the basic identity of classes are:

Titan = Warrior/Paladin
Warlock = Wizard/Priest
Hunter = Ranger/Rogue

Blizzard really likes to spread out the extra content in this game. I see there's also an annual pass for an additional $35 which doesn't even include any of the aforementioned DLCs.

I guess that shouldn't come as any kind of surprise though.

Blizzard really likes to spread out the extra content in this game. I see there's also an annual pass for an additional $35 which doesn't even include any of the aforementioned DLCs.

I guess that shouldn't come as any kind of surprise though.

In this case, I believe the blame is on Activision :) The game uses the Blizzard launcher for convenience - but it's very much Activision behind the funding schemes.

Though I'm not sure Blizzard can be considered a separate identity anymore.

Anyway, yes, it's blatantly greedy - and really quite expensive.

Especially if you only care about story.

I wouldn't recommend it as a "pure" shooter, even though I think it's very pretty and atmospheric. But it's a little barebones compared to, say, the modern Wolfenstein games as a pure shooter.

Yeah, I don't care for Blizzard or Activision much at all anymore, but I've always liked Bungie's style well enough. It's unfortunate they decided to partner with Activision for their publishing.

At least Forsaken now includes the two smaller expansions when you purchase it. I'll probably just get that and ignore the annual pass. I'm assuming the pass doesn't add much in terms of the campaign anyways?

A replay of V:TM-B is also tempting me. I've always wanted to do a Malkavian playthrough
You seriously need to do this sometime. The most fun I had with that game is being an axe-wielding Malkavian psycho. The loopy Malkavian-only dialogue is fantastic.

At least Forsaken now includes the two smaller expansions when you purchase it. I'll probably just get that and ignore the annual pass. I'm assuming the pass doesn't add much in terms of the campaign anyways?

I haven't bought the annual pass myself and I haven't played Destiny 2 for a while, so I'm not really sure. I believe the first part of it was the recent Black Armory - which was mostly about new weapons and multiplayer stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's safe to skip, though there might be a bit of story here and there. It's relatively trivial for them to add a few voice acted quests - and I'm sure they're being told by Activision to entice as many players as possible with the content :)

They might add more story stuff later on, though.

You seriously need to do this sometime. The most fun I had with that game is being an axe-wielding Malkavian psycho. The loopy Malkavian-only dialogue is fantastic.

I've been thinking about it ever since I finished Vampyr. I guess I still have a vampire itch going, plus it's an interesting contrast of similarly themed games. :)

I think I'm going with something more shooter-ish first though or Vaporum.

You're mixing greeks and romans. Romans objectified slaves drastically, greeks weren't nearly as barbaric:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Greece

Well read you own link :))

THEY USED SLAVES, there are no slaves in game!

And no, I do not confuse them with Romans, Spartans were not a working type of ppl, guess who did the work? Slaves, commanded by the wife's of Spartans.

Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes.

The title of the game is kind of random, but it's a good 4X + RPG mix. Sand-box, with procedural world generation of course, as usual for 4X. Nice customization that includes the sovereign and their people. The occasional quests could have more variation. Graphics look a bit dated, but very much serviceable. Only encountered one bug so far: a loss by conquest, when I defeated the last non-allied nation. Guess some bit flipped the wrong way. Was fixed by a reload.

I really like 4X + RPG mixes, so that might bias my opinion.

PS: They really should have added an option to place your own units when starting combat. That's the one most obvious feature that I'm missing.

They have some funky algorithm that at least gets ranged/melee placement somewhat right, but it may mess with melee weapon wearing wizards. On specific maps, it will sometimes place tanky melees in the very back of your army.

PS: They really should have added an option to place your own units when starting combat. That's the one most obvious feature that I'm missing.

They have some funky algorithm that at least gets ranged/melee placement somewhat right, but it may mess with melee weapon wearing wizards. On specific maps, it will sometimes place tanky melees in the very back of your army.

I liked this a lot - but I only play this type of game if it has multiplayer.

After Brad destroyed Elemental by insisting on designing it, they decided to take out multiplayer support for future iterations.

I was a little annoyed at that, I must say - because I think the game became a lot better after they hired a designer who actually had some talent.

After Brad destroyed Elemental by insisting on designing it

You mean the original Elemental: War of Magic? Have to say I skipped that.

Have you tried the newest one, Sorcerer King: Rivals? It looks like it lacks some of the customization that Fallen Enchantress has. Not really sure though.

Back
Top Bottom