Lichdom - AMD TrueAudio Video

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
AMD has released a new video for Lichdom showing off their True Audio technology.

Get an aural glimpse of AMD TrueAudio technology in the upcoming game LICHDOM (http://www.lichdom.com) - a single-player, first-person action game with an emphasis on role-playing and crafting spells. The game takes players on an adventure of godly proportions, pitting humans against the forces of worldly decay: corruption, greed, and decadence. Wielding magic like a weapon across vast, unpredictable and mythical landscapes, players face cunning enemies and daunting challenges in a battle for the ultimate prize: control of the world and everything in it.

AMD TrueAudio technology introduces a new level of immersion. GPUs aren't just for graphics any more. With more acoustic bandwidth and capabilities for developers to play with, plus a healthy slug of extra audio performance, you get a richer in-game soundscape. You'll hear your opponents coming with breathtaking audio realism. It's your game taken to an entirely new dimension. Radeon™ is faster. Radeon is immersive. Radeon is gaming.
More information.

Sounds very convincing.
If more games use this technology my next GPU will be a amd-260x.

This video didn't exactly sell me on this tech, and I very much like my graphics cards to remain graphics cards. All-in-one solutions suck at everything.

This video didn't exactly sell me on this tech, and I very much like my graphics cards to remain graphics cards. All-in-one solutions suck at everything.
Unfortunately looking at the future of graphic cards that is exactly what AMD, and Nvidia both want. A few articles have talked about this on the internet recently.

Not quite. nVidia doesn't want audio coverage on it's PC cards (don't you remember that 9600 cards didn't support HDMI audio transfer?). But when it comes to SOC technology, then we're talking about everyone's desire to combine everything into one chip.

In any case, I say whatever. If I ever start a soundrecording studio at home, I'll probably go for AMD. In the meantime, couldn't care less for that new thing they made.

Not quite. nVidia doesn't want audio coverage on it's PC cards (don't you remember that 9600 cards didn't support HDMI audio?). But when it comes to SOC technology, then we're talking about everyone's desire to combine everything into one chip.
I'm not just talking audio joxer I'm talking about making games exclusive to only their cards with new tech. AMD's audio tech is just one example.

And it'll share the same fate as Sun's GIF scandal.

When will they learn that exclusivity is a thing for crapphones and crappierconsoles? PC was never ment to be a set of different exclusive architectures. If it was, it'd be dead longtime ago like Amiga.

And it'll share the same fate as Sun's GIF scandal.

When will they learn that exclusivity is a thing for crapphones and crappierconsoles? PC was never ment to be a set of different exclusive architectures. If it was, it'd be dead longtime ago like Amiga.
Don't forget the 3DFX Voodoo cards. The thing is company's aren't known to learn from past mistakes. Bad ideas always come back 10-15 years later.;)

Don't forget the 3DFX Voodoo cards. The thing is company's aren't known to learn from past mistakes. Bad ideas always come back 10-15 years later.;)

I can't see how you could consider the Voodoo a bad idea when the voodoo1&2 dominated the market for quite some time. They supported both Direct3D and OpenGL in addition to GlideFX. The reason they ultimately failed was because they had a vastly inferior product (Voodo 4+) versus Nvidias and AMD's offerings - not related to any proprietary technology.

I don't have a problem with TrueAudio as long as it is easy for developers to include support for and doesn't cost them and arm and a leg. If this isn't the case then I certainly agree and hope it doesn't gain any traction in the market.

I see your forgetting the part were you needed a voodoo card or the game wouldn't run at all. I don't miss those days, and I don't want them coming back. I said all I wanted to say anyway, and I derailed the thread long enough.:blush:

cue nelson "ha haaaa"

big fail with my 3 speaker set up, and if they're going to be involved in making games that will only run on their cards then they are dead to me.

I have my laptop hooked up to surround sound, but I barely noticed any difference from regular stereo to whatever mode they were showing off in that video.

I don't get it. What's supposed to be different? Maybe headphones would be better.

You saying it's AMD's remake of Andersen's:
The Emperor's New Clothes?

didn't notice any difference but my pc is hooked up to a 7.1 receiver so maybe that messes with it.

It was actually worse as I only got stereo and no surround in either mode.

Not quite. nVidia doesn't want audio coverage on it's PC cards (don't you remember that 9600 cards didn't support HDMI audio transfer?)..

Their current cards have audio, not sure why you'd say they don't want it because a card that came out 5 years ago didn't support it.

I have my laptop hooked up to surround sound, but I barely noticed any difference from regular stereo to whatever mode they were showing off in that video.

I don't get it. What's supposed to be different? Maybe headphones would be better.

I am using a headphone (2.0). Guess it works a lot better on a stereo set then on a 5.1+ set?

I think they are just doing the old audio tricks to try and make stereo sound more like surround sound. They kinda work and they are certainly better than nothing but they are totally pointless if you've actually got a surround sound system hooked up.

Back
Top Bottom