Elex Abilities question

You're a pretty unique person Fluent. I'll give you that. ;)

I think that's the closest you've ever come to saying something nice to me. Thank you for that. :)

I knew Piranha Bytes games could be a common ground for us. Lol.

Well, I mostly meant that you're unique in your opinion in this matter, but I'm glad you're enjoying the game as much as you are. :)

It's got some aspects that are close to how I'd design my dream RPG really. I've been wanting a huge yet handcrafted open world for awhile now, and the closest to this style has been Enderal or Nehrim I'd say. So I'm excited about the potential of ELEX going forward.

I also hope Bethesda is taking notes. Would be cool to see the next TES game have some of PB's elements.

Glad you're enjoying it as well. Reviews are up to 74% positive on Steam now too. :)

Last edited:
I'd liked Bethesda to take alot of notes from Elex but I highly doubt they will seeing as how badly Elex scored in the media :/

I'd liked Bethesda to take alot of notes from Elex but I highly doubt they will seeing as how badly Elex scored in the media :/

Yet it's getting very good Steam reviews, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Bethesda I'm sure is watching all the new open-world games to see what they can learn from them, and I have a feeling they're paying attention to ELEX.

This is just a bold prediction, but I think the next Elder Scrolls will have some PB-style elements. Specifically, I predict that they bring back levitation or vertical exploration via flying in some way, and scale down the level-scaling quite a bit to be a bit closer to the style of ELEX. I also foresee them getting major props for doing so from the same reviewers who are giving bad scores to ELEX.

Just a guess though. :)

I'm fairly certain they are well aware of Piranha Bytes and will look into anything they do to see if there's something to learn. That goes both ways, of course. Both studios are skilled enough to make individual assessments without paying too much attention to reviews (or even user scores; they'll just check out the game themselves and see if there's anything that works or doesn't work).

I would love vertical exploration in a Bethesda game...I really like the jetpack and it has saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I always thought levitation in Morrowind was poorly implemented, but it was useful to float up and blast people with fireballs etc ;-) I liked parrot flight and the the levitation in the first Risen - I really think PB do this kind of thing really well.

Jetpack is pretty awesome and its not just for exploration. I can't imagine taking on high level mobs without it!

I would love vertical exploration in a Bethesda game…I really like the jetpack and it has saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I always thought levitation in Morrowind was poorly implemented, but it was useful to float up and blast people with fireballs etc ;-) I liked parrot flight and the the levitation in the first Risen - I really think PB do this kind of thing really well.

Morrowinds was awesome at the time though. Just cast spells to fly in the air, it was groundbreaking for gamers like me who had never seen that.

But between games like ELEX and even ME:A, there's no way Bethesda doesn't add a jetpack or levitation in some new form, imo. A Dwemer jetpack, maybe? :)

Apparently they've also scaled down the level scaling in Fallout 4 so wouldn't be surprised to see them go further for the next TES.

I'm fairly certain they are well aware of Piranha Bytes and will look into anything they do to see if there's something to learn. That goes both ways, of course. Both studios are skilled enough to make individual assessments without paying too much attention to reviews (or even user scores; they'll just check out the game themselves and see if there's anything that works or doesn't work).

Well, here's hoping :)

Well, here's hoping :)

Skyrim will be boring even if they added jet packs now. The difference between PB game and a Bethesda game is that in PB games, you have to work hard for things so when you finally get the stuff its far more rewarding than when stuff are handed to you.

The world of Elex is brutal and there are very high level monsters around so the the jet pack will allow you some clear options to avoid these difficult monsters even they even becomes part of the combat strategy. In Skyrim, the jet pack will just be a tool to pass over the obstacles a normal jump won't do.

Having said all that, Bethesda knows this but they also know that most games are happy with awesome buttons ...

The thing is, less level-scaling also seems to be a bit of a trend now. I'm hoping that by TES VI, the trend is in full swing to where PB style worlds are a bit of the expected design. I know that could be wishful thinking but I think since Fallout 4 also had less level-scaling, which Bethesda stressed in the hype train leading up to the game, I think their next open world will be similar to that, if not further in that direction.

And frankly, I don't see any way they don't have vertical exploration now after seeing ELEX's jetpack. Verticality should now be an open-world staple, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. I doubt TES VI will ever be completely like a PB game, that is wishful thinking, but I think they could and will adopt a few more principles, like cutting down the level-scaling and adding vertical exploration. For rewarding and challenging RPG stuff, I think PB will still stand on their own there. Bethesda might not dare get into very challenging RPG territory again.

Morrowinds was awesome at the time though. Just cast spells to fly in the air, it was groundbreaking for gamers like me who had never seen that.

But between games like ELEX and even ME:A, there's no way Bethesda doesn't add a jetpack or levitation in some new form, imo. A Dwemer jetpack, maybe? :)

Apparently they've also scaled down the level scaling in Fallout 4 so wouldn't be surprised to see them go further for the next TES.

Might and Magic 7 (and maybe 6) also had Fly spell and it was actually useful in some scenarios :) We're talking about a game from 1999.

Right. I'm sure other games had it too, but Morrowind really took it to another level. Sort of ironic if it comes full circle with the next TES game.

The Fly spell in M&M games was probably my most used spell along with meteor shower from above!! :)

I would not want TES to be like a PB game anyhow. Bad things happen when games try to copy to much of other games (some copy is good of course). I prefer keeping games somewhat more distinct.

Unlike most around here I love Skyrim and did not find it in the least bit boring. My steam played time is 3191 in Skyrim and I still play it when I don't have another game to focus on (tend to alternate it with FO4 when no new game is out).

I am enjoying ELEX immensely - and it is a good sign I restarted it as I will only restart a game I have that much time in if I really like it - as I have to like it a lot to be willing to redo the content so soon after doing it. But that doesn't mean I want all open world games to be like it.

I agree wolfgrim. I just have a gut feeling that Beth is going to borrow some ideas from ELEX, mainly the vertical exploration stuff and maybe make the world less level scaled. But I'm just guessing really. :)

I know this is a bit off topic, but what is Bethesda working on anyway? They've confirmed that the next ES is very far off, so..

Back
Top Bottom