Dragon Age: Inquisition - Early Gameplay Video and Details

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Game Informer has a new article with more details about the game.
The third installment of the Dragon Age franchise casts players as the head of the Inquisition, a recently resurrected organization charged with rooting out corruption and evil in the land of Thedas.

As the game begins, the Inquisition has plenty to investigate. War, scheming, and political strife have left the major power groups in the Dragon Age universe unable to operate effectively, which is a problem when a hole opens in the sky and demons begin pouring out. Players must fight back against the demonic threat while exploring a vast world and consolidating power for the growing Inquisition.

Large and varied environments, customizable armor, and the return of multiple player races are just a few of the ways BioWare is addressing feedback from previous titles in order to shape a new future for the franchise.
There is a new video with early game footage also.

And finally The BioWare Social Network has a topic with more information and answers from Bioware.

More information.

Mounts!
Race selection for the PC (one of the game they added with the 1 year push back)

Also, Varric and Cassandra traveling together, before joining the Inquisition. I guess they are the first two companions that you get, you can see them in almost all the screenshots in the mag.

It's also sad for all the other companions, because I'm not going to leave them in the camp, so I got a single spot in the team for someone else.

Isn't the first talking head the fired guy? That's kind of sad, and also raises the question of when this was made.

Or am I wrong?

Also - I find that after reading the Bioware thread I am still an excited fan, despite never having finished DA2.

Do you mean Mike Laidlaw? He is still there but he is not Project Director this time. His new title is now Creative Director. Almost the same thing in the end.

"the return of multiple player races"
That would be great news, but I thought bioware had already confirmed the pc would be human only. Have they backtracked, or will it be something for multiplayer only?

Yey, I always wanted to be boss of an Inquisition!… ehem… xd
You already can play as one. Go buy Inquisitor on GOG.;)
"the return of multiple player races"
That would be great news, but I thought bioware had already confirmed the pc would be human only. Have they backtracked, or will it be something for multiplayer only?
Well they say this on the Bioware forums.
Are you saying we can play an elf or a dwarf in DAI for single player?

Yes.

This makes me wonder whether there've been any changes to the the origins also - will they be playable now, will there be more to allow variety for different races?

The race/class selection replaces the plans for different backgrounds we'd mentioned earlier. There's slightly more nuance to it, but it's not quite the same thing.

I'm not sure I'm reading this right. It sounds like the race selection is replacing background selection, but it also sounds like background selection is being replaced by something more nuanced. Are selectable backgrounds out entirely?

Yes, selectable backgrounds are out entirely. Seeing as we never went into detail as to what that entailed, it shouldn't be a hardship— what exists now is race/class choice, and reactivity to that, with some added nuance I mentioned but won't get into (but which also provides reactivity).

Last edited:
Thanks, Couchpotato! Blimey, I'm really surprised by that. Good on bioware for making the change, I'm suddenly quite interested in the game. Not just cos I can play a dwarf (although, hey! :) ), but hopefully this shows hat they're genuinely listening to feedback this time. Fingers crossed….

same here, this really might be the best DA to date
im 30% on preorder, who noes )

BG I & II and a lot of earlier BioWare work were amazing PC games. Seeing them develop and test for console makes me want to vomit.

Not really a whole lot to see, and while I don't want to rule out that they might actually manage to turn DA:I into a good game, I also don't believe anything their marketing heads say.

And people, heed my words: "Those who ignore history are doomed to pre-order again." Just wait for reliable reviews.

Yey, I always wanted to be boss of an Inquisition!… ehem… xd

Based on how Bioware makes their games you really won't be playing as a genuine Inquisitor. I don't think Bioware would make a game that allows you to go around torturing people for confessions and to persecute people. If you want something like that play the game Couchpotato mentioned.

Not really a whole lot to see, and while I don't want to rule out that they might actually manage to turn DA:I into a good game, I also don't believe anything their marketing heads say.

And people, heed my words: "Those who ignore history are doomed to pre-order again." Just wait for reliable reviews.

Yeah, that's sensible advice about pre-ordering I think. Bioware have got a way to go before I buy another of their games on good faith alone. But at least the signals are looking up for this one - ie, longer development time, and some welcome changes to the game format. I agree with you about ignoring their marketing people ("fight like a spartan! Think like a general!" = DA2 combat), but the playable races thing sounds like a black and white statement rather than marketing hot air. We'll see, I guess, but I'm trying to be optimistic (its too sunny in London to be cynical today!).

What sums it up for me is the guy playing it on the PC; with a controller! *SIGH* I don’t want GTE (Grand Theft Equine), Just Chantry Cause 3 or DragonRim

I just hope the party based tactics make a return and that like recent games (DA2 & ME3) they release a good sized demo, because I'm at 30% planning to buy this at the moment, let alone pre-order.

Back
Top Bottom