Cyberpunk 2077 - Release Date: June 2019

My reaction is opposite.
CDpr "fixed" so many wrong things in singleplayer products.
If they're now onto MMO, being sick and tired of overchewed formula everyone makes I want to see their take on it. ASAP.

TMO?

pibbur who is neither massive nor tiny

Tiny in the sense of being able to run private servers for a group of friends to play together - I wouldn't mind that.

I do think, though, that the design decisions required for a multiplayer game may not be optimal for a single player experience.

I do think, though, that the design decisions required for a multiplayer game may not be optimal for a single player experience.

Game was announced in 2012 and the planned release date is in mid 2019. Cyberpunk development team is larger than the one which developed TW3.
In short - argument that nobody can chew gum and read a newspaper at the same time is a bit silly. Some can and some can't.

In short - argument that nobody can chew gum and read a newspaper at the same time is a bit silly. Some can and some can't.

That argument might be a bit silly - but that's not what I said. I said the design decisions demanded by a multiplayer game might not be best for the single player experience.

By that, I mean that making a game that is suitable for synchronous multiplayer play imposes many constraints. The ways in which gameplay, animation, combat, pausing, etc, can work will be dictated by the considerations of multiplayer. Creating a multiplayer game is really quite a different proposition than a single player RPG. It may be possible to create a good single player experience within that framework, but it's the requirements of multiplayer that have to take precedence in the design.

If CD Projekt do multiplayer I expect it to be a separate part of the game like GTA online to GTA V. I would not expect a subscription service but an all-in-one offering given their DRM roots and practice. CD Projekt have often said they look up to Rockstar and are looking to emulate them. Having said that I believe they will deliver multiplayer in their own way and look to be more player friendly. CD Projekt will not be relying on their multiplayer systems for providing an enjoyable single player imo.

My reaction is opposite.
If they're now onto MMO, being sick and tired of overchewed formula everyone makes I want to see their take on it. ASAP.

What did they fix? I think they did a good job of presenting concepts that were in other games already.

"Has" multiplayer and "is" multiplayer are two very different things. My impression was that the former applies here and not the latter. A game doesn't have to be designed around multiplayer to have multiplayer. Baldur's Gate had multiplayer for example and yet is one of the greatest single-player crpgs ever made. The myth that a game can't have multiplayer without ruining the single-player has been proven wrong time and time again.

That said, I'd prefer the multiplayer to be completely separate in this instance. Even make it a free add-on or something. Unless it's as simple as a second player taking control of a companion or something similar.

Pretty sure this game will be just fine in the single player department.

And hey! We have like two years to twist ourselves into a knot over it!

Go!

My reaction is opposite.

That is quite something, coming from you, Joxer. You usually shoot down anything the moment it mentions MP.

Either way, curious to see what they come up with, but I also hope the MP aspect will not "contaminate" the SP experience.

Not anything, I'm not MMO virgin and I still get my team multiplayer fix in League of Legends occasionally. ;)

I shoot down everything that says "multiplayer" without stating why is it better for audience pockets than already existing subscript2win/pay2win models, why is it more fun and why is it (totally) different from numerous other MMOs.

We've seen numerous sp/mp hybrids with approach:
- the game is MMO, but has a short campaign to play when you don't feel like MMOing(Titanfall 2)
- the game has huge sp and mp, not affecting one another in any way (GTA5)
- the game's mp is added to scam people as sp win depends on mp (ME3, MGS5)

If CDpr is making a hybrid I bet it'll go two independant games in one package, one not affecting another. On the other hand they could split it into two games and sell separately as Bethesda did, Skyrim for singleplayer fans and ESO for MMO fans.
Or they can screw all of us up. :D

Eh, I made the mistake of thinking they were foolish when they first announced they were going open world in The Witcher 3. This time, I'll wait and see what the end product is before I hit any panic buttons.

No need to worry this early on, there's still like 2 years+ development time left! I personally want to trust CD project since they've done fantastic job on the Witcher 3. Although I prefer SP RPG I actually won't mind multiplayer if it works similar to IE game multiplayer or co-op. I'm still looking for a decent co-op rpg to play with hubby. Unfortunately we went to wow to play something together lol.

No need to worry this early on, there's still like 2 years+ development time left! I personally want to trust CD project since they've done fantastic job on the Witcher 3. Although I prefer SP RPG I actually won't mind multiplayer if it works similar to IE game multiplayer or co-op. I'm still looking for a decent co-op rpg to play with hubby. Unfortunately we went to wow to play something together lol.

You probably have, but just in case: Have you tried Divinity: Original Sin? It's got a two-player co-op multiplayer option.

You probably have, but just in case: Have you tried Divinity: Original Sin? It's got a two-player co-op multiplayer option.

Yes, I also enjoyed co-oping D:OS with hubby. This is probably the only proper RPG I enjoyed co-op. I usually enjoyed SP when it comes to RPG cause I have very different play style to hubby.

I would LOVE an MMO from them but I think this will simply have a multiplayer mode. I'm looking forward to it ... eventually ... after a year of delays.

Have an itchy suspicion they'll use Cyberpunk roles as multiplayer co-op shared storylines, intertwined with one another.
Outside of that, it can be fun with given enough context through side missions and 2077 should have loads of different playstyles for it.
The date seems legit enough though.

I have a feeling it will be a Divinity: Original Sin style implementation. Play by yourself, or with friends.

Or maybe a battle arena type thing.

Back
Top Bottom