Stocks/shares investments

I think, like that other thread about the stock market, it's kind of inevitable that politics gets involved, as it's inseparable from any broad discussion of economics. It was OK while the thread was just about personal investment advice, but as it's expanded to more general economic debate, it should probably be moved.

I think, like that other thread about the stock market, it's kind of inevitable that politics gets involved, as it's inseparable from any broad discussion of economics. It was OK while the thread was just about personal investment advice, but as it's expanded to more general economic debate, it should probably be moved.

So far this is the most political this thread has gotten.
How about just rest the watchdog mentality for a bit. Go read Henriques picture thread again :)

How about just rest the watchdog mentality for a bit. Go read Henriques picture thread again :)

Not trying to be a watchdog. Just that I'm always aware that a lot of people are bummed out when confronted with political stuff when they came to talk about RPGs. I'm just saying, let's put it in P&R, and then we can have at it.

It's not that simple. For example, you have many people who are single parents in the US who cannot spend the time on full-time jobs and take care of their kids.
"The results of the 2010 United States Census showed that 27% of children live with one parent, consistent with the emerging trend noted in 2000"

That's not a small portion of the population.

It's easy to judge other people, but the reality is certainly not what you portray.

Being a single parent and not being able to work does not mean the system is taking advantage of you or paying you less. It's a separate matter of not being able to work at the employment that is readily available.

I'm a single parent. I know exactly what the reality is. *erased personal rant on how well my x-wife is doing financially at this moment* If both co-parents are being honest financially, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Some may not be so fortunate to have a co-parent helping them financially. For these people there are many financial aid programs in place. If for some reason, they don't have access to financial aid or these tax incentives, then they are in a small percentage of people who actually do need help. But again, now we're using an excuse for something that affects a very small percentage of the population, as a main argument backbone for what... more than half country is trying to argue? Also, kids do not stay kids forever.

Everything I said still does not dismiss what I said in the earlier post. If anything, these individuals should be taking it to heart even more.

Ironically, a couple single parents I know were forced into educating themselves frugally because of their situation, and their net worth far exceeds that of many known acquaintances that feel they're "rich" because they bought new BMWs but wouldn't be able to cover next month's bills if they lost their job.

This is probably the point where this should be moved to P and R.

Yes indeedy.

My prediction is that the market will go down near the end of the year. There are Congress elections in November, and I'm expecting (and hoping) Democrats will win big, which would probably lower the market because of the potential of reinstating corporate restrictions or rejecting pro-corporate measures.

My prediction is that the market will go down near the end of the year. There are Congress elections in November, and I'm expecting (and hoping) Democrats will win big, which would probably lower the market because of the potential of reinstating corporate restrictions or rejecting pro-corporate measures.

Would that be possible ?
Aren't those things veto-able by Trump ?

I prefer to let go of what I can't control and embrace what I can (which sounds easy and obvious, but it's a relatively new application for me. I used to worry too much).

Being in Canada, north of my U.S. cousins also helps a little with stepping back and seeing the entire painting. I see a lot of protesting going around about capitalism, income and wealth inequality, etc (and we have our fair share of that in Canada too). What I see in the media vs what I see in reality are two different things. The majority just want to keep up with the Joneses, and consumerism exists in excess. People worry about their jobs, how their going to keep food on the table, that their being taken advantage of by the wealthy, etc, but here's the reality:

1) Well over 80% of vehicle purchases in the US are financed. Excuses: "Well if they have a secure job and not much debt, then why not?" ok then what about #2

2) 60% of Americans have less than $1000 in savings, and a large number of those have no savings at all.

3) The number 1, 2 and 3 selling vehicle in the US (and North America actually) is Full sized Ford Pickup, Full sized Chevy Pickup, Full sized Dodge pickup. That's right, the 3 most purchased vehicle are not even cars.

How many people actually need a truck?

- For work? Some yes, most no.
- For towing a trailer? Really you bought a trailer (maybe a boat too?) and a truck and then you complain about not making enough money?
- You like trucks? Excellent! Now stop complaining that gas is expensive after you decided you want to commute to work 2 hours a day in a full sized truck, and that life is financially hard because you wanted a vehicle that could carry your neighbors couch once a year.

I'm using vehicle purchase as an example, because aside from housing and schooling, it's the biggest purchase people make, and most people take less than 30 minutes to make that financial decision. But really it all says the same thing: People think their entitled to have everything they want, so they go into debt to get them. They want instant gratification. They're perfectly fine with buy a vehicle well above what they need, when they don't even have 4 (or even 3) digits worth of savings…

- I can't afford a vehicle! Stop financing something you can't afford. Buy used.
- Used isn't reliable! Used is very reliable if you buy a reliable used vehicle! (pre-purchase inspections are an actual thing, people)
- I work hard and deserve something nice! Spending an extra 20k every few years on a car so you can sit on a dead cow is your idea of something nice? Cmon, wake up and take a vacation (or 5) and/or put that in an index fund to retire early.
- I barely earn 30k a year! If you're earning 30k a year in a professional field, then get another job. You can earn more than that in a non-professional field. You can go take a trade RIGHT NOW and earn that much just as an apprentice, then be earning more than twice that in 4 years.
- But I love my job! Well great! But you can't have your cake and eat it too! If you love your job and don't make much money, you've personally chosen to do something you love, over making money, when making money is clearly an option!
- But my cost of living is super high! Then MOVE! There's plenty of cities ALL over the country that have lower costs of living and better wages!
- But I have a sick grandma that cannot be moved and I have a rare disease that costs me thousands in medical bills that I can't afford, and my x is suing me for millions and won't pay child support! In most cases this is greatly exaggerated, but if all of this is legit, then yes you are in the rare fraction of a percentage of people who genuinely need help, and can't use the thousands of financial aid programs out there to help you, then you finally have cause to give voice. But you are a minority, and the lack of funds that aid people in your position are being leeched from the majority who are lazy and a drain on society.

Again we have our fair share of it here in Canada too. Minimum wage is going to moved to $15/h, and the big controversy is that Tim Hortons will no longer offer paid breaks, and only partially cover the cost of their extended benefits… That's right… the absolute lowest paid full time employees in the province will make over 30k a year… and people are complaining…

TLDR: People complain about hard financial times, when most of the time, it's not really a problem. They just don't like the answers.

I said I have a hard time getting excited :)

I didn't say I take personal responsibility for the actions of other people.

As for your elaborate narrative neatly constructed to justify your own position by trivialising the challenges of other people and how they could just be different people and make smarter choices like they're all living in a vacuum where no other factors exist - and as if human nature isn't an obstacle to always doing the best thing, that's your business.

Personally, I don't take my own fortunate situation and make it into something everyone else could just have - and realise all the errors of their ways because they don't think like I think.

But that's me :)

Ripper likes to dictate how things should work in general. But our moderators usually have a better sense of what's reasonable. Not always, though.

As for moving the thread, I don't think my own personal interpretation is relevant. Most any thread can turn political - and many of the absolutely non-political threads do. If we're going all OCD on it, I don't think our moderators would ever get a moments rest :)

Then again, I don't fret about people sharing opinions - I never did.

When it comes to stocks - I don't think there's a way to completely ignore the political climate.

The only reason political threads turn bad is when people confuse their own personal position with the only right position. That doesn't have to happen - but you can spot the people involved very easily.

As for your elaborate narrative neatly constructed to justify your own position by trivialising the challenges of other people and how they could just be different people and make smarter choices like they're all living in a vacuum where no other factors exist - and as if human nature isn't an obstacle to always doing the best thing, that's your business.

Personally, I don't take my own fortunate situation and make it into something everyone else could just have - and realise all the errors of their ways because they don't think like I think.

But that's me :)

Ah we're back to the Ad Hominem attacks again.

Yep, that's basically the attitude every takes so justify their financial position in life. "It's someone else's fault! Not mine!" And if that what they choose, then nothing will change. Sad.

a103c0749d812bbd29089eb93a4f104b69b008109717f0e6eeea6f40c8881c35.jpg

Ah we're back to the Ad Hominem attacks again.

Yep, that's basically the attitude every takes so justify their financial position in life. "It's someone else's fault! Not mine!"

If you're going to play the victim every time someone comments on your position with anything but praise - so be it ;)

I don't attack people. I simply speak my mind about what they're saying. If it actually feels like an attack - then maybe it's time to reflect a little before whining.

If you're going to play the victim every time someone comments on your position with anything but praise - so be it ;)

I don't attack people. I simply speak my mind about what they're saying. If it actually feels like an attack - then maybe it's time to reflect a little before whining.

Pretty sure I already explained who the whining victims are. ;)

Again, the truth is hard...

Ripper likes to dictate how things should work in general. But our moderators usually have a better sense of what's reasonable. Not always, though.

No, I'm not trying to control anything, D'Art. I do have a sort of personal agenda, though. I do think this and certain threads should be moved for the benefit of people here for the RPGs... but it's also because I want to be able to explain to you and certain other people what utter bollocks you're talking without feeling guilty about inflicting the resultant bad noise on everyone.

Pretty sure I already explained who the whining victims are. ;)

Again, the truth is hard…

Yes yes, you know the truth about everyone and all that ;)

Let's get back to what you really care about: stocks!

He can but the market reacts on threat - that's why in my comments on the impact of the election it is hard to predict the immediate impact. In practical matters the Democrats are likely to not touch the corporate tax but will try to reinstate regulations and restrictions on coal and oil but this is not a broad set of industries. Also I would think they would attempt to remove the cherry pick tax breaks on the rich (pass through and estate taxes).
-
My comment on threat is the very reason the market ballon in 2018. The actual revenue benefits havent' occurred - it is just the optimism that under deregulation and tax changes profits will ballon. In a couple of years if profits under perform expectation or market is fearful of changes then the market could plummet (and the short term plummet could be greater than the ballon - though eventually things will average out).
-
My investment style is mostly immune to the above issue but if you are in index funds there is real risk (but I could be totally wrong).

-
Also note that this is specific to USA; European stocks would likely not be impacted negatively.

Would that be possible ?
Aren't those things veto-able by Trump ?

Let's get back to what you really care about: stocks!

Ok :party:

As @Corwin; said, if you're already retired, or trying to live off your nest egg, then you'll want to either invest in yearly GIC / Term Deposit for a steady income, or convert your portfolio to lean heavily on bonds (usually bond percentage of your portfolio should roughly equal your age, and probably higher than that if you're retired). You'll always still want a small index portfolio for growth and stability.

By the time most people get here though, they've got some investment smarts and have a good idea of what strategy they want to use.

Time to resurrect this thread. :)

I recently opened a trading account for the first time in many years. However, I haven't paid much attention to the market recently and have no idea where to begin.

I've got around 15k for purchasing to start with, and I also have 200 shares each of Ford (F) and General Electric (GE) that were gifted to me.

I wish I had the money back when Apple split because I would have purchased as much as that as I could have afforded. Same when Facebook IPO'd.

What's the best (unbiased) website for tips and suggestions?

It was also suggested to me to start an IRA. I should have done that years ago, but is it still worth doing in my 40s? I'm put off by how low the annual contribution cap is.

It was also suggested to me to start an IRA. I should have done that years ago, but is it still worth doing in my 40s? I'm put off by how low the annual contribution cap is.

ROTH IRA = you pay the tax before putting the money in (so any gains are tax free)
401K = you pay the tax when you pull it out (so you only pay tax on what you withdraw)

So the theory is that first you want to max your 401k contributions, as your monthly salary will be theoretically lower when you retire (mortgage payed off, you only pull out what you live on, don't need extra income to put away for retirement because you're already retired, etc). You also should get a tax return for what you contribute, so you can further re-invest it for bigger compounded returns.

I've always considered an IRA as a good long term savings engine, but not a retirement engine. I don't recall how it works in the US, but in Canada it's called a TFSA, and you can combine the amounts of the previous years you did not contribute (so if you had $5000 of room in 2016, 2017 and 2018, but didn't contribute to your TFSA in any of those years, you could contribute $15000 this year).

EDIT: Just checked, it's not the same case with ROTH IRA. You can only pull money tax free from the IRA if your 59 or older (and it has been open for at least 5 years), and you can't add previously missed. In that case I would only use it if you've maxed out your 401K contributions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom