11 days to Grimoire release. Yay.

Yes, Corwin took some lovely photos of Cleve's bomb shelter.

I've never been one to care about the latest and greatest though. I wait until there's 10 new games I want before buying a console, buy used, and rarely run the highest settings even if I can. I play ADOM and Dwarf Fortress as well as newer games, and still play my old DOS and Win95/98 stuff as well. The reasons I want to get a more powerful laptop are Dragon Age, Gothic 3, and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Why not just build a desktop on the side, and keep your laptop for the older games? Like you said, you can do more for less $ in terms of hardware with a desktop, although I don't know if that would also require you to buy a new monitor.

Once you play Dragon Age at 1920x1200, you won't want to go back. :)

What's Bad Company like anyways? It looks like a Modern Warfare clone. Does it have a decent single-player campaign?

I only want it for the MP portion. A group I've gamed with for about 5 years or so on Call of Duty: United Offensive has a server set up. It's a 32 player server, and remains packed. Then again, the UO server is a 44 player server, and remains pretty packed.

I only recently actually played the SP portion on CoD2. The group had a CoD2 server, but no one played because the weapons had no recoil, and the maps were so tiny that there was no point in getting anything but a SMG, as those could be used to snipe. CoD4 and WaW servers failed so fast, that I didn't even bother with them.

In UO, I almost always have a bolt action rifle, except for American maps, where I generally use a BAR. I disliked the semi-auto rifles in UO, oddly the one thing CoD2 got right was reducing recoil to the point that the lower damage didn't make them useless as a rifle.

As far as building another desktop, even with buying a monitor and keyboard I could probably manage to price it less than what the laptop I was looking at would run. *shrug* I might do it. I don't need RAM, actually, since I have 8gb laying around the house. Probably got a soundblaster too. I already promised my mom I'd reformat this laptop and set it up for her, so using it for older stuff is out.

At the risk of sounding dense, can I assume the web site that proclaims March 2010 as the release date ('YOU WILL BELIEVE A BABY CAN FLY!") is a hoax?

no, it was released. Release was secret though, only few chosen can play

It was probably not a hoax. He has been working on the game for about 15 years. He probably did believe or at least hope to release the game in March. But, that isn't anything new. Pretty much every year (sometimes twice a year), he announces a release date. Maybe Grimoire will come out next month, next year, 15 years, or never. I would not say that the website is a hoax, more like Cleve's perpetual hope to finally get the game done. I suspect every time he sets a date, he hopes that will be the pressure he needs to actually get it done. Plus, I also think he enjoys the little stir created every time he posts a new date.

Missed release dates are nothing odd in the game industry, but Cleve has turned it into a hobby.

I mostly agree, Baff, with one exception: the game has basically been done (as in "ready for release") for quite a while. Cleve could kick his game out the door today and we could all play it from start to finish. He's got a terminal case of "spit-shine" disease—he always finds something that could be a little better and never seems to hit that "good enough" line that all projects have to have.

Splash screen changed - now it's Coming Soon in 2010.

I can hardly wait!

Splash screen changed - now it's Coming Soon in 2010.

I can hardly wait!
If the splash screen is programmed to always show the current year, it will never again need an update in the future!

If the splash screen is programmed to always show the current year, it will never again need an update in the future!

depending on how it's coded, it could suffer from the 'Y20*' bug and go from 12/31/2099 to 1/1/2000... which would open the time capsule with the game CD

Either Cleve is now making a game about Armenians and Turks, or he has been hacked. The hacker must be so proud to have gotten into such a prestigious and highly secure site.

I do all my browsing on a Mac so I don't give any thought to viruses, but those with Windows might want to double check their virus scanners are up to date before going to take a look.

For the last couple weeks, grimoiresystems.com has just been a broken image and some hidden text (his stuff, not the hack job). Now I just get "Safari can’t find the server."

Cleve is probably just updating the website again. Considering how long it takes him just to make the game itself, it's likely he'll need a few weeks for that ;).

Um some questions.

What are the 15 professions?

Will there be an equivalent of the gadgeteer of Wizardry 8?

EDIT: Just found the screen. Looks nice. I think that me and my dad will like it.

There is no Gadgeteer in Grimoire, but there are plenty of different classes with tons of variety.

Thanks. Shame there is no gadgeteer. Sirtech were in the forefront of making things out of crap you find, would have been a nice homage to them.

First, most of Grimoire was developed either before, or at the same time as Wiz 8. Secondly, Cleve as a former employee of Sirtech wouldn't be doing them any homage!! :)

Back
Top Bottom