Enderal - Video Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Testractus has reviewed the open world RPG Enderal:

Enderal is a total conversion for TES V: Skyrim: a game modification that is set in its own world with its own landscape, lore and story. It offers an immersive open world, all for the player to explore, overhauled skill systems and gameplay mechanics and a dark, psychological storyline with believable characters.

Enderal is free and can be played by anyone owning a legal copy of TES V: Skyrim. (No DLCs are necessary.) It is developed non-commercially by SureAI, the team behind the renowned Oblivion mod Nehrim: At Fate´s Edge (and various other projects).

Features:

• An open world with its own lore and hand-crafted, detailed and diverse landscapes (desert, heathlands, forests, jungles, mountains and more)
  • An unconventional story with psychological and philosophical undercurrents
  • German and English localizations, both fully voiced by dozens of speakers, many with a professional background
  • Multi-faceted, believable characters with own ambitions and motivations
  • Overhauled gameplay with experience points, survival mechanics and hard, challenging combat
  • An overhauled skill system with classes and new special abilities
  • A housing system allowing the player to design their own homes

More information.

I'm playing Enderal for some time now and if you like open world games this RPG is a must-play-game!

I'm playing Enderal for some time now and if you like open world games this RPG is a must-play-game!

Cool, gonna have to play it. Was waiting for some patches first.

Enderal just makes me want to go back to Skyrim, so I did.

Imho Quest wise and Stability / Polish-wise Skyrim is better.

If you like the pure exploration part, Enderal is probably better. Also Enderal is better balanced than Skyrim was at release. I don't know how that developed with patches in Skyrim though.

I'm 75 hours in and have done maybe only a 3rd of the mainquest now, because exploring is just too fun.
It has most of the short-comings of Skyrim combat, but that was to be expected. Some bugs, some CTDs, but nothing I could not solve with the help of the net.
It is a great achievement that SureAI managed to pull it of. Every RPG-player should give a try.

I love going off and exploring so this seems like my kind of game. It doesn't scale with your character lvl, I read, so I love that also. I must be one of the few that enjoyed Skyrim combat so I am looking forward to this. Trying to wait a few patches. Have any patches been released yet?

Yes, there have been several patches yet. That said lots of stuff is still broken, including a core game mechanic being highly exploitable (which you will also just exploit by accident), and crashes are still frequent at about 1 crash for every one or two hours of gameplay. Saving and Loading is rather quick though.

I have only experienced crashes, when the game was trying to load a new level - around every 2 or 3 hours. The game auto-saves often - "Save often manually" is still a good advice and it just takes a few seconds.

I'm waiting for some major patches, but Skyrim with better exploration certainly sounds alright to me.

Yes, there have been several patches yet. That said lots of stuff is still broken, including a core game mechanic being highly exploitable (which you will also just exploit by accident), and crashes are still frequent at about 1 crash for every one or two hours of gameplay. Saving and Loading is rather quick though.

I'm playing the English version and there have benn quite a few patches already. There are still some bugs, although I don't get that many CTDs. Maybe one in 5 to 10 hours of play and usually only while changing locations.

Meaning Skyrim is better?

There is no Enderal without Skyrim, so yeah. However, I just meant that I was going to play Enderal and ended up starting Skyrim instead :) I will play Enderal for sure. I'm just waiting a while.

I'm sure there is a joke on Bethesda's expense here, but I just can't come up with anything. :p

I'm sure there is a joke on Bethesda's expense here, but I just can't come up with anything. :p

Maybe someone can mod in a joke for you to fix it?

Funny and strange discussion that people are comparing it to the quality of Skyrim. You guys know SureAI do this for free, right? Bethesda are kind of seasoned professionals with a huge budget, time, resources, etc....

Anywho, Nehrim was literally amazing, and better than 98% of RPGs I've played in the past 10 years. If Enderal has any of that type of quality that Nehrim did, I will love it.

Funny and strange discussion that people are comparing it to the quality of Skyrim. You guys know SureAI do this for free, right? Bethesda are kind of seasoned professionals with a huge budget, time, resources, etc….

Imho it's completely irrelevant whether it's from a AAA developer or from an indie developer. Whether it's 50€ or if it's for free.

All that counts is if the product itself is fun or not. I wouldn't want to play a horrible game, just because it's from an indie developer. Neither would I play a game just because it's free. I play it because it's fun.

Now if you are limiting yourself to the question "Should I buy it or not" or "Should I test it or not", then yes. Being free is a great argument to give it a try.
But a game doesn't become better just because it's free or developed by fans.

Completely irrelevant to compare a product made for free (not counting the SureAI devs personal time) vs. a game with an $85 million budget? Mmk.

I hope SureAI gets a chance with an $85 million budget someday. What they did with Nehrim was basically a miracle.

Completely irrelevant to compare a product made for free (not counting the SureAI devs personal time) vs. a game with an $85 million budget? Mmk.
Well, let's say that the game was total crap. Would you play it anyway?
If you had to give both games a score, what would it be?
And how much of your Enderal score is "because it was free and from fans"?

I hope SureAI gets a chance with an $85 million budget someday. What they did with Nehrim was basically a miracle.
Yep, that would be awesome.

I just think it's a bit unrealistic to think SureAI can compete with Bethesda in terms of polish and even overall quality, to an extent. Even Nehrim, as brilliant as it was, had stuff lacking due to lack of time/resources/money, like NPCs who didn't have anything to say, etc. The game was still amazing, but I'm saying, you're trying to compare a fan-made team who does this in their spare time and is essentially non-profit, vs. a seasoned team of professionals with an $85 million budget. Still, Nehrim definitely held its own, flaws and all, so kudos to SureAI.

Back
Top Bottom