The Mandate - Dead in the Water?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GameWatcher There has been no sign of life around The Mandate.

Just yesterday we broke the news that developer Playdek was quitting their troubled Kickstarter RPG Unsung Story. Today we have another Kickstarter RPG, that frankly we were personally more excited about than Unsung Story, but this one seems to be completely dead. We're talking about highly ambitious space strategy-RPG The Mandate, which raised $701,010 from 16,408 backers in 2013.

It is now August 2017, with the game two years out from developer Perihelion Interactive's estimated release date, and there have both been no updates from the developer since April. Furthermore Perihelion's own website is offline, and the developer itself may have been dissolved.
[...]
Recently backer 'Count Thalim' on the forum dug up legal documents suggesting that Perihelion Interactive has been dissolved, with The Mandate trademark not renewed since April. The final piece, The Mandate website and forum (which is still active with backers commiserating the game's demise), is due to expire on August 19 so it will be quietly taken offline then.
More information.

There goes another one. At least I got a USB key in the form of a spaceship from them once (Gamescom 2015, I belief). So I have something for my money :)

I backed it, just at $20 though. Sad to see it bite the dust. Oh well, that's kickstarter for you!

Feel like these majorly ambitious "we'll do everything, including a whole bunch of stuff no one's ever done before!" style RPGs are just begging to fail, no matter who the developer is.

From the article:
It seemed too good to be true, and apparently it was.
Says it all right there.

$700,000 USD and they dont' have the decency to say why they failed.

Pathetic and weak.

Their lead artist got a job at EA but the others have vanished. Scrubbed their online presence pretty hard including changing the contact info on kickstarter and the "about us" section.

I hope karma bites these suckers in the butt for nothing else other than being too weak to issue a fail statement.

Yeah. You're right. I was too blase earlier. Those coms are contemptible for a 700k project. I understand these things fail but trying to wipe the project from the slate without explaining why it failed is pathetic.

So Kickstarter success is less than 50% for me, which is worse than even I thought possible 4-5 years ago. It was a nice idea, and I'll look back fondly on the hope it gave along with the cautionary lessons learned. With very few exceptions, it seems the only game projects worth backing were from studios who didn't need Kickstarter in the first place.

Looking at other KS projects (non-game), it seems to have become a liability-free cash machine for entrepreneurs with ideas or products that would probably find a market, anyway. Good for them, I guess. I'll keep my money and buy it later, when it's much cheaper and the kinks have been worked out.

This is bad news; not catastrophic, but I love the idea they pitched. I would have accepted a more modest version, too!

This is bad news; not catastrophic, but I love the idea they pitched. I would have accepted a more modest version, too!

Did you see their "combat demo".
It was shit. It went from 3D promises to wonky 2D terrible graphics that looks like it came from 1999.

And this is why I never back any project, period.

Make a game and if I like what I see or hear about I will buy it.

They could at least issue some sort of statement.

"Thank you for all the lovely money. It was delicious."

Did you see their "combat demo".
It was shit. It went from 3D promises to wonky 2D terrible graphics that looks like it came from 1999.

This.
When I saw it, I immediately knew that whatever game will come out of this it will be shit.

It looked and sounded so good in the beginning. I even thought this might be my dream game, if they pull it off. Too good to be true. Sadly.

Oh well. Actually i saw the news about a month ago that they had dissolved. There was some thread about the forum being on-lline until the domain expires. Hum. tempting to grab the domain but not really my style.

there's a ceiling for triple A games using crowdsourcing and its never enough to fund it by itself. The best they can do is leverage it for outside funding.

One shame is, some of the worst pitches have been by people with established reputations already who are more likely to deliver.

My question is, do you have to promise the moon to hit that ceiling?

If you raised $700k why not budget a $700k game? And do you have the management know how to handle that kind of budget?

Seems more and more of these stories lately. When SC crashes, so go our dreams of going into space!

Watched the video, shame it seemed interesting, Mother Space Russia.

Seems more and more of these stories lately. When SC crashes, so go our dreams of going into space!

Watched the video, shame it seemed interesting, Mother Space Russia.

Vas ist das "SC"?

Kickstarter projects should pledge to release all of their assets into the creative commons if they fail, so at least the world gets something out of it.

Star Citizen, I'm guessing.

Thanks, I thought he was saying South Carolina. This is why I stopped using abbreviations in code.

I mean, even around here C&C, PoE, and DOS all can mean at least two things each.

Back
Top Bottom