Beamdog - David Gaider Farewell

I wonder if they're planning to give the EE treatment to The temple of Elemental Evil. I think for that game they should do more than just give a face lift. If you've watched Obsidian guys' interviews, the subject of lost potential and cut content with game comes around constantly.

I wonder if they're planning to give the EE treatment to The temple of Elemental Evil. I think for that game they should do more than just give a face lift. If you've watched Obsidian guys' interviews, the subject of lost potential and cut content with game comes around constantly.

They mentioned doing it before. Arcanum, too. Can't remember what they said the last time I heard about it, though.

Well we can hope for the best, I guess. As I said they are already working with WotC closely and developing relationships with them. So while those things are generally true about game development, it helps when you make friends in high places :)

If I understand correctly the EEs are springboards to eventually making their own game, but it is going to take time to get there. They are currently showing and proving to Wizards, and they worked closely with them on the previous Enhanced Editions as well. They even staff a decent-sized team, comparable to devs like Piranha Bytes. I think Trent said they had at least 30 working at their peak on the previous EEs (if not more, I don't remember the exact number.) But it was actually a bit more than I thought, as I thought Beamdog were even smaller than that.

If NWN:EE is a big success for them then their own 5th Edition D&D RPG will probably come sooner than later. I also *think* (don't quote me) they have 2 other projects in the works they can't talk about yet, but we'll hear about "soon." Phil said that in a livestream.

30 people is actually a decent sized team. I think that was about as many people worked on Might and Magic X, and a little shy of what InXile or Obsidian (on non AAA projects) field.

TOEE seems like a possible choice, since I think it was an Atari property, just like Neverwinter Nights. I think it actually sold decently at the time too.

30 people is actually a decent sized team. I think that was about as many people worked on Might and Magic X, and a little shy of what InXile or Obsidian (on non AAA projects) field.

Yeah, 30 people surprised me a bit. For some unknown reason I assumed they were even smaller than that. Siege of Dragonspear to me also feels like a pretty decently polished, "upper mid-level" type of experience. I expected less from it, honestly, and it surprised me in that regard. It doesn't feel like a cheaper indie product at all, IMO.

TOEE seems like a possible choice, since I think it was an Atari property, just like Neverwinter Nights. I think it actually sold decently at the time too.

I almost want to say that they are considering ToEE, but that perhaps they thought the modders who did the patches and fixes for it are already doing a great job. Dammit, they just talked about it in a recent livestream and I've forgotten already. If anyone has seen the livestreams and can comment, please do.

I know they desperately want to do an Ultima 7 EE, but they can't secure the rights currently. And someone mentioned Goldbox EEs but Trent thinks they are a bit too old.

An Ultima 7 EE would be too good to be true.

I still want to see them do IWD II to complete the IE collection. Arcanum and ToEE would both be great too

An Ultima 7 EE would be too good to be true.

I still want to see them do IWD II to complete the IE collection. Arcanum and ToEE would both be great too

Beamdog said that whoever owns the Ultima 7 rights was asking too much money.

I'd like to see all of those as well. And I saw someone from Beamdog quoted on the Codex about how he couldn't wait to enhance Konung, another IE series, but I'm not sure if the person was joking or not. Even though I played Konung 2 and enjoyed it, I'm not sure if that's going to be a game that modern audiences will spend the time to dig into and enjoy.

I'm pretty sure Electronic Arts picked up all the rights to all previous Ultima games when they acquired Origin and they still own them to this very day.

I think you're rights. I love it how publishers pick up the rights to classic series and sit on them for decades, doing nothing till they are commercially no longer viable, preferring that other developers and publishers make new similar games under a different name.

I guess their more immediate plans of full blown games are not happening then. There's little point in having a guy like Gaider around if you're mostly doing mods and enhanced editions. A bit of a shame, as it seemed to be the start of something big when he signed up (I assumed at the time that they had a specific game in mind, which they had used to lure him in).

Back
Top Bottom